Civilization VI

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
In previous games it was ruins or barbarian huts. Now I'm like...egg.

I think streamers can't play the ...third? Difficulty. Which is the level newbies and retards play at.

Dude was playing on prince, I'm pretty sure. I think that's the difficulty I play civ 5 on, maybe one higher (king?). Even on the easiest difficulty the AI should be grabbing up local huts.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Dude was playing on prince, I'm pretty sure. I think that's the difficulty I play civ 5 on, maybe one higher (king?). Even on the easiest difficulty the AI should be grabbing up local huts.

I can win deity but immortal is the most fun for me...however if shaka is on the map it's usually a loss. But if its prince...that doesn't bode well. But in civ5 you could snake ruins because enemy scout patterns have holes. Ruins like to spawn 4-8 tiles from a city and if they have a ton of land east and south they may get the east done and never hit south. That's why it's always always always best to go scout scout on initial build order. To steal huts and harass cities. If you can stop a second city going up or steal the initial worker with your warrior/scout that civ is crippled forever. Why scout scout in an island? Beeline your naval techs and you can have scouts hit those sweet sweet island ruins.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
This shit looks like the tits. Gonna ask the wife to let me get it for myself for my birthday later on this month when it's released.

don't wanna derail, and i'mma let you finish... but

i'm married. i get it. but i hurt inside when i hear you say you've got to ask the wife to LET YOU GET IT FOR YOURSELF. i dont ask my wife to buy me games. i'm sure she'd rather not. but i dont ask when I do!

now, if you have 17 kids or somethin, different story. but cmon breh. dont hurt me like that

*by the way, yeah i'm really fuckin stoked to get this game. i hope it's not a let down, i think i've already convinced myself it wont be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Haha...well I can see where you are coming from at least. Normally I just go ahead and buy what I want, but the last couple of games that I bought at $60 only ended up getting about 6 hours of playtime each.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
So is this a day 1 purchase or not ? I have not read much.. last time CIV V ripped out quite a bit of CIV 4 functionality and then added it back with DLC... It seems to be that this is actually CIV V+

can anyone confirm ?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So is this a day 1 purchase or not ? I have not read much.. last time CIV V ripped out quite a bit of CIV 4 functionality and then added it back with DLC... It seems to be that this is actually CIV V+

can anyone confirm ?

It's always been the general rule that Civ is pretty rough on release and needs an expansion or two until it's really good. I'll probably wait for the initial reviews on the final release build and if the AI is up to par i'll pull the trigger.

Civ 5 is my most hours played game (with expansions).

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

can anyone confirm ?

Watched TB play it, and saw Trump play it as well.

Both after having almost finished a Prince run said that it is probably the most feature complete Civ game at launch. Didn't seem to miss anything from Civ 5 (including expansions).
From what I recall from the Trump part (Also on his youtube channel)
- Combat units stacking makes it more likely to use units later in the game since it's not such a hassle moving them
- Appears (said it is not possible to tell from one game) that there are more ways to win and block said wins
- Involvement of city states are improved (IE: The envoy system and ability to use their armies)
- UI improved. Seemed more detailed, but also cleaner.
- AI still not the smartest, but Trump, looking at the health of a city when attacking it, noticed that there was a "prince" stat boost modifier on it. He also mentioned that the AI seemed to produce less troops. So he is guessing that in Civ 6, other countries will have increased stats as you go higher in difficulties, rather than swarming you with enemies.

Granted only watched a few hours of the game, but didn't notice anything missing.

EDIT:

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Watched TB play it, and saw Trump play it as well.

Both after having almost finished a Prince run said that it is probably the most feature complete Civ game at launch. Didn't seem to miss anything from Civ 5 (including expansions).
From what I recall from the Trump part (Also on his youtube channel)
- Combat units stacking makes it more likely to use units later in the game since it's not such a hassle moving them
- Appears (said it is not possible to tell from one game) that there are more ways to win and block said wins
- Involvement of city states are improved (IE: The envoy system and ability to use their armies)
- UI improved. Seemed more detailed, but also cleaner.
- AI still not the smartest, but Trump, looking at the health of a city when attacking it, noticed that there was a "prince" stat boost modifier on it. He also mentioned that the AI seemed to produce less troops. So he is guessing that in Civ 6, other countries will have increased stats as you go higher in difficulties, rather than swarming you with enemies.

Granted only watched a few hours of the game, but didn't notice anything missing.

EDIT:

Honestly, this is the big thing for me--I just can't get excited about most grand strategy games in this style anymore until they make their AI a lot better. You get to a certain difficulty and you can outplay the machine, but still just have a lot of difficulty. It just ends up being frustrating even if you win, because you realize what you have to do is follow a very tight pattern of behaviors to circumvent the advantage--the only surprises or adaptations come from how the map is laid out, not the enemy really.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
I can't get excited about civ level grand strategy after playing eu3 and 4. They're not perfect and not for everyone but the scale of countries is unsurpassed

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Eh, Civ and EU are completely different types of games. That'd be like comparing call of duty to diablo. I lost interest in Civ when it went 1UPT in civ 5 tho, no desire to play like that. Maybe in civ 7 they'll bring back stacks...

• 1Like

radditsu

Eh, Civ and EU are completely different types of games. That'd be like comparing call of duty to diablo. I lost interest in Civ when it went 1UPT in civ 5 tho, no desire to play like that. Maybe in civ 7 they'll bring back stacks...

Stacks was the worst thing about Civ4, wtf are you even talking about.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
so conflicted about getting it on so many levels.
Got Civ V on sale a while back with all the dlc's. Maybe played about an hour :) Now I'm thinking, get Civ VI.

• 1Solidarity

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The main problem of unstacking things was that it further displayed how inept they are at writing tactical ai. It went from "The AI can sometimes win fights based on sheer #s/production advantage" to "You beat the AI with a quarter their forces."

They're both dumb, just in their own "special" ways.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
The main problem of unstacking things was that it further displayed how inept they are at writing tactical ai. It went from "The AI can sometimes win fights based on sheer #s/production advantage" to "You beat the AI with a quarter their forces."

They both suck, just in different ways.

Well I don't run into that issue personally because since past civ 2, I've only play MP with all humans.

Didn't know that about the AI

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

They're both dumb, just in their own "special" ways.

Pretty much this, I just happen to have zero interest in a game where I can park one unit on a choke and be safe forever from anything and I read way too many stories like that on the Civ forums I used to frequent.

Never played a multiplayer Civ game, I liked doing long games with lots of civs on the map.

radditsu

Pretty much this, I just happen to have zero interest in a game where I can park one unit on a choke and be safe forever from anything and I read way too many stories like that on the Civ forums I used to frequent.

Never played a multiplayer Civ game, I liked doing long games with lots of civs on the map.

This is very reductive and almost never the case you can just "put one" unit in a place and be safe forever. Its VERY rare, plus units can disembark to water and move around if needed. Especially against a warmonger who can absolutely grind you down with unit production.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
so conflicted about getting it on so many levels.
Got Civ V on sale a while back with all the dlc's. Maybe played about an hour :) Now I'm thinking, get Civ VI.

If you only put an hour into Civ V with the DLCs, I would definitely not get this. I've got 1000+ hours into civ v and i'm still debating if I want to get this right away or wait for a few days for some real reviews.