Critically acclaimed shows of the last 20 years that you haven't watched

spronk

FPS noob
i tried watching Legend of the Seeker but it was way too cheesy and high school-ish to keep me interested. I did hear it got very "sexy" after a while with a lot of hot chicks lezzing out and stuff but end of the day its still a PG-show, and while tits and ass can keep a mediocre show interesting it cant help a shitty show.

Pushing Daisies is another cool show that was axxed before its time (2 seasons), from the creator of Dead Like Me and very, very stylized (intense, beautiful costumes/sets/etc). Tudors was decent, again a show where tits & ass took a show from mediocrity to pretty good. Downton Abbey is pretty much a soap opera that has spent lavishly on its sets and costumes. Downton, Tudors, and Pushing Daisies are great shows to watch with wife/gf since women will like the show too, whereas most women will not enjoy Wire, Sopranos, Deadwood, BSG, etc (yeah some women will, most won't). Just don't get roped into watching shit like Good Wife, Dancing With the Stars, Singing with WhoGivesAfuck, etc.

I watched Seinfeld in college or soon after, while it was current, and I vaguely remember it was basically Seinfeld = guys show, Friends = girls show (guys watched it to get laid). So yeah, if you prefer Friends to Seinfeld, welp...

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
I don't think "Dead Like Me" has been mentioned in this thread yet. I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure most people haven't. It's extremely good and I believe it was fairly critically acclaimed.
This was a great show, sucked that there was only 2 seasons of it.
Can't believe it was 10 years ago, holy shit.
I never did get around to checking out the straight to dvd movie though.

Rime

<Donor>
Be glad you never did. It was absolute garbage.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I'm really loving Hannibal. The first two episodes are excellent and it's very creepy. Also, there's a lot of blood/violence for it being on network television during primetime. Someone getting shot in the head in broad daylight while someone else standing there gets sprayed with the blood spatter? Go NBC! If you're not watching this show, you should.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Just don't get roped into watching shit like Good Wife, Dancing With the Stars, Singing with WhoGivesAfuck, etc.

I watched Seinfeld in college or soon after, while it was current, and I vaguely remember it was basically Seinfeld = guys show, Friends = girls show (guys watched it to get laid). So yeah, if you prefer Friends to Seinfeld, welp...
Actually The Good Wife is pretty fucking great compared to all the shit we get on tv these days. Has no place in this thread but don't throw it away because of the title.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
In fairness the books do a good job of shitting on the books as well!
LOL, Wife said pretty much the same thing. In the end, she liked both the books and the series. She thought the changes in the show were mostly good.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
btw, just to add. Justified is actually an exceptional series, for those who haven't watched it. At first I thought it was going to be an episodic, "southern" cop drama---but it turned into much, much more a few episodes in. Now I rank it up there with the other "golden age" shows. If you liked Deadwood and more western appeal, it's a for sure do watch (And it's free on Amazon Prime.)

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm really loving Hannibal. The first two episodes are excellent and it's very creepy. Also, there's a lot of blood/violence for it being on network television during primetime. Someone getting shot in the head in broad daylight while someone else standing there gets sprayed with the blood spatter? Go NBC! If you're not watching this show, you should.
What the fuck? Wrong thread?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
btw, just to add. Justified is actually an exceptional series, for those who haven't watched it. At first I thought it was going to be an episodic, "southern" cop drama---but it turned into much, much more a few episodes in. Now I rank it up there with the other "golden age" shows. If you liked Deadwood and more western appeal, it's a for sure do watch (And it's free on Amazon Prime.)
I'll second this. I kept putting off checking this show out, I like Olyphant, but I am pretty tired of cop shows and it sounded like just a modern day gunfighter series. So I watched the first couple episodes and was pretty surprised. I was like, so he says some badass shit and shoots people, pretty entertaining but I wondered how long can they keep this up? One week and 4 seasons later and I'm still wondering and can't wait for more. Really amazing cast. Out of all 4 seasons I only felt like one of the episodes was a bit lacking.

panda_assassin

Molten Core Raider
Last time I checked what was probably a few years ago it was available on netflix instant, but couldn't make it past 15 minutes, it was really really bad and I liked the show a lot.