Crowfall

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
popsicle I feel like you don't know enough about the game to even begin to effectively consider the major challenges are facing it.

I do think, however, that there should be zero PvE in the EK. I don't even know what they plan to have crafters 'craft' in the EK other than turning materials won in the campaigns into trophies.
I don't feel there's enough solid information to know. And the information we do have is at least not presented as design decisions they've made for long term health of the game or to maximize fun, but a bunch of hype about ruling your own kingdom and how characters are heroes. Some of that is to be expected, but I feel gamers these days are also savy enough to be given some nuts and bolts and underlying mechanics, which I'm not seeing much in terms of how things will actually work, and how they plan on implementing them.

They're talking about a vibrant, player driven market, and campaigns fight over resources, and they've got screenshots of crafting UIs, so EK seems to be where you'll expect to make and/or sell shit you earned in the Campaign (aside from campaign related.

Shit, they even say "You can explore, craft, build structures and even fight monsters."

So instead of wasting resources on trying to sell the notion everyone can be their own ruler of a Kingdom, where you can even fight monsters, why not just cut out Landmark and make EQN worth a shit... errr wait sorry, you know what I meant.

Nothing feels as special as your character being the hero... standing next to every other character that's also a hero, and you being the ruler of a kingdom, just like everyone else. It's short term hype that gets nerds dreaming of a land people are begging to build in, with a bustling player driven economy, etc, but how do we all really see them ending up being?

Why would anyone excited about a 'real' PvP game be excited they're spending time and resources on this, the bluebiest of PvE nonsense? It's that kind of thing that worries me and dampened all my initial excitement for a good PvP game.

At least they're seeming to have a lot of PvE in the Campaigns, though, that actually excites me! :p

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Almost all the pre-alpha guild stuff is nonsense in ways that is impossible to decipher for people like the OP of that thread. The guild forum is full of new guilds, active old guilds, has beens and never-weres. The new guilds are obvious. It's very difficult for the OP to separate the other three guilds and it's impossible for anyone to determine who will be an active guild and who will be a has-been in two years. Right now we have 100 people on every night. Will that translate to success in Crowfall? Who knows.

The other big factor is how much attrition is common due to the switch from alpha to release. A lot of the heavy hitting players in alpha quit post-release because they enjoy playing MMO alphas more than released MMOs. This is especially true for streamers who build streaming guilds and the entire market for streamers is different pre and post release. A final factor in this is how many people in different guilds just join a big guild in alpha because only 5% of their friends happen to be playing at the time, then in release when they're all playing they go back to their community.

The same goes for people joining a guild. I feel like if we brought in 30 people this month who were super pumped for CF, only 3 of them would be around for release. And there's some selection bias there because if you're the kind of person who just plays every big PvP game, you're probably in a guild now anyway.

I'd reply in that thread recommending the person join a guild who not only has a credible record but is currently competing in a game right now, but that'd just point them to PRX and we aren't even recruiting for CF and won't be for a year at least probably.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
What other game is offering 1 to 3 month procedurally generated worlds where its core gameplay focus is PVP.

I'd like to know so I can play it.

Also popsicle, if you wouldn't mind slapping a TL;DR summation on your posts I'd really appreciate it. In no offense. I'm bypassing a good portion of your point due to conjecture.
There is only one game that's similar, the difference is the world isn't procedurally generated but it is 'refreshed'. World War II Online (Battleground: Europe). That game has an long history but surprisingly it's still running.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Also popsicle, if you wouldn't mind slapping a TL;DR summation on your posts I'd really appreciate it. In no offense. I'm bypassing a good portion of your point due to conjecture.
I've read you post! Feel free to skip anything you want. I'm not your teacher, so don't need an update on your progress. No offense taken, but having to post that I read your post about you choosing not to read my posts is.... awkward?

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why would anyone excited about a 'real' PvP game be excited they're spending time and resources on this, the bluebiest of PvE nonsense? It's that kind of thing that worries me and dampened all my initial excitement for a good PvP game.
You don't have to. If you only play Terminator rules (no imports) then you can use the resources solely for the campaigns, and you'll probably have an advantage because of it (they talked about having to balance which resources you export out and which you use to win the campaign).

Vitality

HUSTLE
You don't have to. If you only play Terminator rules (no imports) then you can use the resources solely for the campaigns, and you'll probably have an advantage because of it (they talked about having to balance which resources you export out and which you use to win the campaign).
A ton of guys I know are going this route, myself included, at the minimum I'll fund my VIP access with exports from terminator if the game world comes to a critical mass of excess materials.

Just need to figure out what size socks Tuco wears and I'm gold.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
$1.4 million hit.

Minotaur Archetype and "the Infected" ruleset (God war) announced as $1.5 million stretch goal.

The Infected ruleset is the multi-faction system that supports the War-of-the-Gods: 12 factions, one for each God, warring for supremacy of a Campaign World. We've really looking forward to having this ruleset and we REALLY hope you guys will support us to make it happen sooner, rather than later!

...AND in addition to that, we're going to take this opportunity to add another Archetype to the mix: the Minotaur! As some of you already know, we're big fans of the Bullmen around here. (And no, not just because of our close proximity to UT Austin.) The Minotaur Myrmidon was an archetype that we wanted at launch... but for cost reasons, we cut him. At $1.5 million, we're going to change that.
Crowfall_MymidonConcept.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not a big fan of the art, it looks too cartoony for me.
I like
minotaur-1.jpg

better.

Also do they have any more details on the 12 faction war? I wonder if they have ideas on how to give each faction its own ruleset and flavor. With 12 sides I wonder how they'll make it so a large alliance doesn't pile in and wreck everyone. Having 'faction leaders' be able to ally up would be interesting.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Another interesting development:

On the Minotaur early start for VIP customers: For all new archetypes beyond the initial 12 offered, VIP customers will get a one month head start in using a character slot for those archetypes. Fortunately all the Kickstarter backers already got a month of VIP included as an earlier backer reward!

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
12 faction sounds interesting for sure. I think they are making a mistake by not announcing like 2-3 more stretch goals so people will bump pledges.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
12 faction sounds interesting for sure. I think they are making a mistake by not announcing like 2-3 more stretch goals so people will bump pledges.
I found it interesting that they have more backer stretch goals than money stretch goals. The strangest one to me is the VR support and that's not even a money stretch goal.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The VR thing is an effort to capitalize on all the pre-release hype the VR market has. They may as well add a special tier that gives you a ship in Star Citizen.

Thinking about the 12 faction thing again, didn't Tera or some other game have some kind of faction leadership position that was voting based? I think that'd be really interesting and fitting in this game.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I found it interesting that they have more backer stretch goals than money stretch goals.
That's probably because they have external funding. The Kickstarter is more to gauge/generate interest than just getting money. Although more money is always good, and put to good use.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I feel like the # backer is more compelling for people to tell their friends about it than the $ amount backed. It's easier for me to say to my friend, "Hey back this game for $5, if a few hundred more back it I get something sweet" than to say, "Hey back this game for $100.". And they rightfully believe that if someone donates a paltry $5 they'll donate more if they like the concept.

I wonder how many $5 backers are other Kickstarter hopefuls that want to get a high Backed count to get Kickstarter support.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Have you ever told someone to back something "so I get something sweet for my $5?". I think the more compelling and the conversation that people are more often likely to have is "I backed this game fort $100, you can get in, they have a $5 tier too".

Vitality

HUSTLE
I don't have any friends who are that cheap.

Most of the text messages I get about game pre-purchases are between 100 and 500 as a rough valuation.