Comic Books

Ferr_sl

shitlord
So, being someone who hasn't picked up a comic book in something like 20 years, where would I want to start (storyline wise) for picking up x-men, spider-man and Captain America comics? These last few marvel movies have really rekindled my desire to pick them up (also I have a serious void of reading material atm). Any suggestions would be great.

New shit, reboots, whatever.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed at least the first 100 or so issues of Ultimate Spider-Man. Basically Spider-Man rebooted to having his origin in 2000, when the comics started. Most of the character origins in the series are changed, either a little or a lot. Many of them make a little more sense for modern times, not that it matters really.

I'm looking at the Wiki, apparently Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley set the Marvel record for longest run for a pair on a single comic, going 111 issues. I really liked Bendis writing for Spidey/Peter. Don't let retarded assholes who tell you the Amazing movies are based on Ultimate Spidey sour you, that shitty awful terrible dogshit is nothing like the comics beyond some cosmetic shit.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ehhhhh...go ahead and skip all of Ultimate X-Men and Ultimates Volume 3.

Speaking of Ultimates, are any of the follow ups better? Looking at the Wiki they have tried a few. Volume 3 absolutely destroyed the comic, and I was out by the time Marvel killed/relaunched the whole Ultimate U so I really haven't kept up at all.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ultimate universe really started to suck around the time...

spiderman dies

that was when "ultimatum" was happening

this is also when you probably stopped with that aweful ultimate comics shit.

it begins with the son of wolverine, oh and of course his son has the same powers and claws as him, no metal? no worry, some how he has gay colossus metal, this is when you know shit falls apart, when they're so stupid and desperate to bring back wolverine, oh and of course since it's not technically wolverine, he can finally fulfill whatever weird ass fan fic, writer hard on to get wolverine(son) with kitty pryde together.

this is also when they try to milk the death of spiderman of every last drop of "i don't give a fuck", for a whole year everything was all emo about spiderman dying, until the black kid shows up and everyones all giddy again.

ultimate enemy/mystery/doom is a pretty good read if you like FF

the latest ultimate event, cataclysm is shit, hell it's so jumbled i pretty much gave up.

Sharinel

Golden Squire
Hopefully Ferr downloaded all of the Ultimate stuff and read all the 100+ issues of Ultimate Spiderman in the 12 hours before reading lanx's throwaway bombshell there.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
For a non-ultimates main universe suggestion, I googled Marvel major event chronology or something like that a few years ago to see what I missed since the early 90s. I got a nice pack and started around Avengers disassembled and caught up through Siege. I found most of it pretty entertaining as long as I skipped the 'tie in' books for characters I didn't care about.

Ferr_sl

shitlord
Hopefully Ferr downloaded all of the Ultimate stuff and read all the 100+ issues of Ultimate Spiderman in the 12 hours before reading lanx's throwaway bombshell there.
Naw I didn't, but don't worry, reading the rest of this thread already spoiled that shit.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Naw I didn't, but don't worry, reading the rest of this thread already spoiled that shit.
would it be spoilery to say that's not the death most ppl know?

the more famous/recent spidey death happened when issue 700 of Amazing spiderman ended, i was focused on the ultimate spiderman, 2 different "marvel" universes, of which 3 are the ones ppl are familiar with. 616 which is the current universe we care about, the ultimate universe which is the retelling of 616 but more edgy and 2000'ish, the MCU (marvel cinema universe) which is the marvel movies and the SHIELD tv show.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Picked up a Kindle Fire HD for one of my kids with the intention of putting 20-30 Gig of the best comics on it for them.

Anyone recommend a comic reader to use on it and if I'll need to root it to get it on there ?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i have og kindle, as of this time kindle doesn't support cbr/cbz and probably won't all cbr/cbz is is just a zip file renamed cbr or cbz (pretty sure cbr is for rar and cbz is for zip). either way if you're using/getting a kindle download calibre. it's freeware and the best/standard program anyone uses to transfer/convert basically anything to kindle readable.

kindles format is .mobi

the open source format is .epub

both have pros/cons

i'd probably do cbr/cbz to mobi since it's for kindle anyway.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i think you should try to section the comics off by time/issues.

like for instance short and good is like We3, 3 issues.

then 6 issue stuff like most mark millar stuff

then the major events (phoenix saga/infinity gauntle/crisis etc)

then ongoing.

thats how i recommend stuff to my nephew.

Caliane

I usually give a nice list of comics from a broad range. Image, big 2, indie.
Horror, Sci fi, drama, etc.
You know, fear agent, east of west, the red wing, manhatten project, supercrooks, revival, rachel rising, Wonder woman, Saga, IDW's Dungeons and Dragons, and so on.

And then they ask for which xmen or batman comic they should read.

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
Hey guys. Lately ive been remembering a storyline from DC comics that I read years ago that I cant get out of my head.

It had superman fighting something similar to the warworld I think. It also had tons of regular humans gaining powers similar to superman and flying into space to help fight the planet thing. I remember they ended it by superman flying into the center of the machine to destroy "heart" that controlled it and it was cold even to superman. Not much else I can remember about it the series though. Thanks if anyone can help me with this.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I dig the new cyclops oriented stuff in x-men. the jubilee stuff is ~yawn

I like how the shield/avengers thing plays into the x-men more often now. Casual crossovers were not common when I was younger.