Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Private IPTV is the shit for your live TV needs.

I currently have 3 families on a single account with 3 feeds available across all houses, full HD, channels from multiple countries. Costs me $60 every 6 months. The only annoyance is the host only accepts crypto, but even that is worth the hassle for the savings.
Are you talking about IPTV offered by a private tracker many of us all have invites too? Ride the high seas style.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Are you talking about IPTV offered by a private tracker many of us all have invites too? Ride the high seas style.
No sir, this one predates the website offerings. Also, from what I understand, the one you are referring to is quite a bit more expensive due to its high visibility.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ahh, ok. To be honest I could never understand how to make it work, so didn't even look at the price.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Private IPTV is the shit for your live TV needs.

I currently have 3 families on a single account with 3 feeds available across all houses, full HD, channels from multiple countries. Costs me $60 every 6 months. The only annoyance is the host only accepts crypto, but even that is worth the hassle for the savings.
Anyone want to share what the best options are for iptv? Tired of fucking with shit trying to watch in-market baseball...

LiquidDeath

Ahh, ok. To be honest I could never understand how to make it work, so didn't even look at the price.
It's kind of like running your own Plex server or PiHole. You have to want it bad enough to jump through hoops and learn some bullshit to really make it work. If you show anyone else, you also have to play tech support.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It's kind of like running your own Plex server or PiHole. You have to want it bad enough to jump through hoops and learn some bullshit to really make it work. If you show anyone else, you also have to play tech support.

That said, the reward is great. It took a couple initial weekends to set up because I was a Linux newbie, but now my plex server has been running for like 16 years and I spend almost no energy maintaining it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

That said, the reward is great. It took a couple initial weekends to set up because I was a Linux newbie, but now my plex server has been running for like 16 years and I spend almost no energy maintaining it.

Oh, yes, very much so. I was highlighting that it isn't all cupcakes and rainbows, but if you have the time and desire then it is certainly worth the effort.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of Plex servers, I have one that I share with a few relatives/friends, and I run into the issue of anything 4k not being viable for streaming due to the transcoding crippling the old computer I have it running on. I can stream 4k just fine if they are also viewing it in 4k, but any time they use less it literally just locks that computer up until they cancel it. And I don't want to force them to always use 4k for various reasons (data, the device not being 4k, my internet/computer can't handle two people using it at the same time in 4k, etc.) So I end up keeping a 4k remux version for myself and a lesser quality one for them, or they have to ask me for one.

Now, I was reading about how Plex took the hardware processing out of the free version and it is only available with the paid version. Does anyone pay for the Plex Pass or whatever it is called, and know how effective the hardware processing actually is? I realize it will depend upon the hardware, but does it make a big difference? I'd spring for the lifetime pass when it is on sale one of these holidays if it was worth it, but I always figured it wasn't worth the other extra features. Until I found out about the hardware processing at least.

Alternatively, I've looked into Jellyfin and actually installed it on that computer, but setting it up for outside access seems like a bit of a hassle so I'm pausing that in case Plex Pass is worth having instead. Anyone have experience with Jellyfin they can share? It supposedly has hardware processing included, and since it is open source it is totally free.

Thanks.