Classic games you loved and why. (Nostalgia thread)

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
rrr_img_94810.png

Joust was the funk too, just like Bonx Adventures

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Obligatory FF3 nod. Remember walking into WalMart when I was around 14 years old and doing my SNES aisle walk-by ritual. My little brother walked over to me with a FF3 box. We went crazy. We had no idea it was out to buy. $75 some odd dollars later, we had the game that still brings back great memories just by watching the opening sequence and title screen.

rrr_img_94818.jpg

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
My first real multiplayer, with my brother we played this for hours.
rrr_img_94902.jpg

I tried to play as realistic as possible and only survived until 1918 twice, my closest pilot died months before the end of the war. Legendary
rrr_img_94905.jpg

Manual pages referenced as passwords - it was the best when you began to memorize those fuckers.
rrr_img_94904.jpg

Master of Magic - no 4x has ever had me addicted like this game did.
rrr_img_94903.jpg

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Still have my copy of Pools of Radiance for the C64, with all the maps on graph paper in the box.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Obligatory FF3 nod. Remember walking into WalMart when I was around 14 years old and doing my SNES aisle walk-by ritual. My little brother walked over to me with a FF3 box. We went crazy. We had no idea it was out to buy. $75 some odd dollars later, we had the game that still brings back great memories just by watching the opening sequence and title screen.

rrr_img_94818.jpg
Cue Sean, "It's not Final Fantasy 3!!!"

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
250px-Destiny_of_an_Emperor_Cover.jpg

DoaEGuangling.png

DoaEGuangling2.png

Goddamn this game. This was the 2nd RPG I ever played on the NES after the original Dragon Warrior(but before Final Fantasy). THIS GAME WAS SO GODDAMNED HARD. The whole basis of the combat system is that your characters didn't really have "hit points" they had "soldiers" so that stat bar that looks like 1000 health is actually 1000 soldiers in that generals army. You lose them all, character dies. Seems simple enough, sounds like it works just like HP. NOPE. The less soldiers you have, the less damage you do when you attack. So basically, if you get attacked and lose soldiers(HP) not only are you closer to death, but you're double-fucked and you do less offensive damage now on your combat turn. That game was just ALL about initiative and who lucked into going first in a battle.

And not only that, but you have to constantly buy food for your "soldiers" that quickly depletes for every step that you take on the map(marching soldiers need to eat)...so somewhere near the end of the game I got stuck, and just had to wander the map over and over and over trying to figure out where to go, but my army was SO big that the random encounters I was triggering was not earning me enough money to cover the food I was expending by moving, and I eventally completely ran out of money, food, all my soldiers died, and the game became stuck/unplayable. PRobably a good 30-40 hours into the game, and that was it. I just couldn't play it anymore.

loved that game but it was so goddamned frustrating as a 12 year old, trying to figure it out. It wasn't an overly popular game, so there were no hintbooks, no strategy guides, Nintendo power never did a big article on it, nothing.

(For those of you wondering, it's the same background/setting as all of the awesome KOEI Romance of the 3 Kingdom games)

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The apex of competitive online FPS games, TRIBES. Played more like a team sport than a shooter, and was a truly unique and wonderful gaming experience. Like my other major gaming love, EverQuest, it was just laden with emergent gameplay, and had a passionate and interesting community. They were both easy to play,but difficult to master, and in both the rewards for doing so were huge.

I will forever miss it.

SHAZBOT
SHAZBOT
SHAZBOT
SHAZBOT
SHAZBOT

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Played the Bard's Tale series with a friend as a kid. We'd duo that shit with one guy mapping and one guy running the part. Much Mountain Dew was consumed.

rrr_img_94942.jpg

rrr_img_94943.png

Also, oblig.

rrr_img_94944.jpg

rrr_img_94945.jpg