Current television show recommendations

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
have you watched mindhunter on netflix?
My ex watched it and I caught some episodes here and there through the series. I enjoyed the episodes I caught. Probably worth a rewatch of the whole series, thanks for the reminder.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Necro bump.

I need a new show to watch. I finally watched True Detective season 1 the other day (I know, I know...) and it's got me kinda hooked on cop shows. Watched The Wire and We Own this City after. Thing is -- I don't really like typical procedural cop dramas, Law & Order and etc is very meh to me. I enjoyed True Crime for the amazing writing and philosophy it had. The Wire / We Own This City were more about corruption than being directly about police work, which was enjoyable for me. But as long as there's a little twist I enjoy it.

OR maybe recommendations for crime shows like Breaking Bad or espionage shows like The Americans, but again, I like it to at least have a little twist or be auteur style stuff or whatever.

Echo 3 if you like realistic military special forces stuff.

But Animosity Animosity already gave the best answers you'll get

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Echo 3 if you like realistic military special forces stuff.

But Animosity Animosity already gave the best answers you'll get
Maybe, but I can always use more recommendations tho. Still on disability (seems a lot of my post-chemo side effects are going to be permanent, still struggling a LOT with fatigue three years later) so I've got a lot of free time on my hands. I binged all 5 seasons of The Wire in about 6-7 days lol.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Maybe, but I can always use more recommendations tho. Still on disability (seems a lot of my post-chemo side effects are going to be permanent, still struggling a LOT with fatigue three years later) so I've got a lot of free time on my hands. I binged all 5 seasons of The Wire in about 6-7 days lol.
Spy:
  • (SciFi) Counterpart - 2 seasons - It was good while it lasted. The Stars network corpo fuckwits canceled it because they wanted to tailor their programing to "premium women" (Outlander audience). I still think it's worth a watch, even if it's cut short.
  • Homeland - First season is great, but like all Showtime shows, gets worse and worse, till it's eventualy run into the ground. I would stop after the first or second season.
  • Sleeper Cell - First season is great, ignore the second season, as it is a mostly separate, much worse story.

Detective/Crime:
  • Fargo - 4 seasons - Seasons 1 & 2 were great. I think season 3 was pretty good, but it's been a while since I watched it. They took a long break, and I never watched season 4.
  • Gomorrah - Italian organized crime show
  • Boardwalk Empire - prohibition era organized crime - almost as good as the Sopranos
  • The Night Of - mystery/crime - hard to say much about it w/o spoilers
A bunch of shows on HBO before 2015, or so, are good, if there is anything you haven't seen (Deadwood, Rome, Generation Kill, Carnivàle, Big Love, Luck, Entourage, Silicon Valley, Six Feet Under).

Also, not really related to anything else, but Black Sails is a good age of sail action type show with a good story (Treasure Island).

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Spy:
  • (SciFi) Counterpart - 2 seasons - It was good while it lasted. The Stars network corpo fuckwits canceled it because they wanted to tailor their programing to "premium women" (Outlander audience). I still think it's worth a watch, even if it's cut short.
  • Homeland - First season is great, but like all Showtime shows, gets worse and worse, till it's eventualy run into the ground. I would stop after the first or second season.
  • Sleeper Cell - First season is great, ignore the second season, as it is a mostly separate, much worse story.

Detective/Crime:
  • Fargo - 4 seasons - Seasons 1 & 2 were great. I think season 3 was pretty good, but it's been a while since I watched it. They took a long break, and I never watched season 4.
  • Gomorrah - Italian organized crime show
  • Boardwalk Empire - prohibition era organized crime - almost as good as the Sopranos
  • The Night Of - mystery/crime - hard to say much about it w/o spoilers
A bunch of shows on HBO before 2015, or so, are good, if there is anything you haven't seen (Deadwood, Rome, Generation Kill, Carnivàle, Big Love, Luck, Entourage, Silicon Valley, Six Feet Under).

Also, not really related to anything else, but Black Sails is a good age of sail action type show with a good story (Treasure Island).

Counterpart is good.

Fargo 1-2 were great, s3 was ok, s4 was trash.

Gomorrah is legit a top 3 series of all time contender.

Boardwalk Empire was great, but strangely forgotten about.

The Night Of was alright. Every year it seems HBO come out with a 1 season only murder mystery type show.

Entourage lol, just earlier saw Ari and E on a tiktok podcast talking about how they couldn't make Entourage today with Ari Gold exactly the same. I fucking hated E, literally the biggest simp on TV lol

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah Counterpart was great. Black Sails was too. I have actually mostly been working though HBO shows I haven't seen, I think I'll try some stuff from that lostm

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Fantasy / sci-fi show recommendations would be cool too, but I am extremely picky there even tho they're my favorite genres. Seen most of the "big" ones already.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah Counterpart was great. Black Sails was too. I have actually mostly been working though HBO shows I haven't seen, I think I'll try some stuff from that lostm
not just hbo but

some networks have gems like cinemax has banshee and fx has the shield

where you can watch the whole series and it doesn't suck halfway, but you can finish and it'll be good, unlike ALOT of other tv where only s1 is good and you slog through the other seasons for 1 good eps

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Two shows with a twist on the procedural format.
You won't find many network tv shows in the recommended lists since cable has more freedom, but these do it differently.

1.) Person of Interest
Person of Interest (TV Series 2011–2016) - IMDb

2.) Fringe
Fringe (TV Series 2008–2013) - IMDb

+1 recommend for The Shield as well.
The Shield (TV Series 2002–2008) - IMDb

Don't be put off that it was on air back in 2002-2008, it got a blu-ray remaster in 2018 and looks great.
It's also a show that sticks the landing after 7 seasons.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
You could check out Murders in the Building on Hulu. It's kind of a who done it comedy.

If you like zombie stuff, All of Us Are Dead on Netflix is awesome.

If you like spy things, I loved "The Recruit" on Netflix.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Started watching Banshee. Not sure why I waited til now, I knew I would enjoy it. Anthony Starr is great.

Two shows with a twist on the procedural format.
You won't find many network tv shows in the recommended lists since cable has more freedom, but these do it differently.

1.) Person of Interest
Person of Interest (TV Series 2011–2016) - IMDb

2.) Fringe
Fringe (TV Series 2008–2013) - IMDb

+1 recommend for The Shield as well.
The Shield (TV Series 2002–2008) - IMDb

Don't be put off that it was on air back in 2002-2008, it got a blu-ray remaster in 2018 and looks great.
It's also a show that sticks the landing after 7 seasons.
Fringe was simultaneously awesome and seriously frustrating to watch lol. The later seasons were so much better than the first couple, glad I slogged through.

Might check out The Shield. Used to hate cop dramas but they've been growing on me.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Started watching Banshee. Not sure why I waited til now, I knew I would enjoy it. Anthony Starr is great.

Fringe was simultaneously awesome and seriously frustrating to watch lol. The later seasons were so much better than the first couple, glad I slogged through.

Might check out The Shield. Used to hate cop dramas but they've been growing on me.
If you like Anthony Starr then you have to watch The Boys on Prime
This man deserves all the Emmys

MV5BMDI2ZmQ2N2EtZTMwMC00YWVmLWEyMTMtNTZiMGEyNzNhMWM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXZ3ZXNsZXk@._V1_.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

This show is great if anyone is looking for a new comedy to watch. Starting Ron Livingston in prime sarcastic asshole mode, as a former famous rock music journalist who got sober and now leads an AA group. Made by Peter Farrelley.

• 1Like