CNC (Lasers, Routers, Etc)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
It's actually a really useful hobby, too. Having perfectly sized, custom storage boxes really comes in handy.
Screenshot_20200330-102843_Gallery.jpg

The post cutting work, like gluing, sanding, staining and epoxy inlay is the part that I've really been half assing because I don't have space at my current house to leave everything out to dry or good places to sand. Not having a garage/shop at my current house is slowly killing my soul.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Interesting, plant stakes it looks like? Some of those would either take a ridiculous time to engrave for that level of detail or come out as a charry mess I would think.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Interesting, plant stakes it looks like? Some of those would either take a ridiculous time to engrave for that level of detail or come out as a charry mess I would think.
Took 90 minutes to do all of them. Yea, I should have gone for score lines instead of engraved.

Screenshot_20200330-190911_Gallery.jpg

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Was texting my wife, brother in law and mother in law about COVID19 today....
20200404_173000.jpg

And I made this because I was going through Inkscape tutorials when he texted that picture.
Screenshot_20200404-173111_Gallery.jpg

My wife thinks it's kind of funny, but doesn't really want to see it anymore because it's her brother and she said "it looks like a BDSM thing".

So now I'm working on this, laughing my fucking ass off and trying not to wake up my daughter. I need help with a new name.

Darth ____________ ?

Screenshot_20200404-215730_Gallery.jpg

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've been making friends at the butcher shop because we've been eating from home so much and I asked them if they would be interested in some custom packaging for gifts (I told them I started going to the butcher because my woman got me a gift card for valentine's day and they liked the idea for a promotion).

This is a small sample, but I think it's coming together nicely. Still working in getting the fit perfect so that (hopefully) the box is all pressure fit and doesn't need any glue.

Screenshot_20200413-111109_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200413-111050_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200413-111059_Gallery.jpg

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm just now starting to sell some stuff and I'm harassing the woman to pick a company name and register a business so I can start stamping a logo on shit. Theres no other investment to make besides $200 to register a business, so I don't see why we shouldn't just roll the dice and take a crack at it. We're not taking it too serious, but here's the ideas so far:

Tum-A-Lum Customs
Frog water Customs
Rumbadger Customs
2Crackers Customs
Nigerian Prince Customs

Obviously we're trying to keep it local and/or "cheeky". Input?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Order going out! Still pretty fucking informal and half-ass, but the family is getting into it and I'm more excited about that than anything else.

Screenshot_20200419-105259_Gallery.jpg

I included a couple that are sanded and stained too, but I'm hoping he passes in those and just sticks with the rough cuts that still have scorch marks and stuff. On some stuff, I like the aesthetics of the burn marks

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I gave those to the guy for $100, he's sure he can double that selling them at the competitions he puts on. We were discussing future plans and designs and I mentioned that I had about 10 hours into designing that one, so he threw me an extra $200 for design time and said to make 30 more, then start on 50rnd or 100rnd ammo boxes for 5.56 and 7.62, for the reloaders. I really haven't penciled everything out yet, but that's a pretty reasonable start. The material cost for 1/8" Baltic birch is fucking nothing, so if all I have to do is design the boxes and run the machine, letting him handle assembly and sales, I'm happy.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nicely done, could be a huge market for custom ammo boxes/containers.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The best laser shop I ever dealt with for engraving and such is a small place outside of Philly called Innotech Laser. It's owned by a father/son combo. Jim is the Dad (he's the money guy) and Dave is the brains behind the act. It's a really good shop, and they do TONS of production for all types of people, including water bottles for Apple. Like... hundreds of thousands of them.

They're also good at doing very small runs. like 1-10 pcs. They used to do lots of laser engraving or just printing incredible designs on black anodized parts, where the laser turns that section white. Really quality stuff, but they're a pretty high end operation. It isn't "too" expensive, but they probably have 2-3 million tied up in all of their various lasers. At least they did 4 years ago. My dad still uses them for his work.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I really wish that I could find some places to part-time/hobby apprentice at for all the weird shit that tickles my fancy. I like being able to figure some stuff out on my own, but it's slow going to have to slog through all your own mistakes.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Let me ask you this. I have a business idea that basically is hinged around people having bracelets with custom engraved QR codes on them. How would you go about doing that? It could be bracelets, something that hangs off a necklace, etc.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've seen a few cool things done where a soundwave is recorded of something memorable, kids first words, graduation speech, whatever. Turn that soundwave into a bitmap/vector, laser etch it and then put the QR code in the corner so if its scanned it takes the person to a place where they can listen to it.

Not sure where they get hosted or that part of it, but the idea is pretty awesome to think about.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Let me ask you this. I have a business idea that basically is hinged around people having bracelets with custom engraved QR codes on them. How would you go about doing that? It could be bracelets, something that hangs off a necklace, etc.
I use an API to generate QR codes for a digital inventory system that I've been working on at work. Generating the QR code is easy as hell, so no issues there....including a URL link like k^M said.

As far as the laser goes....I would think that engraving them on a medallion of 1/16" or 1/8" wood would work just fine, then use leather for the straps. The glowforge will cut leather, too. That sounds pretty easy, honestly. If you're trying to do them in bulk as a business, I would think that the hardest part would be autofilling an SVG file with a list of 5,000 unique QR codes and making them ready for the cutter, instead of doing them one by one. Does that make sense? I have no idea if that's the direction you're aiming, but that was the difficulty for me with the QR code / inventory system I was working on. I wanted to keep a running tally of existing assets and generating a new QR code that conformed to a certain naming convention, without any duplicates. Never found a good solution for that.

This is what I use to generate QR codes for Asset IDs that are already in a database: http://api.qrserver.com/v1/create-qr-code/?size=100x100&data=ASSET15

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah that'd be the bitch and a half part of it, tie the QR codes to unique things in a way that isn't one at a time, even if copy/pasted. On a single item scale, price per time spent would be great, but in bulk? Might be just too much grunt work.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Any lurkers here that know of a site to "tile" designs, or upload a design and material sizes and have it auto-fill into new files based on how many it can get into each sheet? Two separate requests.
Examples:
1 - I have an earring design and a sheet of material that is 12"x20". Tile the design to cut out as many of them as I can in a single sheet of material.
2 - I have a jigsaw puzzle SVG that's 500ft x 500ft and material size of 12"x20". Split up the SVG design into separate files that fit on a single sheet, and export as many as needed to cut out each piece.

@Ignatius @Xadion - fyi, this thread.

The term you're looking for here is nest.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Some of it's not laser related, but some stuff we've made over the last few years at work as well as given away in this forum.

IMG_20200123_070750.jpg

IMG_20200222_151339.jpg

IMG_20200123_070747.jpg

IMG_20190708_172234.jpg

IMG_20181203_155939.jpg

IMG_20190708_180225.jpg

IMG_20190723_182806.jpg

IMG_20200123_070800.jpg

IMG_20200122_082158.jpg

IMG_20200122_082205.jpg

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That leopard is awesome!

This is the type of stuff I'm talking about re: apprenticeships. Not looking to make a career change or anything like that, I just want to spend some time around someone that knows all these tricks so I can make some of my ideas without so much trial and error. Are some of those CNC?

I worked at a prop house in LA for awhile....wish I'd stuck around a little longer to see how some of the pros put shit together. Feel free to use this thread as a damn blog, Hek! I like the details on techniques.