Cooper's Treasure

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Cooper's Treasure

Genre: Documentary

First aired: 2017-04-18

Cast: Darrell Miklos, Roger Miklos, Manuel Rodriguez, Charles Gregory Schwartz

Overview: The incredible story of 1960's legendary astronaut Gordon Cooper and the secret treasure map he began from space.

Merrith

[SERIES][TVPOSTER]View attachment 132840[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]Cooper's Treasure[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Documentary[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2017-04-18[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]The incredible story of 1960's legendary astronaut Gordon Cooper and the secret treasure map he began from space.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

Anyone onto this yet? Watching premiere right now. Treasure hunter that supposedly was told this giant secret kept for 40 years by Gordon Cooper, one of the original astronauts. Cooper had some sort of equipment to look for nuclear missile silos in the Caribbean, but he got a bunch of readings in shallow waters that indicated shipwrecks.

Apparently he made friends with the guy the show follows, Darrell Miklos, through his father, and before he died, he gave Miklos his "file" with all the coordinates, potential shipwrecks, etc for him to go out and find this stuff.

Supposedly it's actually "unscripted"...not sure how much I believe that, but the premise is cool as hell.

Oldbased

> Than U
Idea seems cool but I just have a hard time trusting Discovery when it turns out in many ways every. single. reality. show. it. has. is. scripted. ...!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Idea seems cool but I just have a hard time trusting Discovery when it turns out in many ways every. single. reality. show. it. has. is. scripted. ...!

That's my issue with it. Read some articles and they claim otherwise...but it just seems too good to be true. Even certain moments with the guy's "family" seemed suspect on this first episode.

Oldbased

> Than U
Agreed. I watched it as well. Future scenes seems to show he got the charts and his pop is working with him and they found the treasure.
The oddity here is the most unbelievable aspect of it is the most believable to me.
We have long had ability to detect metals and resources from satellite. The questions is why did only Cooper do it and so long ago. Why did he never research the wrecks himself or oversee someone else doing it. Why did he wait until he was days from death to pass on such information.

The ocean is a very large place when you are swimming a few meters a minute. The information would have to be pinpoint down to hundreds of yards to be worth anything as like it showed it is buried under silt and sand. If he had the ability to detect minerals and metals in 1960s in space it wouldn't have been that accurate. Why did NASA sit on it?

Something about this whole thing just isn't adding up.
I do like it gives a name I grew up with as a space hero recognition in an era where most kids don't even know who Neil Armstrong is.

Merrith

Yeah I actually thought the scene where he sat down with a bunch of the old guys from the Mercury team was extremely cool. The space connection and diving is enough to keep me watching, but I'm just going to assume like Moog said it's at least all "dramatized".

Oldbased

> Than U
Going full Lum now. FULL GOON
If in the 60s in that bulky suit he was able to sketch drawings of reefs from out in space I will lick an asshole. He wouldn't have seen the pictures a module was taking in real time and he was passing too far overhead to pinpoint down to meters locations of pingback from the scanners. Sure it would go off in an area but not pinpoint.
Gordon was a treasure however and while at the time a rock star never got the fame later in life he deserved.
Fast forward to today and the Air Force mini shuttle. Now this baby absolutely could have the high resolution to pinpoint such things as minerals and metals and magnetism and radioactive materials and so forth but the Air Force/NASA can't quite go on treasure hunts in the name of the US Government so they take this information and doctor it up to appear as notes and get a treasure hunting crew in on it.

Us Gov gets its buried treasure. Treasure hunters hunt treasure and Cooper gets the lasting fame he so deserved in history for being more than a monkey in a space capsule.

Merrith

Going full Lum now. FULL GOON
If in the 60s in that bulky suit he was able to sketch drawings of reefs from out in space I will lick an asshole. He wouldn't have seen the pictures a module was taking in real time and he was passing too far overhead to pinpoint down to meters locations of pingback from the scanners. Sure it would go off in an area but not pinpoint.
Gordon was a treasure however and while at the time a rock star never got the fame later in life he deserved.
Fast forward to today and the Air Force mini shuttle. Now this baby absolutely could have the high resolution to pinpoint such things as minerals and metals and magnetism and radioactive materials and so forth but the Air Force/NASA can't quite go on treasure hunts in the name of the US Government so they take this information and doctor it up to appear as notes and get a treasure hunting crew in on it.

Us Gov gets its buried treasure. Treasure hunters hunt treasure and Cooper gets the lasting fame he so deserved in history for being more than a monkey in a space capsule.

Your idea sounds far more plausible hahaha. I don't know if he actually did the drawings while up there though, seems like he did excursions to Mexico and other places in the years after to check stuff out. Possible he only wrote down coordinates. Still seems sketchy he'd take those trips to check things out and never follow up on it.

Oldbased

> Than U
Your idea sounds far more plausible hahaha. I don't know if he actually did the drawings while up there though, seems like he did excursions to Mexico and other places in the years after to check stuff out. Possible he only wrote down coordinates. Still seems sketchy he'd take those trips to check things out and never follow up on it.
Basically I took all the holes I could find and came up with a plausible theory. I don't believe the way Disco has put it is possible fully at least at that time. It is entirely possible now and could have been done for more modern intelligence on other things. They can't say that though nor can they go treasure hunting on their own. Having it done in this manner and cover, covers the govs ass and props up someone who may have discovered it initially just not to the accuracy they seem to be promoting.

Merrith

As long as they find a pile of treasue at the end, and we keep getting some cool tidbits about the space program with some good diving footage in between I'll be good

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I hate that they show his dad all over the place in the clips from the show. I know Oldbased Oldbased already mentioned that but it really pissed me off because it totally ruins all immersion.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure this is believable anyway. The whole point of Ep1 was saying his dad owns a chart that shows where these sites are. Main dude just has detailed drawings of said sites. Now, supposedly his dad spent his whole life treasure hunting and wreck salvaging. If you have this map with the coordinates, any salvager worth a shit could go and survey. Why didn't he go check any of it out himself? His dad must have been terrible at his work, as he lives in a complete shithole apartment in retirement.

But yea, that was just dumb editing for the peek at the season. You spend the last 1/3 of Episode 1 with these two arguing about their fallout and drama and end the episode thinking it was irreconcilable and he would have to go it alone. Thirty seconds later, "coming up on this season:" .. there's dad and son working on the whole project together. *facepalm*

Merrith

Yeah I don't see the point of building up all that fake tension between them when it's clear they're going to just resolve it and start working together. I just hope sitting through all the bs is worth it for a payoff at the end.

Merrith

What the fuck, literally intro to episode 2 says "true story of one man's journey to find what lies at end of treasure map from space"...then "what he finds is worth billions".

I mean shit, it's nice to know there is a payoff, but didn't need to spoil it all to that degree.

Merrith

And this is why I won't be able to quit this show...meeting Gene Kranz. The connections to the space program with all these neat bits of history more than makes up for any other bullshit of the "reality" of it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i watched tonight's ep a bit, didnt make much sense so i shut it off and gonna start from the first episode. looked like staged drama, but if there is an actual non bullshit payoff, i'll give it a go. keep in mind these shows are usually finished 3-6 months before airing and if they really did find something ground breaking it would be all over the news.

• 1Like

Merrith

i watched tonight's ep a bit, didnt make much sense so i shut it off and gonna start from the first episode. looked like staged drama, but if there is an actual non bullshit payoff, i'll give it a go. keep in mind these shows are usually finished 3-6 months before airing and if they really did find something ground breaking it would be all over the news.

Depends if there's battles over what they found and who gets their shares. But a lot of it still seems contrived. Also shitty he pissed off Gene Kranz, although he should have known he can't just ask about that stuff without it being sensitive.

• 1Like
TV show information provided by The Movie Database