Khane

Got something right about marriage
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Clickbait

Genre: Drama, Crime, Mystery

First aired: 2021-08-25

Creator: Tony Ayres, Christian White

Cast: Adrian Grenier, Zoe Kazan, Betty Gabriel, Phoenix Raei

Overview: When family man Nick Brewer is abducted in a crime with a sinister online twist, those closest to him race to uncover who is behind it and why.

Khane

New show on Netflix

First episode was good, next two were kinda meh. Interesting enough premise that I'll keep watching to see how it plays out. It's not very well acted through the 3 episodes I've watched though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wife started watching and I wasn't really paying attention. I told her it suffers from the same thing as "I Care A Lot."

The characters are just complete assholes. Why should I care about any of them? I don't know if it's a Netflix problem, or Millennial problem, but they write characters who you can't empathize with. If they all died I wouldn't care. So I had no interest in any resolution.

The opening sequence is the sister who's a giant cunt to her family and then decides to go whore it up. Awesome protagonist.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Wife started watching and I wasn't really paying attention. I told her it suffers from the same thing as "I Care A Lot."

The characters are just complete assholes. Why should I care about any of them? I don't know if it's a Netflix problem, or Millennial problem, but they write characters who you can't empathize with. If they all died I wouldn't care. So I had no interest in any resolution.

The opening sequence is the sister who's a giant cunt to her family and then decides to go whore it up. Awesome protagonist.

After watching the 4th episode I couldn't really put my finger on why I wasn't enjoying the show and this is exactly it. The characters all suck.

I might finish it just to see what the deal with the husband was but... not sure I will.

Cybsled

Unlikable characters are hard to write properly. Context of the story matters a lot…the reader or audience isn’t going to give a shit about the character and their fate unless there is an interesting hook to them or they are interacting with an interesting character you do care about.

Common writing trap is thinking an unlikable character is “complex” and if not developed properly in character or in
Context of the story, then the audience is going to tune out. Like look at good unlikable characters in fiction: they either fit this pseudo antihero mold, or they have some relatable aspect to their personality that the audience can identify with, or their interactions with other characters makes them entertaining.

Like the Grand Nagus on DS9 was an unlikable character, but the way Quark was constantly trolled or fucked with by the character made it entertaining

Khane

I finished this by fast forwarding through most of the family stuff and stopping for the "story". This is a very stupid show. Stupid twist after stupid twist.

Spoilers for anyone who wants to know just how much time they'd be wasting watching this show

If you've ever seen Talhotblonde (the doc, not the shitty adaptation movie) this is basically that. With some minor changes here and there. The dude never did anything, he was impersonated online by a psycho old lady he worked with which caused problems with the women she was catfishing online and that lead to his death. Meanwhile, after his murder the police investigate the women who were catfished and for some reason they lie and pretend they had actually met him (when they hadn't) which makes the police chase the wrong leads and his family are the ones who end up sleuthing out the true story (LOL)

EDIT: Also, they injected this into it as well Manslaughter of Conrad Roy - Wikipedia

They tried to ripoff two true stories and intertwine them and the execution was terrible

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
For some reason the 1st thing that pops in my head as a movie / show with characters I hated, but a movie I enjoyed, is Very Bad Things. No idea how many years it has been since seeing that but I remember conversations in our group about how everyone in the movie was reprehensible. Then again I also remember being the only person in the group that liked it. Maybe b/c of Kobe Tai, not sure. Need to do research...

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Binge watched this with the wife yesterday. Enjoyed it enough, I tend to enjoy almost anything in the crime/mystery genre and this was definitely serviceable.
This one has an annoying overused trope for this genre where the killer ends up being a peripheral/background character who's involvement & motive is only investigated at the very end after a series of red herrings.
I didn't think all of the characters were assholes. The sister definitely was but I still felt she was a likeable asshole with understandable motivations. The wife was fairly bland/stoic, don't know how you could think she is unlikeable (unless the infidelity is what makes you consider her an asshole). The kids were far less annoying than most TV kids are. I was pleasantly surprised about how the kids mystery online chat buddy turned out, that was one of my favourite parts of the series.

But ultimately what I felt while watching this was damn they should make more Jack Irish. Anyone who loves crime mystery should check that out, it's absolute top shelf stuff.

• 1Garbage

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Watched it with gf because we like "who done it" shit like crazy - So we enjoyed it up until we found out the answer lol.

Did not see that coming at all -

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Shows dumb but it’s worth pointing out that this show includes not only the guy kegkilla claimed to look like, but also the guy that kegkilla looked like

• 1Mother of God
TV show information provided by The Movie Database