Civil engineering career thread

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Bim is used by the larger firms in my area. My firm we use acad land development desktop from 2006.

I tried civil 3d pro a few times and just hated how it works. Plus I have been using my cad for 14+yrs I know EXACTLY where everything is menuwise.

Lendarios, it took 4 tries and a 6 month drlay due to covid,but I am a licensed registered professional land surveyor in MA as of 3 weeks ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
minor update

owner of the company(my father) died yesterday, so once everything is settled, i will own the company.(which i have been running for the past 16 months) so now i am in charge of me, 4 full time employees, 2 associates and my step mom who does all the bill paying. one of the employees(who has a masters in civil engineering) is taking the eit in october as he starts the registration process.

i finally set up a square account to take credit cards and that has helped as some of my regular customers switch to CC (and it makes it easier that i do not have to drive 45 minutes to an hr to get to their office to drop of plans/get a check.

revenue is coming back to "normalish", we need ~7500 per week, and we've been right around that number for the past few months and are slowly building back up a buffer in the bank. (been over 9k a week for the past month, this week it will be 9k -possibly 14k+ if i collect from one or two other clients this week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Bim is used by the larger firms in my area. My firm we use acad land development desktop from 2006.

I tried civil 3d pro a few times and just hated how it works. Plus I have been using my cad for 14+yrs I know EXACTLY where everything is menuwise.

Lendarios, it took 4 tries and a 6 month drlay due to covid,but I am a licensed registered professional land surveyor in MA as of 3 weeks ago.
For what it’s worth…I’m not directly involved in surveying anymore but a tangential field. But, having used land desktop for many many years, literally everyone I know who switched to Civil 3D said it sucks at first but they love it even more after learning it. Microstation though, you want to talk about shit.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i don't have the time to spend learning it though, i need to get my plans done afap and taking several weeks to figure out how to make my plans "work" in civil 3d pro just not gonna happen until such time as i HAVE to switch due to the city of boston not taking the cad version we use- plus i can just convert the plans to newer cad versions via trueview...

the very last version of 3d pro (first version)i tried to use, had no way to actually easily import points in p,n,e,z,d format (point north east elev desc)

mostly we use one of the LAST versions of cad before they went subscription based. so that saves us ~10k a year on subscription fees.

we will upgrade, eventually, since one of our employees knows how to use it, and my son does too- one of our computers (son's old computer) actually has the student version installed on it.(he is a junior at umaine school of engineering this fall)

Last edited: