Cyberpunk 2077

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Ahh, video games are an extremely poor medium for telling a story. Got it, carry on.

No, for telling a narrative. They are great at telling other kinds of stories in other ways. That you think all stories are narratives isn't helping your case.

• 4Picard
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t even know how to respond to that. Many of the off the path secondary side stories alone were more interesting stories than some entire games have. Weird monsters haunting people, succubus screwing men to death, weddings gone awry, missing loved ones, local thief den squabbles, negotiating blacksmith material prices, trying to get high priced Gwent cards...it was just all over the map and made it feel like a living world, even though it was just filled with meandering NPCs.

I agree the gameplay, combat, etc were nothing revolutionary, they were just sufficient, but the stories and quests were fantastic. Hell even Gwent alone was better than many games I’ve played lol

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I've tried multiple times to get into all 3 Witcher games and never lasted more than 1 hour due to the combat mechanics. I always just end up flailing around like a drunken retard. I don't know what it is. I've read the books and love them, but the mechanics just kill it for me. :( This is the only reason why I have not ordered Cyberpunk. Well, that and my potato computer being too shit to run it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the combat mechanics in the first 2 witchers is... really pretty terrible. they were good ideas but had TERRIBLE implementation. witcher 3 was significantly better in that department but it still wasn't that great. i can absolutely understand someone not being able to get into the games because of the gameplay itself. story, dialogue and voice acting though? just amazingly done

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Combat in Witcher 3 was fine to me. Just fucking dodge on time and use quick attacks 90% of the time.

I even learned to fight using heavy attacks. Igni plus heavy attack upgrade rapes. Plus its so satisfying gutting monsters and cutting shit in half. Hitting a sweet midsection strike and watching a pair of legs walking a couple steps after the torso falls away is sick.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Combat in Witcher 3 was fine to me. Just fucking dodge on time and use quick attacks 90% of the time.

I even learned to fight using heavy attacks. Igni plus heavy attack upgrade rapes.
I think that's the criticism; it was "fine." It's obviously much better than the others in the series, but it's really nothing to brag about. It gets the job done but for the most part it's not something you look forward to

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Yes, I am going to be that guy.

Despite the knob polishing that the W3 gets by what seems like everyone, if you enjoy actual games it is mediocre at best. I tried 3 separate times (over at least a year apart) to finish it and failed out of sheer boredom. Between the incredibly long-winded NPCs and the boring running around, there is little gameplay and few meaningful game systems. By the time I finished the first area, and the one good storyline, I found myself skipping all of the dialogue which made it even more apparent how empty the game really is.

If your idea of a good time is holding a controller while watching a TV show badly in need of some serious editing, you might like it. If, however, you like unique and engaging gameplay there is a good chance you will fail to understand what everyone loves about the game as much as I do.

Pretty sure this guy is French, so faggotry is in his blood.

Izo

Tranny Chaser

I even learned to fight using heavy attacks. Igni plus heavy attack upgrade rapes. Plus its so satisfying gutting monsters and cutting shit in half. Hitting a sweet midsection strike and watching a pair of legs walking a couple steps after the torso falls away is sick.

aVwgZQM_700b.jpg

Playing B&W atm ps4pro. Controllers, god damnit. CP2077 better not suck like this :D

• 2Worf

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Yes, I am going to be that guy.

Despite the knob polishing that the W3 gets by what seems like everyone, if you enjoy actual games it is mediocre at best. I tried 3 separate times (over at least a year apart) to finish it and failed out of sheer boredom. Between the incredibly long-winded NPCs and the boring running around, there is little gameplay and few meaningful game systems. By the time I finished the first area, and the one good storyline, I found myself skipping all of the dialogue which made it even more apparent how empty the game really is.

If your idea of a good time is holding a controller while watching a TV show badly in need of some serious editing, you might like it. If, however, you like unique and engaging gameplay there is a good chance you will fail to understand what everyone loves about the game as much as I do.

skips dialogue

complains game is empty

filed under "poster too stupid to enjoy game"

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Denaut

Trump's Staff
skips dialogue

complains game is empty

filed under "poster too stupid to enjoy game"

Yes, I started skipping the long, tedious, mediocre (at best) dialogue because I like to play games and not just watch them. Of course, since there is almost nothing to play, that quickly became boring as well.

But I must be the stupid one for wanting gameplay in my game

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Moron
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 3 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yes, I started skipping the long, tedious, mediocre (at best) dialogue because I like to play games and not just watch them. Of course, since there is almost nothing to play, that quickly became boring as well.

Keep at it, sport. You've almost convinced all the people.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

I didn't particularly enjoy the POE and D:OS series, but I'm not going to call them bad games when most people enjoyed them. I'm pretty ok with it boiling down to my own tastes and preferences, and not trying to argue that they're bad games.

But to dislike a game and then say something like "If you enjoy actual games...", as if it doesn't even qualify as a game...man, I just don't know what to tell you.

Clearly everyone else is wrong and you're right. Frequent and tedious text makes a game...not a game. OK then.

You sound like some sort of FPS player who was never going to like an RPG game in the first place.

• 2Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I didn't particularly enjoy the POE and D:OS series, but I'm not going to call them bad games when most people enjoyed them. I'm pretty ok with it boiling down to my own tastes and preferences, and not trying to argue that they're bad games.

But to dislike a game and then say something like "If you enjoy actual games...", as if it doesn't even qualify as a game...man, I just don't know what to tell you.

Clearly everyone else is wrong and you're right. Frequent and tedious text makes a game...not a game. OK then.

You sound like some sort of FPS player who was never going to like an RPG game in the first place.

I didn't particularly enjoy those two either, but they were still fundamentally centered around actual game mechanics (Tactical RPG mechanics). PoE was the weaker of the two I would say, which is why PoE2 sold so poorly. W3 has way more cut-scenes, much more running around, and far fewer meaningful mechanics (RPG, combat, and otherwise).

As for me, I not only like RPGs but I've been a designer on several. Generally though the genre has failed to evolve, these days the best RPGs are generally classified as tactics or strategy games.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why are you even posting in this thread then?

This is not a game for you.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users