Civilization Online. Not on Facebook

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
If you've already played the - now defunct - Civ facebook game, well, that's not it.

XL Games (Archeage) is trying to get the A Tale in the Desert mixed with PvP:

Civilization Online

Citz

Silver Squire
It's been in closed beta in Korea forever now with no known news about the english version.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Looks interesting, but far away. Like Citz says no English version is announced. It looks a lot like Albion online.

I can't really tell if it's a persistent and permanent MMO or if it's a phased game that lasts a few hours, a day or a week or something. If it's a permanently MMO where each server starts at the stone age and works toward space throughout the life cycle of the game I don't know how'd it work. Either it'd get to the space age and kill the server or XL Games would stop adding content in the medieval period.

A semi-permanent MMO that cycles every week or so would be more interesting. You'd control a character that would have two leveling paths, one that was reset every cycle and went from stone->space and one that was permanent and kept with all the cycles.

Especially interesting would be if they made the game like GW2's WvW where many servers exist and three of them face off at different tiers.

But ultimately this would combine my least favorite parts of strategy games and MMOs: Leveling and all the work you did being reset. I just want to level once, I just want to gear once and I just want to build a castle once. If I have to do that every cycle the only way this would work for me and most of the PvP community is if those things can be done via active PvP rather than PvE.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I can't really tell if it's a persistent and permanent MMO or if it's a phased game that lasts a few hours, a day or a week or something. If it's a permanently MMO where each server starts at the stone age and works toward space throughout the life cycle of the game I don't know how'd it work. Either it'd get to the space age and kill the server or XL Games would stop adding content in the medieval period.
They've alluded at "like A Tale in the Desert".

Basically, in ATITD, you can get up to 7 achievements in 7 disciplines. Some are easy, other are infuriatingly hard, a lot are competitive. When you have all 7 Oracles (i.e. one person gets 7 ranks in a discipline), the game ends, server resets with different rules, new mechanics, different achievements. It's normally around a year per tale, slower if there's not enough subs and content is slightly harder to come (the dev throttles the speed at which some stuff can be done).

In practice, it's looks like WoW would be if you bumped all the chars to max and removed the previous zones for every new expansion.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
XLGames is the developer. If you seriously consider spending any money or time on this game, you are a complete stooge.