Curse of the Dead Gods

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is out of early access. Only played for a bit today but it was fun. Has a bunch of stuff from other games mixed into it. Map path like Slay the Spire. 3/4 action view like Hades (not as frantic as Hades). Some graphic similarities and penalty mechanics like Darkest Dungeon. Random weapons and drops.

I dig it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Beat the first three tier 1 bosses last night, did the daily challenge which was pretty cool. You had no UI so no idea how much curse, how much life, how much to heal yourself for. It was one of those nights I kept going “hmm one more run, one more run” and stayed up too late. I really like that a run is under 15 minutes. I also just noticed the extra unlocks last night..,wasn’t paying attention to that stuff. Looking forward to playing again and seeing some named weapons pop up in my runs now.

People need to try this, it’s good.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Beat the first three tier 1 bosses last night, did the daily challenge which was pretty cool. You had no UI so no idea how much curse, how much life, how much to heal yourself for. It was one of those nights I kept going “hmm one more run, one more run” and stayed up too late. I really like that a run is under 15 minutes. I also just noticed the extra unlocks last night..,wasn’t paying attention to that stuff. Looking forward to playing again and seeing some named weapons pop up in my runs now.

People need to try this, it’s good.
Is this worth $17? Looks interesting, but a lot of these types of games I tend to wait for half-off sales as it typically only takes a year or so before places like Epic just give them away.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is this worth $17? Looks interesting, but a lot of these types of games I tend to wait for half-off sales as it typically only takes a year or so before places like Epic just give them away.
I think it is. It’s hard to judge other people’s value on games though. It’s solid, has some good replay value due to all the passives and weapon options. Graphics, art, atmosphere are all great. I’ve put in a couple 2-3 hour sessions already and the time flies when I’m doing it. For me that’s a sign it’s pretty good.

If it was $40 I’d probably say wait for a sale but $17 feels like a good price point to me. I’ve paid a lot more money for less quality than this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think it is. It’s hard to judge other people’s value on games though. It’s solid, has some good replay value due to all the passives and weapon options. Graphics, art, atmosphere are all great. I’ve put in a couple 2-3 hour sessions already and the time flies when I’m doing it. For me that’s a sign it’s pretty good.

If it was $40 I’d probably say wait for a sale but $17 feels like a good price point to me. I’ve paid a lot more money for less quality than this.
Refunded this today. Played about 70 minutes. It's not a bad game, but it just seemed to be a more "action" oriented Slay the Spire. I couldn't help but feel like I'd rather just be playing Slay the Spire.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Refunded this today. Played about 70 minutes. It's not a bad game, but it just seemed to be a more "action" oriented Slay the Spire. I couldn't help but feel like I'd rather just be playing Slay the Spire.
Odd to hear that reason. The only thing that feels like STS to me is the map branching. I almost left it out of my original description because I didn’t want people to think it was a similar game cause they feel so different to me. I’d almost compare it to dark souls over STS, trying to learn all the enemy patterns/timing and dealing with them all at once.

After thinking about it, of all the games ive played it’s probably best described as a more difficult Bastion with rogue lite elements mixed in.

Anyway, sorry to hear you didn’t like it, steam refund is a blessing though. I’ve refunded many decent games over the years cause they didn’t hook me hard enough.

Last edited:

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I picked this up on PS5 since it’s on sale for $10 right now. The first 30 min-hour didn’t hook me. But once I got through the first intro levels and got to where the were multiple bosses per run, I started really enjoying it.

I’m looking forward to putting some more time in and finding fun combos.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
It's like a far slower, less fleshed out Hades that is also much easier and without all the bells and whistles.

With that said it's not bad it's just boring comparatively.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
It plays quite similar, however, I did not get far into it.

It's like a far slower, less fleshed out Hades that is also much easier and without all the bells and whistles.

With that said it's not bad it's just boring comparatively.

Oooookay so that's gonna be on the wishlist on Nintendo Store waiting for a nice 50% or 75% off sale. Thanks folks!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Oooookay so that's gonna be on the wishlist on Nintendo Store waiting for a nice 50% or 75% off sale. Thanks folks!

If you have the xbox live membership or whatever for PC, it's on there right now. It was 1 dollar for 3 months.

• 1Like

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, it’s hard for me to get really into this because I played the shit out of Hades and this is a pale comparison. It’s by no means bad. At the $10 price point, it’s spot on for me. If you’re really into these types of games, $20 is probably a good price as well. As was already said, it’s a fair bit shallower and lower overall production value compared to Hades.

I think if they had fleshed out a story, this could have been a stronger game. Then again, if that made the story take itself too seriously or were too whacky, I could see it just as easily hurting the overall experience.

In any case, it plays a lot like Hades but has fewer equipment variables and a Slay the Spire style interface between maps.

• 1Like

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I’m simultaneously pretty invested and losing interest fast. I’m on the final exploration (though I think there’s a hard mode?). There are some fun and interesting combos but now that I’ve got 15-20 hours under my belt I’m realizing that it’s much more important to manage your stamina, master dodge/parry, and play strategically than to overly focus on the variables of any given run.

In general, bows make for some pretty smooth runs. With modestly decent relics (crit damage, heal % of crit dmg) you can make it pretty deep - again, so long as you manage stamina and can dodge/parry consistently.

I’m a fan of heavy weapons, but for faster enemies and boss moves that can’t be interrupted, they leave you pretty exposed. I really like the Jaguar hammer and the cursed weapon from the first serpent boss (a staff with charged attack that shoots waves dark orbs over a ~90 degree arc).

I stand by my assertion that this game would’ve been so much more compelling with a solid narrative. You get some lore in the beastiary but ain’t nobody got time for that. If this had released pre-Hades I’d probably have enjoyed it a lot more.

• 1Like