Credit Card Fraud

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals VP
<Gold Donor>
Some douche that lives in a trailer in Mississippi tried to charge a Roomba to my credit card today. Bank sent me a text that they declined it then asked if I made it - no. So they're sending me a new card.

He managed to have my email address, credit card and billing address it seems because after it was declined I got an email from Dell showing all my info along with his shipping address and my name.

Dusted off the database and it's a jogger that lives in a mobile home in Mississippi I believe.

Ive had fraud before but never to the point that they had my email and billing info.

Should I be concerned? Should I get identity theft monitoring (China stole my ID like 5 years ago, get fucked China). Just get the new card and proceed as normal?

Thanks in advance hombres.

Last edited:

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
At a minimum, I would contact Experian, Equifax, or TransUnion and get them to put an "initial fraud alert" on your credit reports, which theoretically will make it harder for someone to open credit in your name for 12 months. You only need to contact one; the bureau that you contact is responsible for alerting the other two. At the time you file your report, the bureau you contact will also give you a credit report free of charge. To be safe, I would also probably use annualcreditreport.com so that you can get copies of your report from the two bureaus that you did not contact, as well (the two others bureaus will add the fraud alert when they are contacted by the bureau that you personally alerted, but they are not responsible for giving you a copy of your credit report.) Because of COVID, the bureaus are now giving everyone access to their reports once a week.

Because someone did actually attempt to defraud you and you have documentation of such, you can also file a police report or a report with the FTC. A police/FTC report enables you to put an "extended fraud alert" on your report; those last for 7 years.

If you want to go scorched earth, you can also freeze your credit reports, but you'll need to thaw them out if you want to apply for any new credit after the freeze is placed.

You can also pull your ChexSystems report to make sure that no one has opened any bank accounts in your name.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Since you can afford cool watches, pony up the $12 or $15 a month to the agencies for credit monitoring. I got it free for a year a while back and it turned out I found it worth the money in this day and age. Instant email/text anytime anything touches my credit. Worth the price of Netflix if it saves you one fucked up incident before the fact.

And everything else written above.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user