Computer Issues

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Alright bros, here's something that's been bothering me a bit.

I have Xfinity internet (105Mbps) and use their router because they lied to me. It is dual channel (2.4GHz and 5.0GHz). I connect my gaming laptop to the 5.0GHz channel and leave it on pretty much constantly now as it's also a Plex server. I also am seeding quite a bit.

In the last few weeks, when I go to use my laptop I notice the internet connection is dead (A ! above the wireless bars). If I disconnect and reconnect it will fix itself (literally takes 3 seconds) and work fine.

Originally I thought perhaps my upload was set too high and I was killing my own connection so I killed utorrent for a few days, issue still persisted. I thought maybe the Plex server could be an issue so I killed that as well, same result. Nothing else is really connected at that time. All of my wireless drivers are up to date and I've never had this problem before this - and no other device in the house has this problem, even my work laptop. It occurs whether I use 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz channels and it's sitting in the same room as the router.

Any ideas what I could try? I was wondering if Comcast was getting pissed at my seeding and kicking me off every night.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
WTF is going on with Java Auto Updater? It seems like this POS software is firing up every other day now demanding a download?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have an issue. I just built a new computer. When I am on the Internet the computer will Blue screen and I get this message:

IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal

with some stuff about bios with caching and shading(Shadowing?). Any ideas what I need to turn off or reseat?

Reseated my Ram and my video card. Hope that fixes this.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Getting all sorts of blue screens that started after the Windows auto updated. I take it updating is what caused most of the issues? Is there a way to reverse this and then make sure no updates occur?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was on the "Auto" setting. I did notice that the first time I looked at it in the Bios that it showed it overclocked. I am going to have to reformat and reinstall Windows 7. It went all to hell with the Update and seems unable to repair itself. Is odd that it seemed to work fine for a couple of days but it did auto close Hex, Shards of fate with a crash a couple of times. The drivers were all up to date. Then today it started to blue screen when I looked at this forum,yahoo or Hex's forum. I ran a virus check and got nothing. I then took out the ram cards, video card and unplugged and replugged the hard drive. Then I reseated the cards but it had no effect. Hopefully just starting over and making sure not to download any updates from microsoft will fix everything.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Ummm, not running any Windows updates on a machine you're connecting to the internet is a really, really bad idea.

My guess is that you might have a bad stick of RAM. It's one of the few things that really reliably causes a BSOD these days.

Try pulling out just one stick at a time to see if that resolves the issue. Some other possibilities are here:Bug Check 0xA: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Windows Debuggers)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's fine as long as you are somewhat knowledgeable and not doing anything stupid. Steve Gibson is famous (as much as some IT security guy can be 'famous') for still using XP SP 2 because SP3 fucked up some software he was running and he hated Vista.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Still rocking XP on my desktop at work. When we updated all the workstations to Win7 last year I had to keep mine as XP before we could confirm that our piece of shit mechanical estimating software would work on Win7 (it is literally from the 90's). It only works on a 32-bit version of Win7 (we tried running it in a XP VM on a 64 bit Win7 install, but no bueno), but it does work. I just haven't gotten around to updating my own workstation since. Doubt I will any time soon, if only out of laziness. Never had an issue.

Meanwhile my bro continues to get malware and other fun shit on his properly updated Win7 workstation, because he likes to piss me off I guess. His internet history makes even me blush.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Still rocking XP on my desktop at work. When we updated all the workstations to Win7 last year I had to keep mine as XP before we could confirm that our piece of shit mechanical estimating software would work on Win7 (it is literally from the 90's). It only works on a 32-bit version of Win7 (we tried running it in a XP VM on a 64 bit Win7 install, but no bueno), but it does work. I just haven't gotten around to updating my own workstation since. Doubt I will any time soon, if only out of laziness. Never had an issue.

Meanwhile my bro continues to get malware and other fun shit on his properly updated Win7 workstation, because he likes to piss me off I guess. His internet history makes even me blush.
They discontinued XP support at work by putting these huge banners on old the old turd's desktops that refused to migrate. Are you an old turd? That OS is 13 years old dude.

I get the software not working, maybe you guys should upgrade that too.

Win 7 is a superior OS.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
They discontinued XP support at work by putting these huge banners on old the old turd's desktops that refused to migrate. Are you an old turd? That OS is 13 years old dude.

I get the software not working, maybe you guys should upgrade that too.

Win 7 is a superior OS.
Not arguing it isn't. Like I said, at this point it's just laziness and the lack of any huge pressing need to update. The creaky old software works fine on Win7 32-bit. As far as upgrading that goes, we tried that 6-7 years ago, and it was a fucking nightmare. Estimating is a big fucking deal, and co-bidding projects with the old and new software for a year to confirm it's working properly isn't something you undertake lightly. One fuckup that you don't catch along the way can cost you a HUGE amount of money.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I went to this small packaging and posting business a couple of years ago. The guy who ran it used an ancient machine. The box had a 3.5" floppy drive, CRT monitor and ran XP. The program he used to put my contact details in ran via DOS BOX and during the load up screen I saw it was from 1993. The mind boggles.

MossyBank

N00b
So I got a logitech g930 wireless headset about a year ago, and as of last week the sound seems to go out in the left ear and sometimes the right ear depending on if i'm moving my head around... can't seem to find a fix for this piece of junk.

What do you guys recommend for a good headset (probably gonna go back to a wired model again).

I see alot of gamers using that razer one? is that any good?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gamers get those shitty "gaming" headphones cuz they have a built in mic, you should get better headphones and get a separate lapel mic if you game with voice chat. a lot more quality.
Amazon.com: Zalman Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone: Electronics

pretty much the standard lapel mic for all gamers, super quality, then get a nice pair of headphones that you can wear comfortably and fit well.

i have an older version of these
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones: Electronics

look funny but probably the most comfortable headphones. if you're an audiophile go buy what audiophiles buy (tho they rec this version too)

MossyBank

N00b
Thanks man, i'll check it out. I actually had that in mind as well, too many 'gaming' headsets have burned me over the years, time to get a quality audiophile headset and see how that works out for me.