01/29/2015 Update Synopsis

New Archtype | Stoneborn aka Dwarven Forgemaster

rrr_img_89172.jpg

World Segmentation

rrr_img_89170.jpg

rrr_img_89171.jpg

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS | Combat
1. Does combat use tab-targeting?

No. We've tried to make combat in Crowfall a little more action-combat focused, than your traditional MMO. For instance, we have "dashes" that you use to avoid attacks, as opposed to a passive (randomized) dodge system. Finding the right balance on this one has been extremely challenging from a design perspective, but we think we've found a mid-point. Hopefully you'll agree.

2. How does targeting work?

Generally, melee attacks happen in the area in front of the character. There is no hard "target". Attacks use various shapes such as: cones, rectangles, and spheres. You can optionally turn on or off a projected ground texture, if you want to visualize where your character is attacking.

3. What is the simulation model? Can players "walk through" other players? How are projectiles simulated?

We use a physics model for character movement and combat simulation. This means that players and projectiles move realistically in the 3D environment, with momentum and inertia. This implies a number of interesting side effects that you probably aren't used to (like players being unable to move through each other, projectiles hitting accidental targets, etc.) There are some implications that we aren't quite ready to talk about yet. We'll go into more detail about the ramifications of this system later.

4. Does the game use the "trinity system" of class balance (tank, DPS, and healer)?

No. Some elements, yes, of course. But overall, not really.

We have characters that are more offensive. We have characters that are more defensive. We have characters with support powers. But we made the game purposefully light on in-combat healing, to make it more deadly.

And remember, we've opened up the character customization options (through Promotion classes and Disciplines) to make each character a "mixed bag" of skills and powers. Each archetype starts with pre-disposition towards a certain playstyle, but after that, the game system really opens up and allows you to adapt your character any way you like.

5. Why de-emphasize combat healing?

Combat healing effectively adds a multiplier to each combatant's effective hit points. A defender isn't just managing one health bar, his "effective" health pool is = his personal health bar * powers driven by the mana pool of every healer actively supporting him. This makes a lot of sense for games that focus around PvE combat where the monsters have thousands of hit points - especially raids. It makes less sense in a game focused on skill-based player-versus-player combat.

6. But the game will still have instanced based PvE raids, right?

No, actually. Crowfall is a game is about territorial conquest and a player-driven economy - not PvE raids.

7. Do you have boss monsters?

Sort of. Not exactly.

We have creatures that are incredibly deadly, but they don't hang out at the end of a dungeon waiting for you to come kill them. They also don't drop rare magic items when defeated - because that would undercut the player-driven economy.

Instead, they sometimes drop rare reagents, which a master crafter can use as additives to craft high-end equipment.

8. How can you allow for so much character customization, and still claim that every character is balanced?

We don't claim that! The idea that "all characters should be equally balanced in all situations" is not one of our design goals. We're giving you the control to be able to customize your character. The natural result is that some character builds will inevitably be better than others.

Instead, our goal is to create a deep, complex simulation - filled with tactical and environmental considerations and emergent gameplay. Our design goal is that no single character is better than others in every situation.

This approach means that mastery of the game relies on skill: knowing how to build your character in a way that suits your playstyle, and then seeking out situations in the game that will be to your advantage. It also means that adventuring parties will be less cookie cutter, as the roles are not as clearly defined.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS | Economy
1. What kinds of resources are in the world?

There are two primary types of resources in Crowfall. Those used for personal crafting and those used in conquest. Internally we call them resources and materials. The base unit is actually the same (stone, iron, wood) but there is a conversion process where you can "stack" resources to turn them into materials. This is because it is more efficient (in terms of inventory space) to transport materials en masse - and you might want to carry more. It depends on how you intend to use those materials.

Note that each of these types is a general category. There are a number of different types of stone, just as there are many types of metal and many types of wood. As discussed in our Crafting overview last week, most recipes call for a general category/type of component rather than a specific type (i.e. crafting a bow requires the use of "wood", not "yew" in particular. The type of wood that is used has an effect on the attributes on the resulting "bow" item.)

2. Where do the resources come from?

Resources can be harvested from the environment, and sometimes found on certain monsters. Materials come from particular types of POIs (Points of Interest) called resource factories: Quarries, Lumber Mills, and Mines.

3. What is a Point of Interest?

Our Worlds contain many structures that have strategic and/or economic value. We call these structures "Points of Interest." There are other types of POIs, as well: Strongholds, Temples, Graveyards - these serve different purposes, but all of them fall under the "POI" designation. Some of these POIs are for personal use; others are more strategic and really exist to facilitate (and, in some cases, fuel) the game of territorial conquest.

rrr_img_89173.jpg

4. Are there differences between Resource Factories of the same type?

Yes! First, the proximity and location to other Points of Interest makes a huge difference (obviously). Second, we've also put balance knobs in place to increase (or decrease) the quality, quantity and type of material that each Factory produces. One mine could produce high quality iron, while another produces low quality copper -- but at a much higher rate.

Quarries located in a remote area will typically produce much more materials (and at a greater frequency.) This was designed so that, as the risk of transporting those materials goes up, so does the potential reward.

5. How are resources and materials used?

Resources are the base ingredients for crafting items. Materials are the base ingredients for building and repairing structures. If you stack enough resources to turn them into materials, you can use them for your structures. If you need to break the stack, however, some resources will be lost in the conversion.

For this reason, it's best to convert resources into materials only when you intend to either use them for your structures, or when you have enough of a surplus that you don't mind losing some in the "break down" process.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Yeah that FAQ basically screams "This is what GW2 should have been"

I like that the economy reads sort of like an RTS where you capture nodes that give resources etc.

Also: fuck pve. I read that in there.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
ok, ill explain why it wont work then.

To protect a group of casters using collision, youll need around 3x or more as many players blocking for them which greatly reduces their effectiveness. They cant move around very much, they just stand close together and block. For that to work a caster will need to do a very large amount of damage more than other classes for it to be worthwhile. Other than that, they already strongly suggested there will be flight so youll need even more players. All of that is also just a shitty player experience for those blocking while the ones in the back do the work. It just doesnt play out.
Shadowbane had a decent system where warriors could activate a skill and become clippable. I believe their clip box was larger than their drawn space. So theoretically you could have a 1 meter wide warrior use a skill and exhibit a 3 meter wide clippable area.

As for this game since Big Flex pointed me here, it's looks interesting and I'm all about games geared toward a hardcore PvP community. PRX is still hardcore into ArcheAge atm with 80+ people on every night. When do people think Crowfall will be released?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Shadowbane had a decent system where warriors could activate a skill and become clippable. I believe their clip box was larger than their drawn space. So theoretically you could have a 1 meter wide warrior use a skill and exhibit a 3 meter wide clippable area.

As for this game since Big Flex pointed me here, it's looks interesting and I'm all about games geared toward a hardcore PvP community. PRX is still hardcore into ArcheAge atm with 80+ people on every night. When do people think Crowfall will be released?
We'll have a better idea in 25 days, the current amount of time left on the count down.

Also, more on the physics system..

Players, as well as projectiles will calculate momentum and inertia. [...] The Player will interact with the environment in a system that uses Inverse Kinematics which creates complex looking player movements and posing automatically in real time. Projectiles also use the physics engine for collision. This gives way to the possibility of connecting with an unintended target during ranged combat.
Thus how the dwarf is posed on uneven terrain in the Forgemaster picture.

I'm interpreting "unintended targets" as friendly fire. Cool.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah that FAQ basically screams "This is what GW2 should have been"

I like that the economy reads sort of like an RTS where you capture nodes that give resources etc.

Also: fuck pve. I read that in there.
Seems like the logical next iteration along the shadowbane line of development. Shadowbane had pve but it was mostly for resource harvesting and not a major part of the game and it looks like that is kinda the way they are going here.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Idk Flex, they'd better get it right on the movement if they're going to put that in a pvp game.

Last thing I want is to feel like my character has a 2 second animation delay on movement keypress and feel like he's running through a pit of tar all the time.

There's complaints in various threads around the net about Shroud of the Avatar with it's unity engine and how sluggish the characters react to input.

If I'm skeptical about anything on this game it will be character controls at the forefront.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Just started reading up on this. Lack of ponytails, mozz sticks, fuzzy trolls and prescription drugs worries me.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Idk Flex, they'd better get it right on the movement if they're going to put that in a pvp game.

Last thing I want is to feel like my character has a 2 second animation delay on movement keypress and feel like he's running through a pit of tar all the time.

There's complaints in various threads around the net about Shroud of the Avatar with it's unity engine and how sluggish the characters react to input.

If I'm skeptical about anything on this game it will be character controls at the forefront.
Oh totally man, I agree. Feel is one of those things that can make or break a game. Its one of those reasons darkfall unholy war sucks so much more than darkfall did. This is doubly true in a game with action combat. Short of playing it, there's no way to be sure what to think about this shit.

I think garriot is more concerned with creating a roleplaying experience and comprehensive world than in combat and movement feel, whereas these guys have combat at the forefront.

Idk for sure, because I'm not an apprentice dollar developer like Soygen, but I'd assume this kind of system is fairly easy to tweak in response to testing feedback, I'd rather deal with that than stacking casters via shadowbane, gw2, etc and no clip no collision melee.

We'll see, this could ruin the entire game if not delt with correctly. I'm actually optimistic for once though.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm really curious about the Export Rules. Obviously I assume that it means moving resources and materials to another world - but on the Guild vs Guild world, there's a qualification that affects how much you can export.

The conditions being Win, Kneel, Lose. It makes me feel like you can only take materials after a battle? Or does this have some larger implications on how these worlds will actually work, ie: They won't be totally open world environments but worlds you go to just for a specific battle. Then you return afterwards with your % of loot.

I don't know. Just random speculation.

Also, I'm wondering if the ability telegraphs are for your abilities only, sort of like League of Legends ability indicators.

I'm really curious about the Export Rules. Obviously I assume that it means moving resources and materials to another world - but on the Guild vs Guild world, there's a qualification that affects how much you can export.

The conditions being Win, Kneel, Lose. It makes me feel like you can only take materials after a battle? Or does this have some larger implications on how these worlds will actually work, ie: They won't be totally open world environments but worlds you go to just for a specific battle. Then you return afterwards with your % of loot.

I don't know. Just random speculation.

Also, I'm wondering if the ability telegraphs are for your abilities only, sort of like League of Legends ability indicators.
I think they did this so it gives incentive to retain players on that world. The 3 faction world has lower exports, but have less penalties for deaths, given the 20% chance drop off your equipped items. I think the idea is that different worlds have different risk and would fit people's play style.

Not being able to bring items to the "Shadow world" essentially is an analogy to "seasons" in diablo 3. You start their and build up your character and you have higher export bonuses if you win should you decide to go somewhere else.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
it also didnt work very well and was never actually used in any manner.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
it also didnt work very well and was never actually used in any manner.
Stacks were popular for a period, which used it to create barriers that ranged DPS could shoot over, but enemy DPS couldn't.

We also used warriors to block passageways we'd create in our cities. One time we even had a line of them create an ad-hoc barrier for a door we broke down that enabled us to take a TOL.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played a lot of SB and if I remember right the skill was actually bugged and didnt work. I cant even remmeber the name of the skill so im not going to argue over it but im pretty sure it worked so well that it was removed from the game.