Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That looks interesting but I don't want to keep my PS4 controller around all the time so I guess that means a Fire TV?

Seems a bit pricy for the content still though. I'm pretty sure I can get better via cable bundles.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm really surprised at how competitive that service ended up being. SlingTV has a lot of work to do, with their single stream per sub (PSVue is 5) and relatively poor channel selection. They're also on the verge of losing NBC owned channels in a carriage dispute, DISH Network tends to have more of those I think.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That looks interesting but I don't want to keep my PS4 controller around all the time so I guess that means a Fire TV?

Seems a bit pricy for the content still though. I'm pretty sure I can get better via cable bundles.
It has an app that works on the Amazon Fire TV according to the page.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'd do it in a heartbeat if I wasn't waiting on my Google fiber install. I pay $120 a month for DirecTV and that's with no premium movie channels. Google Fiber's TV service is only $60 per month, so at that point I'm weighing $60 vs $45 for Vue so I probably won't bother with Vue(unless Google raises their prices in the future)

However, I posted this on a sports board that I frequent and one of the guys there already signed up for the Vue service and this was his experience:

I dumped Sling and added this instead. You do NOT need a PlayStation for this! I use the app on the Amazon fire stick and have read that it's either available now on Chromecast or will be soon. Much much faster than Sling and tons more channels for (supposedly) $34/mo vs $19 for Sling ($24 if you want SECn). We'll be able to drop Hulu for $8/mo too due to added on demand content. About a wash for us.
Much better interface, guide, and functionality as well.

I say supposedly because, after reading through the forums, there are lots of kinks right now. Here are a few things to consider:

1. They have no idea what they are doing with Fox Sports. It's gonna be the number 1 reason cord cutters choose this plan and they can't seem to figure out what is available where. In STL, FSMW is listed as available in the promo but I can tell you none of us are getting it right now and they've said it will be addressed soon. Some folks in KC are reporting they are getting fox sports but it's FSMW not FSKC. Similar issues reported across the country

2. Billing issues seem to be a mess. You get a 7 day free trial and then your subscription auto renews. Apparently, email you get at 7 days lists a higher price than advertised. You contact them and they say they have a glitch in the email and they'll honor the advertised price....which has left everyone wondering if this is simply a teaser rate that will increase at some point in the future.

3. Online support is very rudimentary at best at this point and the folks you talk to on the phone know marginally more than you do about rates, channels available etc. The two people I've talked to have clearly undergone a couple day crash course on this thing.

4. CBS not available, the other major networks are on demand only. Simple fix...get a $20 HD antenna...picture is better anyway.

5. No NFL network

All in all, I like it. It works well and has a "DVR like" feature that sling doesn't have. However, I feel a little like a Guinea pig. They need to get the regional Fox Sports thing fixed, it's a deal breaker for most.
So take that for what it's worth...sounds like there are still a few hiccups since the service just rolled out(not surprising)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Prices and channels are different by region. In Indy they are all called "slim" options, no idea what that really means. Edit: just looked it up, slim doesn't get local channels. No problem for me, I get them all through antenna

Any way to get longer than 7 day trial? March Madness would be a good trial for it for me

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Have been trying it out, haven't had any issues. Video quality is decent, better than I saw with sling. Haven't had any connectivity issues like I had with sling, and the DVR feature works great

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Still worth it. Netflix is amazing. I'm going going to be pissed off if they start cracking down on multiple users.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Still worth it. Netflix is amazing. I'm going going to be pissed off if they start cracking down on multiple users.
Yeah, been waiting for this bomb to drop. Will be annoying, but I agree Netflix is worth every penny.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why is Plex so against binge watching? I feel they could really improve the user experience by adding some next episode UI elements, after an episode ends similar to Netflix. Only thing I've found is you can hit play on an entire season, and it'll queue it up that way, but that seems to be platform specific, as I couldn't find it on my Ps4, but saw it on the web player.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
The Sony packages look pretty good. I'm wondering whether it's really a better deal, though, given that you have to pay the unbundled Internet rates.

We cut cable a few years ago and have been getting by on Amazon, Twitch and Youtube. I tried Sling for a bit but it was shit.

What is the value proposition on this?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I'm looking at Vue and it seemed like it might be a good deal since it cuts out all those fees but doing the math on what I'm currently paying saves me maybe only 10$ I think. I currently pay comcrap $135/mo for blast 75mbs and 230 channels. The same Blast 75mbs Internet from comcrap is $75 which combined with $54 Vue is $130 pre tax. Seems like a wash if not a bit more with sales tax, no?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is that not with a contract bundle price? Seems like 230 chan would run more like 80-100 even in a bundle.