Crowfall

Vitality

HUSTLE
I also feel like nobody knows enough about the EK to value the EK rewards. And everything they mention about the EK boils down to, "fuck off about the EK already, the game is in the campaigns, but please buy our EK rewards because that's all we can monetize."
Prediction: they're going to monetize character permanence resets in the future (character creation runes and promotional classes). It's not a power sale and would probably be a hot commodity to trade the vip tokens for (if they charge a vip token for a reset).

Am I missing something or would that be an acceptable monetization angle?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Prediction: they're going to monetize character permanence resets in the future (character creation runes and promotional classes). It's not a power sale and would probably be a hot commodity to trade the vip tokens for (if they charge a vip token for a reset).
What's a character permanence reset?

Vitality

HUSTLE
What's a character permanence reset?
Offering the option to reset your character creation choices and or promotion class (which are considered non changable right now).

I'm just asking if they were to offer a cash shop respec for your character would it be bad or good?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh, I don't care if they monetize that. I also hope they monetize being able to leave your campaign early. Fight me or pay the toll mother fucker.

And can you imagine the drama from guilds imploding where all the pussies in the guild bow out and force the real men to either pay-to-lose or split their guild? haha

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
They offered some kind of weapon/armor skin in one of the low (lowest) tier. They will make a ton of money with that kind of stuff in the future. People love housing and will have EK stuff for sure. There should be some character resets and stuff to be monetized and campaign transfers kind of like WOW does.

I expect that sort of thing.

Vitality

HUSTLE
That 15k backer stretch goal...

Since the beginning, we have we really (really!) wanted to add VR support for Crowfall. We think that our vision -- the immersive environments, the seasonal effects and the visceral, sweaty-palms-oh-dear-lord-whats-around-the-next-corner survival nature of our gameplay -- is a perfect fit for virtual reality.

Thanks to Unity 5's native support of Oculus (and we're hoping Vive at some point!) we are excited to say that the possibility is in our grasp -- so we're including it as a stretch goal. Help us find 15,000 backers and we'll make it happen!

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
That 15k backer stretch goal...

Since the beginning, we have we really (really!) wanted to add VR support for Crowfall. We think that our vision -- the immersive environments, the seasonal effects and the visceral, sweaty-palms-oh-dear-lord-whats-around-the-next-corner survival nature of our gameplay -- is a perfect fit for virtual reality.

Thanks to Unity 5's native support of Oculus (and we're hoping Vive at some point!) we are excited to say that the possibility is in our grasp -- so we're including it as a stretch goal. Help us find 15,000 backers and we'll make it happen!
I thought that was some kind of april fool's joke when I first read it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
It might be built into the engine and requires very minimal work. Who knows. Ultimately it could just be a different option for camera control. It's tied into backers and not a money goal.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I love VR, have a OVR DK2 and am super excited for VR in the gamespace but VR in MMORPGs, especially this one, makes little sense. The perspective isn't great, the game is so UI centric, communication via chat will likely be central to the game and reading stuff will probably be very important. Plus this isn't the kind of game you hop into for a 15 minute experience. It's the kind where you set up your operation at Irondick Mine and muck about defending/operating it for 5 hours.

What's likely is that some VR dev threw their art assets into an OVR configured unity project, put one of their producers in the Rift and they liked it enough to promise it. Or they want to get some of that sweet, sweet VR hype from it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
We haven't officially decided and won't until after alpha. But if they can deliver on the feature-set they provided then probably. Their design could be summed up as, "Hey let's make a game that the PvP community wants to play."

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
It might be built into the engine and requires very minimal work. Who knows. Ultimately it could just be a different option for camera control. It's tied into backers and not a money goal.
Unity 5 has native support (or will).

From what I've heard from a Unity developer, it's pretty damn easy to add and implement. They even have tools to ensure the UI is easily rendered correctly. This is likely something they were going to add no matter what, this goal will just push them to add support on release. Also helps with marketing, as people who invest in or are interested in this expensive tech are going to seek out games that use it.

I'm looking forward to it. I've been using 3D Vision for a while, and I think 3D/VR adds a new level of immersiveness. I don't think a game has to built from the ground up to utilize VR in every design decision (in my opinion, most of those type of games just end up as gimmicky VR demos). A lot of it does depend on improvements to the current tech though. Being able to read text is pretty important, unless they've just going to go full voice communication only.

Vitality

HUSTLE
It's not VR until I have to run on a 360 pivot treadmill to move the character and wear a pressure application vest to feel the damage.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The other big reason why VR won't be popular in MMOs is that it's unlikely to confer a big advantage like it can in FPS/flight sim games.