Comcast Agrees to Buy Time Warner Cable

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Fucking terrible. This will have a hard time getting through.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
No it will pass with ease, since the two companies don't compete in the same markets.

The only losers will be the consumers

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fucking terrible. This will have a hard time getting through.
It's an easy pass on paper they are non competition in markets. It's bend over and fuck me for consumers what's up Internet and their current lobbying for cable internet is going well also.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The worst part of this for us Time Warner customers is that TW has NEVER had any monthly data caps on their home broadband service. This is something that Comcast has been dying to do for a while now, the only thing keeping them from pulling the trigger was that their main competition(Time Warner) didn't do it. So much for that.

Say hello to having home cable internet that now charges you or throttles you when you go over your data cap. Fucking great.

Thengel

Golden Knight of the Realm
Even though they don't compete in the same markets for customers, it gives them HUGE leverage over the content providers. Something like the blackouts may not happen if comcast can simply strong arm everyone.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
What the FCC needs to worry about is how Comcast is treating rival streaming business' like netflix. Users are throttled and capped on bandwidth so comcast can protect its video profits.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Hopefully net neutrality can get back on the books.

Unfortunately we are moving more towards a Zorg Inc instead of the Bell breakup of the 80's. Very sad.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lol it's alright we are America land of shitty service providers who rip us off every chance they get.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not too upset about caps. I download and keep up on dozens of shows, and download and play games, and stream Netflix, and I rarely get even close to my 250gb cap.

Wtf are people doing? Granted, I changed over all my shows to SD instead of HD versions, so that saves some, but still. Downloading and deleting your entire Steam library every month for fun or something? shit.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I could stream SD in 1997 without hitting a cap, too.

Are you seriously ok with what you just described? Not even getting into them throttling traffic on competitors to their own streaming services.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not too upset about caps. I download and keep up on dozens of shows, and download and play games, and stream Netflix, and I rarely get even close to my 250gb cap.

Wtf are people doing? Granted, I changed over all my shows to SD instead of HD versions, so that saves some, but still. Downloading and deleting your entire Steam library every month for fun or something? shit.
I live in a house with three different people downloading and streaming different shit we hit the throttle cap more often then not

Crone

Is there a throttle cap versus a hard monthly cap? My ISP let's me go full bore up to the cap, and while I've never hit it, I assume at that point they'd start to throttle me. There are not any mid-month cap or limits.

And SD on Netflix looks like shit compared to the SD files I download. SD shit I download is still widescreen, and looks just fine compared to the terrible 4:3 ratio SD stuff on Netflix.

Am I ok with caps? Sure. Am I ok with them throttling the net for certain services, in an effort to promote their own services? No, but what you going to do? Not have internet?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
No, you are going to choose an alternative when you can and offer whatever meager support you can to initiatives that support net neutrality. Sure, if everyone just torrents decent looking SD rips instead of actually using the Internet then I guess they would be fine, but why should we settle for that?

Crone

No, you are going to choose an alternative when you can and offer whatever meager support you can to initiatives that support net neutrality. Sure, if everyone just torrents decent looking SD rips instead of actually using the Internet then I guess they would be fine, but why should we settle for that?
You are right, I don't think that we should settle for it. And if all of a sudden I was getting Netflix in terrible quality, I'd be really upset over it as well knowing it wasn't at all the capability of the internet but ISP imposed restrictions.

That is where I would focus my rage, not really at the caps, because I feel the caps are pretty high, even if you are streaming stuff all the time? But then again, I have 250gb cap, which may be pretty high compared to most other people.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
idk, I don't like the idea of caps in general and I imagine even streaming HD shit pretty much all day (which happens in my house) you would have a rough time hitting it. But the main issue is them throttling traffic.