Commercial Kitchen pest problems

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I'm a sous-chef at a corporate Kitchen and we've had a house fly problem since they decided to place the Kitchen right next to a pub with a door. I've managed to eliminate all the fruit flies with heavy detail cleaning and couple other methods but the house flies refuse to relent.

I've started placing fresh basil at certain areas that deters them but looking for a better (food safe) method. Probably never going to go the route of fly paper or chemical sprays. Anyone have any experience in this?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Are you making sure all your drains are covered when not in use or are cleaned often (floor drains)? Those will attract them as well and many times people seem to forget or not know this.

Also I would put up fly bait/traps at the entrance.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Drains are detail cleaned every night (well at least every night that I'm there), and we spray a steritech product along all edges, casters and drains. That's fixed the fruit fly problem. We have open displays of our food though so they buzz around those except we're ive placed the basil (and that only deters them, not stop them).

As much as I'd like to use bait and traps, it won't be happening. So says the Powers that Be (It's an upscale place so that doesn't really look great). I've been looking more for a foodsafe oil that I can spray that repulses them.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The powers that be are right....the flies will look much better buzzing around the food as opposed to going inside of traps and never being seen again. You should just let them continue.

The solution you are looking for does not exist as far as I am aware. They are coming in from outside or they have a place in there to breed. Either trap the doors or find where they are breeding, assuming they are at all.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dont' restaurants use door fans that blast a big whoosh of air when you open the door to prevent flies from going inside?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Can always try setting traps/paper/whatever up overnight and during prep time then taking them down when you are open. Otherwise, send someone around shooting them down with windex (not around food obviously). Does a good number on them but is a daily chore.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You need to get a lot of frogs and spiders in there to take care of the pests.

Troll_sl

shitlord
And then when the frogs and spiders get out of control, bring in a couple small hunting cats. Maybe ocelots or lynxes.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And then let the customers hunt the cats and you can turn them into General Tso's Chicken. Should end up being the most popular eatery in town.

Seriously though, shouldn't there be some repository of information on dealing with pests in restaurants already? You would think you learn this shit by the time you get promoted to manager. Rerolled is for like learning how to buy cars or have sex with a girl and other impossibly technical and obscure tasks.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
And then let the customers hunt the cats and you can turn them into General Tso's Chicken. Should end up being the most popular eatery in town.

Seriously though, shouldn't there be some repository of information on dealing with pests in restaurants already? You would think you learn this shit by the time you get promoted to manager. Rerolled is for like learning how to buy cars or have sex with a girl and other impossibly technical and obscure tasks.
I was kitchen manager at another restaurant for years prior and they used hidden fly traps. Current one would not allow that. It's a really finicky business when it comes to what chemicals and processes we use. I solved the problem though. I created an oil using basil and mint that we can rub on trouble areas every so often. Works pretty well.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
/shrug. It's their playground.

The oil smells nice and works though and though they really loved the idea. Review next week, bitches.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
When I owned a restaurant our bug guy had this special fly kill stuff. Was a powder you mix with a tsp with one quart of water and spray on the walls and floor inside and out. Had a pheromone to attract them, then the poison made the flop around and do little loops in about 5 minutes. I took some home and spent a Sunday drinking beer on my porch and killing flies. It was a good day.

Find a bug guy with this stuff.