Credit Score Question

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Since this thread is already going and active, I'm going to jump in here with a related question of my own:

How accurate are those free credit reports some credit card companies (Capital One, Discover) give you access to for free with their cards nowadays? Do they more or less accurately reflect your credit score information, or are they just bullshit marketing by the credit card companies?

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I get mine via chase and didn't trust those other sites, although I have a capital one card and should see if it matches.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Chase showed everything reported that experian.com shows, except with experian.com you have to pay to see YOUR actual score.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Get your parents to put you on a card and it might bump your account age

My parents put me on a credit card 30 years ago so I would have one travelling. I have a length of almost 40 years on my credit score for that card and I'm 46.

Siliconemelons

I have a short sale on my credit - of the 3 reporters 1 didn't have it, one had it reported as a foreclosure and listed completely wrong (then and now? there is still no 'code' for short sale) and the other had it, as accurately reported as it could be as a court settled outcome. It is stupid they do not have a code for it, because they make up the codes...

My wife's credit is good and getting better- she did not get the short sale on her credit as the loan was originated under me solely- mine is in an odd flux... I just did a trucredit? or something that one of the cards offers and it was like 50+ above the FICO score I get with another card... odd

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
My parents put me on a credit card 30 years ago so I would have one travelling. I have a length of almost 40 years on my credit score for that card and I'm 46.
Has had credit card for 30 years

40 years of credit history

Can't explain that

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Has had credit card for 30 years

40 years of credit history

Can't explain that

My parents had the card from before they put me on it. That's the point, getting a credit card listed on your score assuming it has good payment for much longer than you've had it. I never knew it was a common thing people do till just recently. But when I got a credit score a couple of years ago it showed up. But you would think the credit agencies would figure that out especially in cases where you have one longer than you could have used it.

sole

Molten Core Raider
I just received 3 emails with the support next DELETION #Acct, looks like that must have been something they do automatically? I got one from great lakes and two more from another collection agency.

Assuming these are actually fixed, what time frame would it take before I see an uptick if any I mean, 90 days? 180?

If they delete the account it should be reflected on your credit report in a week or two.

Since this thread is already going and active, I'm going to jump in here with a related question of my own:

How accurate are those free credit reports some credit card companies (Capital One, Discover) give you access to for free with their cards nowadays? Do they more or less accurately reflect your credit score information, or are they just bullshit marketing by the credit card companies?

They're not too bad... generally update weekly, account(s) info is current, etc., but if they're only pulling from TU and EQ, they'll miss Experian, so that could skew your score. That score also isn't a true FICO, so I wouldn't trust them for let's say, a home loan. First National Bank of Omaha has a credit card that gives you your FICO 8 score every two months. If you can get that card it's worth having just for that; I believe mine is an AMEX. I'm sure there are other cards that offer a true FICO score as well.

Regarding free annual reports, if you want your credit score from that CRA you'll have to purchase it. I think it's only $10-$15. That's why I like the FNBO card, no fee or usage, just a fresh FICO 8 score bi-monthly.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

Just do creditkarma

Siliconemelons

Just do creditkarma

CreditKarma is not "real" FICO right? Its a proprietary thing they use to come up with a number that is "equivalent" to a true FICO score.

I wonder if banks are going to start to use those alternative "scores" because they actually tend to "look" at things from a more realistic point of view as opposed to the hard core FICO #'s are #'s etc. etc.

I know banks, or at least credit unions started to go back to the "old" way of reviewing personally the entire history and meaningful events and putting them up against non-black-and-white print items that are part of the entire process of getting a big loan. For me for instance, my score was really hit bad because every month in process of my short sale, it is a 90,120+ day non-payment, every month its going you get more and more of those...those are what "hurt" your score "more" than the settlement of the debt- so some banks, for instance would look at my report- and see that outside that one event - that in
FICO #'s is 10+ negative "events" but in reality its "one" entire event... sometimes the banks then would adjust their outlook on your credit to be more "realistic"

Basically after the big crash, banks could no longer just put a barrier YES = score = 600+ or something stupid like that like it was before the crash of houses, so they returned to a more traditional evaluation that does not just blindly take a # and run.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
CreditKarma is not "real" FICO right? Its a proprietary thing they use to come up with a number that is "equivalent" to a true FICO score.

I wonder if banks are going to start to use those alternative "scores" because they actually tend to "look" at things from a more realistic point of view as opposed to the hard core FICO #'s are #'s etc. etc.

I know banks, or at least credit unions started to go back to the "old" way of reviewing personally the entire history and meaningful events and putting them up against non-black-and-white print items that are part of the entire process of getting a big loan. For me for instance, my score was really hit bad because every month in process of my short sale, it is a 90,120+ day non-payment, every month its going you get more and more of those...those are what "hurt" your score "more" than the settlement of the debt- so some banks, for instance would look at my report- and see that outside that one event - that in
FICO #'s is 10+ negative "events" but in reality its "one" entire event... sometimes the banks then would adjust their outlook on your credit to be more "realistic"

Basically after the big crash, banks could no longer just put a barrier YES = score = 600+ or something stupid like that like it was before the crash of houses, so they returned to a more traditional evaluation that does not just blindly take a # and run.
Can't check mail, but I think I get at least Experian scores from them, also many use it for renting, I saw tons of sites linking to credit karma

Siliconemelons

Can't check mail, but I think I get at least Experian scores from them, also many use it for renting, I saw tons of sites linking to credit karma

Just from some quick google-fu... Its not an exact X=X from one of the 3 nor an average of the 3 - it is its own thing... no idea where or what info it is actually drawing from. However from some user posts there are banks etc. that are taking them as a viable score option, however usually upon the applicant bringing it forward to them.

There are of course, some theorists out there that are saying its a new pay-for-credit scam, and if banks do not play nice with them---they count all the accounts from that bank as BAD - so people seeing their score go down try to avoid those banks, and if those banks play nice and accept their newfangled "open and fair" credit number - then they are seen as positive accounts.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
So believe it or not it took just a phone call and being polite to get the past debt companies to mail off saying I was cleared on the 2 ancient disputes, and the new ones all did pretty much everything as well.

The negative judgment I had for 6 years of medical bills from another life as an wack mma fighter is now being cleared up, I am paying 500 in interest and court fees in exchange for the accrual to stop and settle on 1700$ more by August 22nd, gave myself enough time in case I mess up BAD.

Thanks to everyone for helping with my anxiety about all this, I appreciate all of you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
So believe it or not it took just a phone call and being polite to get the past debt companies to mail off saying I was cleared on the 2 ancient disputes, and the new ones all did pretty much everything as well.

The negative judgment I had for 6 years of medical bills from another life as an wack mma fighter is now being cleared up, I am paying 500 in interest and court fees in exchange for the accrual to stop and settle on 1700$ more by August 22nd, gave myself enough time in case I mess up BAD.

Thanks to everyone for helping with my anxiety about all this, I appreciate all of you.
You were an mma fighter? Post some of your fights

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
YouTube Lukas Bowar, please remember this was when mma wasn't household and I'm in no way shape or form fit anymore like such lol

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
YouTube Lukas Bowar, please remember this was when mma wasn't household and I'm in no way shape or form fit anymore like such lol
So this is you beating the shit out of this gangly redneck?

Thats fucking sweet, much props. Got away with a few shots to back of the dome tho.