Classic games you loved and why. (Nostalgia thread)

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I was just sitting here and suddenly thought back to ancient times when me and my older bro would be playing Rivercity Ransom all day long. It was hours and hours of fun, and i know if they ever made a new one it would be some 3D action game that is nothing like its old school version.

rrr_img_94779.jpg

I always thought the guy on the left on the cover looked like the dude from Miami Vice!

rrr_img_94778.jpg

What games did you love growing up?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Metal Gear. Felt like some accomplished when I finally beat it (official nintendo players guide helped alot).

rrr_img_94781.jpg

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
I could list a million obvious ones (Super Mario World, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, etc.)...

But I'll take this moment to throw some love at what I feel is one of the most underrated and greatest games of all time, Legend of The Mystical Ninja for SNES.

It's an insane mesh of top-down action adventure, side-scroller, and RPG-lite, chock-full of truly awesome mini-games (you can actually play Gradius)... and to top it off, it's co-op.

The soundtrack is gorgeous, the gameplay is fluid, the controls are spot-on and it's actually quite a challenging game.

If you've never played it before, I recommend checking it out ASAP. It doesn't get nearly the respect it deserves. For me, it's definitely one of the 10 best SNES games ever made.

rrr_img_94784.jpg
rrr_img_94785.jpg
rrr_img_94786.gif
rrr_img_94787.jpg

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't have a picture of it. but anyone else remember the gold box series? How about the Buck Rogers Gold box game?

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I was just sitting here and suddenly thought back to ancient times when me and my older bro would be playing Rivercity Ransom all day long. It was hours and hours of fun, and i know if they ever made a new one it would be some 3D action game that is nothing like its old school version.

rrr_img_94779.jpg

I always thought the guy on the left on the cover looked like the dude from Miami Vice!

rrr_img_94778.jpg

What games did you love growing up?
See avatar.

- oblig -

syndicate_nhl.png

synd.png

last month, syndicate was free on origin. playing it every once in awhile with out cheating. it's fairly challenging.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gotta be Wing Commander II for me because it was the first PC game I really loved. It was one of the first games that got me into tinkering with computers. A sound card, extra ram and a math co-processor were added to the family computer around this time. And I had to make a special boot disk just to squeeze out some extra juice. I also fondly remember the story. As cheesy as it seems today it was the first video game I played with long cut scenes that I didn't skip through or get bored watching(I was 13 or 14 at the time). It also was the first of that eras space flight sims that I played continuously through the mid 90's. Games like Wing Commander:privateer, Wing Commander 3 and Tie Fighter. I always get that rose colored nostalgia filter going when I see anything wing commander.

rrr_img_94789.jpg

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I don't have a picture of it. but anyone else remember the gold box series? How about the Buck Rogers Gold box game?
Best ever. Champions of Krynn, Pools of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds and Streams of Silver were my favorite.

Wings of Fury on the Apple II GS, Deja Vu, Deja Vu II, Shadow Gate, and Uninvited on a Mac SE. PT-109, and the original Falcon. Played them all at a buddy's house constantly.

Some of the best games ever.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Mine was XWing. A friend of mine would play together with him controlling shields/weps/engines and me flying. We destroyed 3 mice trying to play it with a mouse before we finally went and got a joystick.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The apex of competitive online FPS games, TRIBES. Played more like a team sport than a shooter, and was a truly unique and wonderful gaming experience. Like my other major gaming love, EverQuest, it was just laden with emergent gameplay, and had a passionate and interesting community. They were both easy to play,but difficult to master, and in both the rewards for doing so were huge.

I will forever miss it.