Collecting, etc

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I have maybe 20-40k worth of signed first edition books, and have started to get an itch to buy the limited series that some publishers release (leather bound, or other special bindings etc, signed, etc etc).

I would be coughing up substantially more per book, and would have to rebuy a large portion of the collection, but it's an itch I am tempted to start scratching.

Anyone else here a collector with a decent number of signed first editions and given thought to making the jump to the higher end limited editions?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm not a collector, but I've always been curious about a few things. For instance, when you have that much money worth of books, what do you do to keep them safe? Are they just sitting in a library in your house? I'd be afraid that a freak fire or flood would ruin them. Do you keep them off-premises or in some other kind of safe area? That seems more logical when you're dealing with that much value, but then you can't really enjoy having them.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Sitting in book cases throughout the house. Lol

And yes, when I am not at home for long periods I do worry at times. Even with insurance and wrought iron doors.

I usually buy one copy in paperback to read, and then one signed to keep. Most have never been read, all have dust jackets and protective covers on the dust jackets.