Cyberpunk 2077

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Having a buggy release can kill a game more than delays ever could.

Having said that, not sure 3 weeks can take something from buggy mess to polished masterpiece unless there's just 1 game breaking glitch or something

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I doubt this delay is about any kind of bugfixing or general QA. Probably has everything to do with last minute console optimizations for ps5/xbox cause it wasn't running to spec and they caught shade from sony/ms over it.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Well.. it sucks ass it's delayed again.. but much respect to them for doing this instead of rushing and maybe releasing a bugged riddled crashing pos on day one, like say the recent Marvel Avengers game.

if you look beyond all the PR bullshit, you can clearly see that they are panicing. Game is not finished. They can talk all they want that it is but no one in their right mind is gonna bug test something for 6 months (the initial delay), then announce that they are going in crunch (well sorta) and then delay it again for 3 weeks just before the launch. They are in a desperation mode to get it out before the holidays because it's obvious that the game is not in a state to be shipped. There must be something seriously wrong with it. Most likely on a performance side of thing. It might run like absolute dog shit

• 1Picard
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Having said that, not sure 3 weeks can take something from buggy mess to polished masterpiece unless there's just 1 game breaking glitch or something
Definitely killed Days Gone. While it wasn’t ever a GoTY contender, it was quite a bit better than the initial reviews once the bugs were fixed.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Delays are one thing. Saying for over a month that it's definitely positively no doubt coming this time (after several delays already) and you can set your vacations to it, and then delaying it again the very next day, is a sign of there being something seriously wrong.

If anything it shows how bullshit the console certification process is.

Personally I do not think this has anything to do with game quality for the PS4, PS Pro, PC, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, but more with the backwards compatibility bug testing which arose for the Xbox Series X and PS5. With that said, they battle more configuration options with a PC. Flip of a coin but I am guessing they aren't far off in making sure it works for the upcoming consoles and might have something to do with the engine they used. Ala: Dark Souls 2 when it ran at 60 FPS and weapon durability tanked because of the higher frame rate and the entire mechanic of the game was built around 30 FPS, just in a different fashion here.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
turns out the pc version runs great and the game runs great (albeit without RTX) on ps5/xsex, the delay is solely due to game issues on ps4/xbox and needing more time to optimize those versions. said in an investor cc by CDPR ceo yesterday

it also sounds like there will NOT be a PS5/XSEX optimized version at launch, that will still be a future (free) 2021 patch

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
If anything it shows how bullshit the console certification process is.
I’d take a console certification process that proves the game will actually run compared to the PC releases where the threads are full of “why does it run like shit on my $2k gaming PC?” Just compare HZD ps4 release to PC release.

But realistically I don’t think any certification process prevents you from releasing buggy shit. Console certification seems more like “does it run in a way that can reasonably be considered playable?”

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I’d take a console certification process that proves the game will actually run compared to the PC releases where the threads are full of “why does it run like shit on my $2k gaming PC?” Just compare HZD ps4 release to PC release.

But realistically I don’t think any certification process prevents you from releasing buggy shit. Console certification seems more like “does it run in a way that can reasonably be considered playable?”

Console certification is:

1) Does it boot
2) Can you play from start to finish (With or without bugs that may be game breaking)
3) Do the control buttons work as advertised.

That's literally, it.

There are always going to be some cross launch problems, especially since HZD was the very first (To my knowledge) PS4 exclusive ever ported. Death Stranding didn't have any issues.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I doubt this delay is about any kind of bugfixing or general QA. Probably has everything to do with last minute console optimizations for ps5/xbox cause it wasn't running to spec and they caught shade from sony/ms over it.
The submission likely would have been a failure in this case.

cyberpunct3.png

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Console certification is:

1) Does it boot
2) Can you play from start to finish (With or without bugs that may be game breaking)
3) Do the control buttons work as advertised.

That's literally, it.

There are always going to be some cross launch problems, especially since HZD was the very first (To my knowledge) PS4 exclusive ever ported. Death Stranding didn't have any issues.
No, the game cannot crash even if you have an antagonistic user who is intentionally fucking with shit.

The guy who made Braid, while a total douche, is a really interesting lecturer (and I also loved playing Braid). He discussed how faggoty that whole process is. Like your game can't crash even if someone is like jamming the controller in different ports (how aged that is rofl) smashing buttons at random, unplugging the input to the TV, smashing on the Xbox, playing it upside down and so on.

• 1Worf

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
No, the game cannot crash even if you have an antagonistic user who is intentionally fucking with shit.

The guy who made Braid, while a total douche, is a really interesting lecturer (and I also loved playing Braid). He discussed how faggoty that whole process is. Like your game can't crash even if someone is like jamming the controller in different ports (how aged that is rofl) smashing buttons at random, unplugging the input to the TV, smashing on the Xbox, playing it upside down and so on.

Things have changed since online patching has taken over. You are taking an example from what a guy said about his certification process with Microsoft 12 years ago.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I don’t know. I’ve seen patches a week or two after a release fix a ton of bugs. Three weeks of the entire team on OT could get a lot of work done if it’s dedicated to bug smashing only. On top of the last few weeks since the game went gold they’ve been dedicated to it already.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

There is also a discrepancy in how aggressively they test major franchise games vs stuff from smaller studios, or there was.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I don't buy that. Far too many consoles crash after release for that to be a stopping point for release. Occasional crashes during cert are probably OK, constant repeatable crashes are probably not.

• 1Like

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Well they probably did 40% of their total sales in pre-orders and they are already spending that money. If the game does not do amazing they might have hard time I mean studio like that and Larian are bulking up quite a lot lately. (I know cause I have been in the industry for 20 years now) Also I think they were looking for a window with no major release.

Theses studios are already spending the money they got from pre-sale which represent a pretty huge part of the profit they might do. Getting a better game out will mean the game will have better legs on the long run. Also I'm willing to bet that cyberpunk was way more expensive to make than the Witcher 3.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well they probably did 40% of their total sales in pre-orders and they are already spending that money. If the game does not do amazing they might have hard time I mean studio like that and Larian are bulking up quite a lot lately. (I know cause I have been in the industry for 20 years now) Also I think they were looking for a window with no major release.

Theses studios are already spending the money they got from pre-sale which represent a pretty huge part of the profit they might do. Getting a better game out will mean the game will have better legs on the long run. Also I'm willing to bet that cyberpunk was way more expensive to make than the Witcher 3.
What money? Sony is about the only place that actually charges your credit card as soon as you place a pre-order rather than waiting for release day. And even in that case, I'm pretty sure Sony holds the money and doesn't actually pay it out until after release (since you technically can get a refund up until you start downloading the game).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't buy that. Far too many consoles crash after release for that to be a stopping point for release. Occasional crashes during cert are probably OK, constant repeatable crashes are probably not.
It's possible that they've relaxed the crashing TCR, but once upon a time yes any crash during submission was grounds for failure. If your QA team couldn't reproduce the crash with the info provided by the submission testers, you just resubmitted and hoped the crash didn't happen again.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
What money? Sony is about the only place that actually charges your credit card as soon as you place a pre-order rather than waiting for release day. And even in that case, I'm pretty sure Sony holds the money and doesn't actually pay it out until after release (since you technically can get a refund up until you start downloading the game).
I usually don't preorder. I have the feeling when I used to do it on steam or online for PC that I had to pay it right away. (I know physical copy you can put a small deposit)

Sorry if I was wrong.

• 1Like