Crowfall

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Guess I need to fire this up again soon and see what has changed. Last time I played it barely felt like a game. Would love for this game to be good as I'm a fan of the genre so glad to hear people saying positive things. But it could totally just not come out too.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Depending on when you last played it has not changed much, but changed tremendously.

The worlds look vastly better, the systems run better, but some shit just doesn't work. Classes and disciplines change everything combat wise and make for some very amusing combinations. Like slotting Bard and Troubadour and you have a centaur almost EQ bard. While stripping out almost all of the centaurs normal kit.

However it is still kinda the same, gathering is a needed chore. Unfun and seemingly hated by the main dev. But who knows they were hiding all these changes from last week so maybe the cranial inversion surgery will be a success.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Beneath the janky movement and stilted animations and annoying combo popup windows, I see: a cooldown management sim.

Another year, another MMO repeating the same dumb conventions.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Was digging into recent vids. Like the concepts but man it's really starting to feel like feature creep disaster like Star Citizen.

I mean first you got this disposable body idea as a core concept then you have that fat turd Ut really hates in a video talking about how they had to switch gears to make all classes playable by all races now before getting pay Alpha because... You don't want people to get too invested into their disposable bodies for their disposable alpha characters? Wut?

None of this shit makes sense unless I missed the video that was like "JK permadeath and full loot pvp, now it's basically Black Desert and EQ2 had a baby"

Last edited:

xzi

Mouthbreather
I mean first you got this disposable body idea as a core concept then you have that fat turd Ut really hates in a video talking about how get had to switch gears to make all classes playable by all races now before getting pay Alpha because... You don't want people to get too invested into their disposable bodies for their disposable alpha characters? Wut?

Did I miss something? I haven't been in this thread in like 100 something pages, I thought the entire point of this game was that eventually everything resets for everyone?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Did I miss something? I haven't been in this thread in like 100 something pages, I thought the entire point of this game was that eventually everything resets for everyone?

Yes, that was the concept. They just released a promo video about the decision to let everyone be anything and in it justified the decision due to increased funding and the need to tackle it now because "people would get too invested in the character they didn't really want". It makes utterly no sense from any perspective.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
They wanted to do Classes and races, but felt it would be too much time and cost due to animations. They added in the discs and were doing a ton of animations anyways. So they went with the race and class system that they really wanted from the beginning but didn't think they had the time and money for, but turns out they had both. Maybe. Kinda.

There are still basically 3ish classes for each of the races.

They have a shitton of work to do though, and some of the very basic stuff is a chore. (Gathering) Clunky (Crafting), or Chunky. (combat engine)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They wanted to do Classes and races, but felt it would be too much time and cost due to animations. They added in the discs and were doing a ton of animations anyways. So they went with the race and class system that they really wanted from the beginning but didn't think they had the time and money for, but turns out they had both. Maybe. Kinda.

There are still basically 3ish classes for each of the races.

They have a shitton of work to do though, and some of the very basic stuff is a chore. (Gathering) Clunky (Crafting), or Chunky. (combat engine)

Ok right but what happened to the permadeath disposable characters?

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok right but what happened to the permadeath disposable characters?

They floated permadeath as a possible idea for a campaign that only allowed one death. But it was never a staple of the overall game mechanics, from my understanding.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They floated permadeath as a possible idea for a campaign that only allowed one death. But it was never a staple of the overall game mechanics, from my understanding.

No that was the entire premise, you had your 'crow' dude which was your like pilot on EVE with skill points and shit, then you can like buy and sell corpses as a necro or w/e, find ones in loot IDK quests. Point was you 'inhabit' the body and its like dead if you die on permadeath realm, otherwise you can swap out to other bodies in other campaigns or like take all the shit back to the large housing/campaign overworld but can't reenter and things like that.

I realize there were non-permadeath areas of most worlds and more hardcore stuff, but the disposable body part was completely a core component so you could swap classes randomly.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I realize there were non-permadeath areas of most worlds and more hardcore stuff, but the disposable body part was completely a core component so you could swap classes randomly.

You can still do that. And it still works mostly like you described.

But I wouldn't really call their system "permadeath" in the traditional sense.