College Football 2021-2022, quest for the Delta MU Championship

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
What do you think of Venables to OU? I am one who was glad to see him gone in the old pass happy 100+play Big XII. Look what that got me.
Put it like this, I'd hate Venables to OU and would be chuckling. Hard. if it was Rhule. What about Fickell? Think OU is in a decent spot in terms of hiring but will have to be prepared for a few years with 8 or so wins regardless maybe? So if you accept that to me you'd want to hire the guy you think will be able to guide you into the SEC pretty quickly and Venables seems like he could.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Nah man I think you misinterpreted my meaning - I wasn't meaning why he'd leave, it's obvious for a # of reasons, but more why LSU would want HIM. He's just so vanilla pudding I have a hard time envisioning him fitting in down in BR but I guess time will tell.

Also, Rhule to OU? Please god

The last time LSU made a good coaching hire the baseball coach that just retired and became atheletic director did it, 20 years ago.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Put it like this, I'd hate Venables to OU and would be chuckling. Hard. if it was Rhule. What about Fickell?

I would love Fickell; a former nose guard means he values the lines over everything else and that is what OU will need in the SEC.

Everyone keeps saying Lincoln Riley was a top 10 coach but his teams full of talent have gotten worse and worse (and softer) every year since he took over. I would rather have a good coach that can develop players than a great coach that has to rely on how his talent plays every game.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I would love Fickell; a former nose guard means he values the lines over everything else and that is what OU will need in the SEC.

Everyone keeps saying Lincoln Riley was a top 10 coach but his teams full of talent have gotten worse and worse (and softer) every year since he took over. I would rather have a good coach that can develop players than a great coach that has to rely on how his talent plays every game.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised with OU on both sides of the line this season, particularly Oline - running game was dog doo and it seems like there weren't a lot of big holes to scoot through. I think Fickell is pretty gettable as well but what I'm hearing in person and on the ole message boards the response seems pretty bleh from OU fans towards Fickell which surprised me. He's been great, has shown he can develop players and play physical. Now take that and add in the cache of the school, the SEC etc I think he could be great. CFB is just no chill these days, every week a major drama and story developing.

Texted my brother that if we beat Baylor this weekend (reasonably confident for some reason, which is dumb after a lifetime of cheering for poke state) I think OSU will make the playoff and the entire bowl season will be suspended. Indefinitely. Due to Omicron or whatever and would be the all time biggest squinky which is why I'm pretty sure that's what'll happen.

OU will hire a home run guy, immediately win the conference again and OSU will go 7-5 next year.

But, BUT I'll never forget the absolute joy I've experienced 11/27/21-12/1/21 - this was my super bowl

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I was pretty surprised with OU on both sides of the line this season, particularly Oline - running game was dog doo and it seems like there weren't a lot of big holes to scoot through. I think Fickell is pretty gettable as well but what I'm hearing in person and on the ole message boards the response seems pretty bleh from OU fans towards Fickell which surprised me. He's been great, has shown he can develop players and play physical. Now take that and add in the cache of the school, the SEC etc I think he could be great. CFB is just no chill these days, every week a major drama and story developing.

Texted my brother that if we beat Baylor this weekend (reasonably confident for some reason, which is dumb after a lifetime of cheering for poke state) I think OSU will make the playoff and the entire bowl season will be suspended. Indefinitely. Due to Omicron or whatever and would be the all time biggest squinky which is why I'm pretty sure that's what'll happen.

OU will hire a home run guy, immediately win the conference again and OSU will go 7-5 next year.

But, BUT I'll never forget the absolute joy I've experienced 11/27/21-12/1/21 - this was my super bowl

Do you know how many people think that OU/UT will be in the SEC next year? I swear it is at least 50%. I think that we will still be in the Big XII, but what do I know?

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Texas and OU aren’t moving until ‘23. Also, OU is broke which delay it further

Texas fans are rooting for Venables to be the next OU HC, if that is any indication.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Texas and OU aren’t moving until ‘23. Also, OU is broke which delay it further

Texas fans are rooting for Venables to be the next OU HC, if that is any indication.

On one hand I almost want to believe the Venables would be a good hire; then I hear you say that UT wants us to have him and I think about me and all my friends the last three times they've announced new UT head coaches.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On one hand I almost want to believe the Venables would be a good hire; then I hear you say that UT wants us to have him and I think about me and all my friends the last three times they've announced new UT head coaches.
On the plus side, he has never failed as a HC. Then again, he is evidently so bad at interviewing that he can’t land a job until Papa Stoops ushers him in. Why would you be excited about bringing back a DC you fired but as a HC? If Texas randomly hired Venables last year, how would all your friends react? Yea…..

• 1Like

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, Venables is going to be so fucked from the word go. The moment that underwhelming of a hire (and a defensive guy) is made, Mims and Caleb will join the rest of your WRs in the portal and all bail. Brooks is going pro. He is going to have zero talent on offense. An underwhelming hire that stumbles through the Big 12 on the way to the SEC… so fucked. OU also lost its pipeline into CA. Riley legitimately set OU back 5 years.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
On the plus side, he has never failed as a HC. Then again, he is evidently so bad at interviewing that he can’t land a job until Papa Stoops ushers him in. Why would you be excited about bringing back a DC you fired but as a HC? If Texas randomly hired Venables last year, how would all your friends react? Yea…..

He was never technically fired; Mike was fired by AZ and Bob brought him back and asked Venables to be assistant DC. Venables was at Clemson within a week. I tend to think of him differently now that he has proven he can recruit and coach a championship level defense. That being said, I would not be sad if it was someone with no previous ties to the OU program and cleaned house with a whole new staff.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm surprised that Texas fans would welcome Venables back at OU when he was part of the staff that put the most embarrassing losses in OU/TX history on the horns. Since then he's spent a decade winning national championships and becoming the nations preeminent defensive recruiter.

I'm not saying he is a sure-fire, can't miss HC but I don't know if I'd be willing to be on the other side of finding out.

My personal preferences for the job are Venables or Fickell. All I've heard is Fickell is a shoe-in for the ND job, though, and that if he does well then it is only a matter of time until tOSU comes calling.

Lots of people talking up Lebby and Lanning, but if we're going to grab someone with no HC experience then I'm still back to Venables over those two.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Apparently with Auburn firing Mike Bobo as OC half the offense has decided to enter the transfer portal. Good job there, Harsin. What'll you do for your next trick?

Okay, maybe it is only 5 players and 3 of them are offense. But still! Next year should be interesting. No idea who is even being rumored to take over our offense. Nix should just leave also. He reminds me of Jason Campbell at this point (except I think JC had about 1,000% more talent). Campbell had 4 offensive coordinators in 4 seasons each with a completely different style. Never had a chance to get comfortable.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Word is that ND is hiring Marcus Freeman as their new HC.

lurkingdirk lurkingdirk thoughts? I'll admit that this is shocking to me since I've never heard of him. Is this a move just because of the possibility of the playoff?

Kaines

Potato Supreme

lurkingdirk lurkingdirk thoughts? I'll admit that this is shocking to me since I've never heard of him. Is this a move just because of the possibility of the playoff?
It has to be. Fickell won't leave Cinci until he's either out of the CFP race or they play their CFP game. He's going to want to hang in there until after that is settled, then he might take off if any of these positions don't fill up first.

Which means OU either is gunning for Venables or they are going to wait 3-4 weeks to announce a hire and see if they can't survive the early recruiting window with Stoops doing their recruiting for them.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

I think it has to be. I don't anticipate them actually making the playoffs, but they can't go if they don't have a HC. I don't anticipate him being there long term.

But who the heck knows WTF can happen? Anything seems possible this year.

Also, Brian Kelly is a bitch.

• 1Like

Zzen

Potato del Grande
lol, BK is fucking over ND so hard that it actually makes me hate him a little bit less.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zzen

Potato del Grande
“I think YOU’RE one of four best teams in the country.”

Haha, that dude is such a colossal piece of shit.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Lotsa platitudes and stupid statements to try to justify his abrupt departure. He's a piece of shit, and I think that speech was demeaning to his players. Insincere and full of shit. He chased the dollars, he screwed over his team, and the school demanded he come back and talk to the players face to face. He wasn't going to, did you know that? Notre Dame insisted he come back and talk to the players. He was just going to be gone. Ghosting his players. So he made a 4 minute speech full of absolute bullshit.

I hope he fails miserably at LSU, but he won't. And that's too bad.

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Didn’t it leak that he took LSU job before he was ready to say it or was that just his excuse for not having a sit down with players ?