Computer Issues

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I was having that problem with computer resets, and my high frustration coupled with buying The Witcher 3 for PS4 meant the computer took a back seat. Finally got around to getting it taken care of, and after getting a new video card with no effect, I got a new power supply..and the problem is solved! No more restarts (knock on wood).

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Not sure if anyone has ideas for me but my desktop computer keeps losing internet through the LAN cable. Wireless is working just fine. It only goes out for about 10 seconds and then it reconnects every time. Happens every hour it seems.

I've already changed the LAN cable and I've reset the router multiple times. All other devices connected are wireless and they're just fine when it goes out for my desktop.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Not sure if anyone has ideas for me but my desktop computer keeps losing internet through the LAN cable. Wireless is working just fine. It only goes out for about 10 seconds and then it reconnects every time. Happens every hour it seems.

I've already changed the LAN cable and I've reset the router multiple times. All other devices connected are wireless and they're just fine when it goes out for my desktop.
some things to try:

1) Update your NIC drivers
2) make sure your NIC isn't enabled for power saving mode
3) Set speed duplex manually on both nic and router port (if you can-- a lot of routers won't let you)
4) In device manager for your nic, advanced tab, turn off anything with "offload" or "chimney" in the description

Delly

Trakanon Raider
some things to try:

1) Update your NIC drivers
2) make sure your NIC isn't enabled for power saving mode
3) Set speed duplex manually on both nic and router port (if you can-- a lot of routers won't let you)
4) In device manager for your nic, advanced tab, turn off anything with "offload" or "chimney" in the description
1) Already updated
2) I checked, doesn't appear to be but I checked off a few questionable options
3) I set it manually for the nic but couldn't find one for the router
4) Disabled several offload options.

Been running it for an hour so far and no disconnects. We'll see how it goes for the rest of the night. Thanks!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
1) Already updated
2) I checked, doesn't appear to be but I checked off a few questionable options
3) I set it manually for the nic but couldn't find one for the router
4) Disabled several offload options.

Been running it for an hour so far and no disconnects. We'll see how it goes for the rest of the night. Thanks!
For #3 if you can't set it manually on both ends leave it at auto otherwise you risk a duplex mismatch

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Obnoxious Windows 7 stuff: My mouse pointer is all of a sudden creating a huge cursor for the highlighter "I" shaped one, like when you mouse over a text input area, or to highlight text. Is there some hotkey I hit accidentally to turn this on? Because this happened just completely randomly tonight. I'm not 70 years old, so I'd like my small one back please, thanks Windows. All of the other cursors/pointers are normal, just the highlighter one is fucked.

Also just noticed that the "working" blue circle cursor thing was huge when I started up Marvel Heroes, while the screen was black for ~1.5 seconds before it came up, after the splash screen. All other pointers are still ok.

I did update my catalyst shit today, did it do something to give my PC aids?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have a 3TB external hard drive which stopped working tonight. I'm thinking it may have been a virus, since I downloaded a TV show with it and that's when it seems to have stopped working. Plugging it in it spins and the light comes on. Unfortunately, I can't do much else with it.

Basically when I try to access it using just about everything, it causes whatever that is to stop working.

Windows Explorer it shows up as a drive, but I can't do shit to it.
Disk Management the Virtual Disk Device never loads to see the drive. If I open it up with the drive disconnected and then plug it in, it'll see it but I can't do anything to it.
I tried HD Sentinel, it just locks up.
I tried the WD Lifeguard Diagnostic tool (not even sure what this is, but Google mentioned it) and it won't load.
Even restarting my computer for some reason causes it to get stuck shutting down.
I tried accessing it through the command prompt which causes that to lock up, and I tried Safe Mode and it did the same shit.

I've been using it on my HTPC for all of my media, but at this point if I can just salvage the drive I'd be happy (it also caused SABNZBD to not load. It's literally any program which might access the hard drive craps out). I just can't figure out how to format it. Anyone got any wazoo ideas on how to format a drive that won't let you access it?

I believe these are the error logs associated with it.

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume G:.
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk4\DR4 during a paging operation.
The device, \Device\Harddisk4\DR4, has a bad block.

Edit: My issue is almost exactly like thisCannot access external hard drive. Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

Unfortunately the little Linux based tool mentioned on the bottom of that first page ends up locking up as soon as I connect the hard drive as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Doesn't sound like a virus to me, sounds like a corrupt drive or bad cable/connection.

If you run a linux live cd and try to look at the drive does it still lock up?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was able to get the drive scanned with that Linux tool (required start up without it plugged in, plug in to rescan all drives, and then unplug midway through to "unlock it"...and then plug it back in to actually read it), and it was completely bricked. Every single block was bad. That seems kind of strange to me as the drive is still spinning, but who knows.

I guess now I'll search for a cheap networked RAID option for storage.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Has anyone ever heard of a BSOD causing RAM bays on the motherboard to just, stop functioning?

The other day I got a quick BSOD, on reboot I noticed computer was running slower than usual, checked and realized it was only registering port 4 of my RAM. Checked each individual stick (I have 4) in port 4 and they all work fine, however the comp will only post if there is a stick IN port 4, any sticks in ports 1-3 alone do nothing. I ran MemTest86 or whatever for hours one night, hoping it would at least give me an error response if the ports themselves were bad, but nothing came up. Tried increasing the voltage slightly, flashed the BIOS, etc. Nothing seems to be working.

I guess I should accept the obvious that the ports themselves are just fucked and replace my motherboard, but just found it odd that something like that would happen after a BSOD and not a power surge or anything like that. Anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, I think it's the bad ports that caused the bsod and not vice versa...