Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Quick google says there are some projects doing this for RPI but I don't think you can attach them to like a Sling or anything of that nature. Mostly trying to capture OTA.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So I got two months free of sling tv with my chrome cast, so figured I would give it a shot.

Holy shit is it the worst fucking service I've ever used. I have an iPhone, chromecast, roku, and xbone that are all capable of running it and none of them work for shit.

The chromecast will only show a blank black screen, the iPhone app won't load any ESPN channels and constantly freezes, the roku also won't load half of the channels, and the xbone is so laggy that I cant even change channels.

It's not even worth the price of free. Even when it's actually working, seems like everything I would want to watch (college basketball, MNF) shows as ineligible for the device. What the fuck, why can't put MNF on chromecast? It's intentionally blocked.

Was thinking of just paying the fee to watch the shit I want, but I guess it's back to "borrowing" my brothers log in for watch ESPN and the uverse app

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Curious...You stream Sling TV thru the Chrome browser, and that tab gets blocked from streaming to your Chromecast?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The instance where it says that the program cannot be cast is when I use my iPhone to cast it. Not sure if it matters what the source is or not

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is there a script or addon to bypass hulu's free trial shit and go directly to a bookmarked page without the redirect?

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I use this one:Amazon.com: Logitech Mini Controller for Logitech Revue and Google TV: Electronics

It is very good about not needing a charge much at all. That flip down cover is great for making sure you don't accidentally bump something. Since it is RF you don't need any IR and it works out of the box with Kodi since it is just a keyboard. The round part in the top right can be toggled quickly as a d-pad or mouse toucphad. Can't suggest it enough.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
I use this one:Amazon.com: Logitech Mini Controller for Logitech Revue and Google TV: Electronics

It is very good about not needing a charge much at all. That flip down cover is great for making sure you don't accidentally bump something. Since it is RF you don't need any IR and it works out of the box with Kodi since it is just a keyboard. The round part in the top right can be toggled quickly as a d-pad or mouse toucphad. Can't suggest it enough.
Wow thats what I was looking for before. Does the D pad navigate through kodi? Thats one of the things I wish my remote had. The arrow buttons dont work in the menus.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I cut the cord a month ago....it's amazing how little I miss it really. If I need backround noise I turn HBO GO or something and start playing a tv show off there.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
We're suspending DirecTV for a couple months to give this a shot. Will have an active DirecTV login to access all the channel apps for vod and will probably have an ota antenna installed at our new place when we move next week instead of DirecTV.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i have this
Amazon.com: Rii 2.4GHz Wireless Mini Kodi Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse for Raspberry Pi 2, MacOS, Linux, HTPC, IPTV, Google Android TV Box, Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 (i8+): Computers Accessories

Basically just a big blackberry w/ a mousepad.
2 triple aaa's last a week, i have rechargables so it doesn't bother me. It's always "on" as in i never slide it to off. I noticed reception isn't so crisp, so i dragged a 15ft usb cable from my HTPC to basically my chair, and connected the receiver in that.

Basically battery life really sucks, i have one of those logitech wireless keyboard/mice and 2 double aa's last 6months, always on.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Only thing I miss is premier league on cable. So much that I wrote NBC Sports asking for them to package just those channels. They wrote back and said they plan to stating next season.

It is great that channels are starting to offer more options for cable cutters

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Had every cable channel available from Comcast and 150 down Internet for $110 a month. Just canceled the TV and dropped my Internet in half to 75 down for $50 a month. Haven't had TV in 5+ years and I just verified that I for sure don't need it still.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Had every cable channel available from Comcast and 150 down Internet for $110 a month. Just canceled the TV and dropped my Internet in half to 75 down for $50 a month. Haven't had TV in 5+ years and I just verified that I for sure don't need it still.
No need to actually watch tv on live tv anymore lol it truly is for suckers.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
About the same (thou Europe here). I prefer to watch series when I have time, not when they bother to send the episodes, news I catch broadcasts online and on radio and movies.... well ya know...

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I just cut the cord today because fuck verizon, and they gave me a great deal on 75/75 internet only.

Gonna have to pick up a chromcast or two. Anyone have any alternatives?