Costa Rica

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know what the travel situation to Cuba is from the US currently, though I was told even when you weren't allowed to go you just asked Cuban customs not to stamp your passport and it's all good. I went to Cuba a number of times when I lived in Canada-- it was basically Canada's version of the common US Mexican vacation and was preferred because it was untouched and obviously free from American Spring Break fratboys.

There's only one "tourist" city called Veradero that the government built specifically for tourists and privileged locals on vacation. Beaches are fantastic, nightlife is pretty good (great live music/dancing), girls are hella loose, food is decent, and everything is (or was) dirt cheap. You can also obviously do Havana, which basically looks like a city frozen in time circa 1960. Do bottle service in Havana for like $50 and say hello to your free harem/entourage. As for safety, it's probably one of the safest places I've ever travelled. As a tourist you are God-- if anybody so much as looks at you the wrong way they'll get stuffed into the back of squad car and never seen again. When on the beach you will get hit up by locals that will offer you a family cooked meal for $20 US where they'll invite you for dinner and use your coin to buy food they can't normally afford to eat (like lobster). Great food and great people.

The last time I went (10 years ago) a week in Varadero including a 2 day trip to Havana cost me $1200 including flight. That was all inclusive with free alcohol. I would buy two boxes of Cohiba cigars locally for $75, bring them back to Canada, then sell them to a Cigar aficionado in NY for $500 and pretty much pay for half my vacation..
Haha nice racket you had. You make Cuba seem like a blast for a guys trip. Going to be bringing a girl with me, so a lot of that stuff is off the table (although she *is* pretty openminded now that I think about it).

That said, I think as an American Cuba is still a bit of a hassle. Plus I still think Costa Rica might be a cool spot for our purposes- she's a nut about wildlife.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Haha nice racket you had. You make Cuba seem like a blast for a guys trip. Going to be bringing a girl with me, so a lot of that stuff is off the table (although she *is* pretty openminded now that I think about it).

That said, I think as an American Cuba is still a bit of a hassle. Plus I still think Costa Rica might be a cool spot for our purposes- she's a nut about wildlife.
Yeah, really nothing wrong with Costa Rica, especially with the direct flights. I'm just an old cranky bitch at this point and want a big fluffy bed on vacation and some short Hispanic guy bringing me drinks by the beach/pool. You can still get that in Costa Rica, but it's more for the zip-lining, hiking, sleep in the dirt type of traveler. It's definitely a dream come true in terms of outdoor activities and animal/bird watching. Monkeys too of course..

Really, if I have one suggestion it's to NOT choose a hotel/resort that is either inside the jungle or on the edge of one. The howler monkeys and frogs FUCK ALL NIGHT and are deafeningly loud even through closed windows. I probably slept 3 hours a night when I was there as a result.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, really nothing wrong with Costa Rica, especially with the direct flights. I'm just an old cranky bitch at this point and want a big fluffy bed on vacation and some short Hispanic guy bringing me drinks by the beach/pool. You can still get that in Costa Rica, but it's more for the zip-lining, hiking, sleep in the dirt type of traveler. It's definitely a dream come true in terms of outdoor activities and animal/bird watching. Monkeys too of course..

Really, if I have one suggestion it's to NOT choose a hotel/resort that is either inside the jungle or on the edge of one. The howler monkeys and frogs FUCK ALL NIGHT and are deafeningly loud even through closed windows. I probably slept 3 hours a night when I was there as a result.
Yeah... I've seen lots of comments about no one sleeping past dawn due to howler monkeys. I'm a super light sleeper too... bad news for me.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
As a US citizen I think you still need to fly to Canada first. Then you just take your flight to Cuba from there. I've read travel guides that say they won't stamp your passport once you get off the plane in Cuba if you ask.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been to Quepos/Manuel Antonio and Tamarindo/Playa Conchal (separate trips). Costa Rica is friendly, English is spoken widely there, and it definitely has the outdoor/rain forest vibe rather than beach resort.

Like most smaller countries, the roads are not like US roads. Expect narrow, twisty 2 lane everywhere; if that bothers you, arrange for a shuttle. It is not "cheap" there as far as cost of living. Expect to pay prices similar to US for dining out, groceries, etc.

Also, there is an exit tax when you are departing the country. I think it is about $40. Some plane tickets include it, others don't. Just something to be aware of.