College - Majors and Career Ideas...

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
Lots of people I went to grade schools with had a definite purpose and a goal in their education. Unfortunately, I was not one of those students. I served five years in the Marine Corps, and got out in 2012. I've been doing my general education cheaply through a local community college. I have enough credits to transfer, but the problem is my credits are spread out, and generally do not satisfy all the pre-requisites for most universities. After taking Financial Accounting, I thought about majoring in Business (Accounting seems most lucrative).

But due to lack of pre-requisites, I most likely will not be admitted to a competitive university.

I don't want to bore everyone with a wall of text, so here it is simplified:
  • I have 100% intent to achieve a Graduates degree.
  • I feel a Business degree does not have much value because every other student wants to be a Business major (the market seems flooded).
  • Because of this, and the fact I probably will not get into a competitive university, I should change my major, into something I definitely do have interest in, Mathematics.
  • I do have a Conditional Acceptance to SFSU (not a competitive Business school, but Mathematics is pretty straight forward in terms of what you learn in a Math program)
  • Mathematics major would be a huge benefit for GMAT and LSATs.
  • I feel more confident that as a Math major, I could minor in Economics, and have a lot of options for Graduate school, and end up much more competitive in the job market, compared to a Business major with a graduates degree.
  • Yes, I do realize a lot of success has to do with networking, internships and such.

It is hard for me to say where I want to end up (career wise), but I do want to end up at a top tier Graduate school, and I do want to make a lot of money. I enjoy math and working with numbers (which is why I enjoyed Financial Accounting class). Also, I have about 25 months left on my Post-911 GI Bill, and if I do a Math major, I could continue living at my fathers place, and bank the Basic Allowance Housing (which is 3.8k/mo if I attended SFSU) while pursuing my degree. I am also keeping Officer Candidate School on the table to become a Marine Officer.

I know there are a lot of professionals here, and would greatly appreciate advice. Thank you for your time.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just curious, when you say "mathematics", are you more on the side of applied mathematics, things like accounting, statistics, probability, physics, etc. Or are you more interested in the pure/theoretical side of math in algebra, calculus, discrete, logic, number theory, etc. If you have a strong preference for one side as opposed to the other, that can drastically effect what path you want to go down in school.

If you prefer applied mathematics, you're going to want to stay in more business-related fields like accounting, some actuarial services(although a lot of them use theoretical mathematics too), financial services, statistical research, even medical/pharmaceutical-related fields. If you lean towards the pure/theoretical end of the spectrum, that's going to put you more towards a computer science or any of a million different kinds of engineering, computer/chemical/electrical/nuclear, etc.

I think that was my main downfall when initially choosing a major in college. I went all-in for the computer science degree offered through the school of engineering at my University. It required enough math that it got you within about 6 credit hours of a double-major in mathematics, but it was HEAVILY weighted toward the theoretical side of mathematics, which come to find out, I hate. After running through Cal-1-2-3 and then linear algebra and Complex Analysis, I couldn't take it any more, I hated it. I never really sat down to realize what I liked about math in the past, but it's definitely applied/"real" math. I love physics, I love statistics, I love data analysis. I went completely in the wrong direction, not really knowing there was a "wrong" direction to take.

A lot of people think they like math, but not many people love ALL math, you may have a very strong preference for a certain branch over another. Liking "math" is like saying you like "science". Well, what science? Astronomy, chemistry, biology, etc? Depending on where your interests lay, one field may seem incredible, and another may seem like a complete bore. Math is the same way, imho. I don't know too many people that just like ALL facets of math, regardless.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I would pick a career/field before settling on having to go to grad school imo.

Also have you contemplated a degree in a stats, accounting, finance or econ instead of just business?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, the only thing worst than going to 4 years of school only to find out you hate that career, is going to 5 years of school and finding out you hate that career
smile.png

I'm definitely on the side of the fence of
1)Get 4 year degree
2)Get some work experience
3)Get Masters

I know a lot of people switch steps 2 and 3, but I don't think it's really beneficial. You'll get a lot more out of a quality Masters program with a little work experience in your field under your belt, IMHO

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Lots of people I went to grade schools with had a definite purpose and a goal in their education. Unfortunately, I was not one of those students. I served five years in the Marine Corps, and got out in 2012. I've been doing my general education cheaply through a local community college. I have enough credits to transfer, but the problem is my credits are spread out, and generally do not satisfy all the pre-requisites for most universities. After taking Financial Accounting, I thought about majoring in Business (Accounting seems most lucrative).

But due to lack of pre-requisites, I most likely will not be admitted to a competitive university.

I don't want to bore everyone with a wall of text, so here it is simplified:
  • I have 100% intent to achieve a Graduates degree.
  • I feel a Business degree does not have much value because every other student wants to be a Business major (the market seems flooded).
  • Because of this, and the fact I probably will not get into a competitive university, I should change my major, into something I definitely do have interest in, Mathematics.
  • I do have a Conditional Acceptance to SFSU (not a competitive Business school, but Mathematics is pretty straight forward in terms of what you learn in a Math program)
  • Mathematics major would be a huge benefit for GMAT and LSATs.
  • I feel more confident that as a Math major, I could minor in Economics, and have a lot of options for Graduate school, and end up much more competitive in the job market, compared to a Business major with a graduates degree.
  • Yes, I do realize a lot of success has to do with networking, internships and such.

It is hard for me to say where I want to end up (career wise), but I do want to end up at a top tier Graduate school, and I do want to make a lot of money. I enjoy math and working with numbers (which is why I enjoyed Financial Accounting class). Also, I have about 25 months left on my Post-911 GI Bill, and if I do a Math major, I could continue living at my fathers place, and bank the Basic Allowance Housing (which is 3.8k/mo if I attended SFSU) while pursuing my degree. I am also keeping Officer Candidate School on the table to become a Marine Officer.

I know there are a lot of professionals here, and would greatly appreciate advice. Thank you for your time.
You seem to have an interest in math and I would go that route. Have you thought about applied math programs such as physics you can do a lot more with a degree in physics than just pure math. If you want to make money and like math I would get x degree, go to a top 50 law school, graduate in the top 5% of your class and become a tax lawyer.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
Just curious, when you say "mathematics", are you more on the side of applied mathematics, things like accounting, statistics, probability, physics, etc. Or are you more interested in the pure/theoretical side of math in algebra, calculus, discrete, logic, number theory, etc. If you have a strong preference for one side as opposed to the other, that can drastically effect what path you want to go down in school.

If you prefer applied mathematics, you're going to want to stay in more business-related fields like accounting, some actuarial services(although a lot of them use theoretical mathematics too), financial services, statistical research, even medical/pharmaceutical-related fields. If you lean towards the pure/theoretical end of the spectrum, that's going to put you more towards a computer science or any of a million different kinds of engineering, computer/chemical/electrical/nuclear, etc.
I do enjoy the "pure math" such as calculus, mainly because that "pure math" was a subject that I personally thought I was not any good at, but learning it and become proficient in it is enjoyable. But I think I prefer applied mathematics a bit more. I have taken Statistics, Financial Account and Chemistry, which had a good amount of Applied Mathematics, and do enjoy those a bit more than pure math.

I appreciate the advice ladies and gents. I'm sure once I take a few more Business, Econ and Mathematics courses I'll have a stronger idea of where I want to go. It always good brain storming here.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
You seem to have an interest in math and I would go that route. Have you thought about applied math programs such as physics you can do a lot more with a degree in physics than just pure math. If you want to make money and like math I would get x degree, go to a top 50 law school, graduate in the top 5% of your class and become a tax lawyer.
Don't go to law school. That field is so over saturated that unless you graduate in the top 25% of a Tier 1 school you have no job prospects whatsoever. If you don't go to a Tier 1 you have no prospects regardless of your performance.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Do not ever apply to a Master's program in economics. The degree is almost universally given to people who flunked out of PhD programs (which is about 50% of the incoming class) -- and none of the top schools take MA/MS students. If you do want a Masters in economics (which is often sufficient for industry positions), you'll have to get into a PhD program first and drop out after the coursework and probably some research paper. That is challenging, to say the least. You want to major in either math (with an emphasis on theory) or physics and take, at a minimum, real analysis (preferably two semesters) and a semester of topology. You'll get into an econ program with no economics undergraduate classes, but forget about it without a lot of advanced math. Even so, many people in the very top programs come in with Master's degrees in those fields.

Calculus is not math theory, though 3-4 semesters of it may be a prerequisite for real analysis.

I do have a Conditional Acceptance to SFSU (not a competitive Business school, but Mathematics is pretty straight forward in terms of what you learn in a Math program)
Calculus tends to be standardized, but that's about it. Even something like linear algebra ranges from very applied (solving matrices, applying algorithms) to very theoretical (proving theorems). The latter is a much better preparation for graduate school, in my opinion.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you're not sure that you're setting yourself up for 80k+ and something you want to do i would thoroughly evaluate reasons for higher degree. If it's just to keep up with the Jones i encourage restraint.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
How about a degree in Woman's Studies?
smile.png

Ok, jokes aside, trying to figure out what to study is probably one of the hardest choices you can make. Do you take something that you're good at but might not result in good job opportunities, or do you take something that you don't like but there will be a better market for? Do you stick with a BA/S or go for a Masters? In all honesty from what I've seen of my friends and relatives it's is more and more just coming down to luck.

But here is a question out of "left field", since you're interested in Math and stuff, what about Computer Science?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I thought I loved Mathematics too. In my engineering degree path we even came within a few credits of a double major in Math, much like Joeboo.

Then I took Linear Algebra and Numerical Analysis in the same semester and I wanted to end my life. I no longer love math.

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah, the only thing worst than going to 4 years of school only to find out you hate that career, is going to 5 years of school and finding out you hate that career
smile.png

1)Get 4 year degree
3)Get Masters

I know a lot of people switch steps 2 and 3, but I don't think it's really beneficial. You'll get a lot more out of a quality Masters program with a little work experience in your field under your belt, IMHO
Gotta agree.

I've found that people who do 3 and 2 in that order have severe issues finding jobs.

Those that find a job THEN get their masters have experience and the credentials. The other way around you just have credentials... And nobody wants to high an expensive junior person.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
smile.png

1)Get 4 year degree
3)Get Masters

This.

If you don't want to go the engineering route my brother got a 4 year business degree. Forget the actual focus. Probably marketing. Worked at a bank for a few years which paid for a majority of his graduate degree. Both he and his wife (also a business degree) got their masters and now have a pretty good lifestyle. Personally I find career students maddening and going straight from undergrad to grad probably doesn't make employers feel too great about your actual real-life work ability.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Gotta agree.

I've found that people who do 3 and 2 in that order have severe issues finding jobs.

Those that find a job THEN get their masters have experience and the credentials. The other way around you just have credentials... And nobody wants to high an expensive junior person.
I can't imagine too many companies want to hire someone with a Masters and zero work experience in the field. Having the Masters is going to demand a higher salary, but the person isn't worth that kind of money with no experience.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Comp Sci hirings seem to be leaning the same way. Have some form of internship and real life business experience. I've worked with so many 4 year Comp Sci majors who could could explain the theory and execution of a bubble sort but couldn't actually convert business requirements into real world production code. I imagine it is the same for many fields.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
smile.png

1)Get 4 year degree
3)Get Masters

I agree, but it's so hard to go back to school when you graduate with a 4yr and get good jobs =\

Vinen

God is dead
I agree, but it's so hard to go back to school when you graduate with a 4yr and get good jobs =\
Which begs the question. Why go back to school? Unless you are failing working for a Government Contractor or the Government (99.99% of people who work these jobs are fails) there is really no reason to have a Masters degree. You MUST have one to actually get promoted past a certain point at some (maybe most?) Government related jobs.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I just finished one associates (with 1-2 more easily within reach...overlapping courses FTW) and I amalreadyin the same position. I could probably have a job within 7-14 days making good money, but instead I'm still taking classes full-time, working part time and now easing into teaching as an adjunct because I'm afraid of the above and looking for alternative ways to keep going to school. Getting out and going back to work would probably spell the end of my school aspirations completely.

My department was contacted a while ago by a shipping company looking for programs that would have graduates up to speed to fill $50/hr+ positions. I was really, really tempted to call that company, let me tell you, but I'd probably have ended up spending half the rest of my life on a container ship and never go past an associates degree.

Joeboo...BBQ.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
mmmmmmmmm BBQ. Give me a week or so to get over the crazy Ebola flu that I currently have, and I'll be good to go for stuffing myself again
smile.png