Concert Venues

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok, so this may or may not be a good idea for a thread. If not it will drop off the front page, oh well.

I go to see a fair amount of live music in the NE/mid-Atlantic. Sometimes I'd like a more unfiltered opinion than like google reviews on where I'm going and how best to handle partying, hotels, travel around a specific destination.

So I'll start. Best Buy Theater, Times Square, NYC. Formerly known by the sponsor name Nokia. Heard a lot of good things. Looks like a great design for a club style venue with the tiered floor so you can be in general admission and still see well from everywhere. Supposedly decent sound too. Anyone been here?

Lowendtheory_sl

shitlord
Never been there but this is one of the most intense live videos I've ever seen. Start is at about 2 mins. Looks like an awesome venue.
EDIT: this one might be even better

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
I saw the Rob Zombie Lacuna coil show there back before the name change.
Pretty sure I've seen other shows but can't recall them off the top of my head.
Is a good venue for sure, sound was good all over the place.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
My 3 favorites from Chicago:

Aragon Ballroom
Smartbar Chicago (DJ Venue)
The Metro (Normal venue directly above Smartbar)

There are a few other venues like The Congress Theater but with the violence issues in the area & staffing/security there being slightly under a 5th grade intelligence level i'd rather just not see a show compared to putting up with their dumb-fuckin-asses.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The Aragon Ballroom is a boom room. Way too spacious and it's not built for acoustics at all. I'd much rather go to the Riviera next door or the Chicago Theater. It's a smaller venue, but I also really like the Vic.

Best music venues I've been to are Alpine Music Valley and, of course, Red Rocks. Moonlite Gardens in Cincinnati is also a grade-A gem.

oldcrowms20100708251.jpg

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea I haven't really ventured off to the Riv or Vic for any shows it seems like everything I catch is either Metro, Aragon or House of Blues -- I don't like HoB much either but a lot of the acts I want to see end up there sadly
frown.png
. Never really had any issues with Aragon in terms of sound quality got to see a few great shows there including two nights of NIN's farewell tours.

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've enjoyed The Metro in Chicago, Alpine Valley, the Eagles Ballroom in Milwaukee and the Aladdin Theater and Crystal Ballroom in Portland but nothing I've seen comes close to the Gorge in George, Washington.

Havent been to Red Rocks though.