City of Heroes

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

iannis

Musty Nester
Server was doa yesterday. I'd give it a week.

Ncsoft probably won't shut it down. Years ago one of those emu teams asked permission, and eventually got it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Will it be the COH where they censored all the Nazi faction stuff after they released the game in Europe?

iannis

Musty Nester
It's a late build. So yeah, I think so.

Remember that cryptic was starting to sell individual powersets? They've got a few of those, I think.

Dinadass

Molten Core Raider
2500 players online on the test server. Retail servers maxed out at 1500 each back in the day apparently. I could see this having Nost numbers when the actual server launches, although I’d expect a lot of people to play it briefly and move on to something else.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
My best case fantasy is that ncsoft sees it and realized they could run an official emu for five to ten bucks a month and make free money.

Not a lot of money, but free money.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They probably wouldn't because they'd need to pay staff and for resources running it. I bet there's a break even number that's several multiples of 2500 players.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
They probably wouldn't because they'd need to pay staff and for resources running it. I bet there's a break even number that's several multiples of 2500 players.

That's only 2500 online concurrently. The actual number is (normally) about 10-20 times that.

For example, I know of a game that has ~200 CCUs that has 80,000 MAUs (monthly active users) - I'd imagine the figure for CoH to be in the hundreds of thousands based on data reported alone.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's only 2500 online concurrently. The actual number is (normally) about 10-20 times that.

For example, I know of a game that has ~200 CCUs that has 80,000 MAUs (monthly active users) - I'd imagine the figure for CoH to be in the hundreds of thousands based on data reported alone.
That could be true. I always thought CoH/CoV was one of those games that was shut off before it was time.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm on here trying it cuz I never played live.

Tons of people but a lack of mobs.

unknown-66~2.png

unknown-52~2.png

unknown-60~2.png

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
All the mobs are up and lookin' good where I've been so far loggin in today.

elec/dark corruptor.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
NCSoft has granted a license to the Homecoming server.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Cybsled

That's pretty cool - at least makes it more official now. I wonder what the development limitations in the contract are

Sterling

El Presidente
This game has maybe the best character creation experience in any MMO.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Forgot this game was a thing. Played a bit at release and never went back. I assume it's been improved upon over the years?

Cybsled

Like original game release? or the emu server release?

Original game release they changed quite a bit - they had the whole City of Villains expansion and added stuff like building a superhero base

When the game launched in Germany, they removed the Nazi badguys pretty much at the sametime and replaced them with Confederacy badguys then claimed the removal of the Nazi badguys had nothing to do with the game launch in Germany lol

This game has maybe the best character creation experience in any MMO.

This 100%. The character creation was insanely flexible, although if you think about it, it is because you didn't loot normal gear like traditional MMOs and instead got shit that boosted your powers. So since you never had to worry about designing different armor sets/etc, players just made their hero to look however they wanted.

Sterling

El Presidente
Like original game release? or the emu server release?

Original game release they changed quite a bit - they had the whole City of Villains expansion and added stuff like building a superhero base

When the game launched in Germany, they removed the Nazi badguys pretty much at the sametime and replaced them with Confederacy badguys then claimed the removal of the Nazi badguys had nothing to do with the game launch in Germany lol

This 100%. The character creation was insanely flexible, although if you think about it, it is because you didn't loot normal gear like traditional MMOs and instead got shit that boosted your powers. So since you never had to worry about designing different armor sets/etc, players just made their hero to look however they wanted.
You also got to name your character some retarded shit too. The Electrocutioner was a swell name for my electricity/tech blaster. I assume the EMU has fixed caltrops though so it wouldn't be the same.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
You also got to name your character some retarded shit too. The Electrocutioner was a swell name for my electricity/tech blaster. I assume the EMU has fixed caltrops though so it wouldn't be the same.

My fav character that I made was a male Fire tank named "Flame Retarded".

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users