D DAY Through German Eyes - The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Edelweiss-Conscience-Soldier-Waffen-SS/dp/0966638980

Black Edelweiss is written by a former SS member who fought on the Eastern Front - more specifically, in the snowy forests around Leningrad. An interesting read for the fact the author claims he had no idea that the jews were being persecuted. He makes the claim that he joined the SS to be the best of the best. They were the shock troops of the Third Reich. He even compares them to the U.S. marines. The author does not backpedal one inch in this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Eyewitness-H...1507559754&sr=1-1&keywords=eyewitness+to+hell

Eyewitness to Hell is also written by a former SS member who was on the Eastern Front. Except he was a journalist who was assigned to a combat unit. Some very interesting stuff in this book. More specifically, there are entire portions where the author is attending festivals and feasting with Caucasian tribesmen in an attempt to win their loyalties to the German Reich. The author makes several apologies for SS actions in Russia.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok I cannot thank you Enough Blazin Blazin for the recommendation here. So, I want to repay the favor a bit and add some visuals - because the story with Henrik Naube was amazing, and I was just at Omaha Beach in August (Trip of a lifetime) so I wanted to share some of the pics I took.

First here is a pic of Omaha Beach as it is today.

20140026_10212218848719723_2879101943326466055_n.jpg

Where Henrik was talking about the 3 88's that were shelling the troop transports, I remembered this picture I took of one of the 88 placements - still in tact without the actual 88 itself obviously. Which is how next to a restaurant. This particular placement had a plaque dedicated to an engineering group that took this out as of D Day + 44 mins.

This is one of the larger bunker systems still in fact - although heavily damaged.

20156017_10212218849639746_5638636687107522681_n.jpg

20245611_10212218850119758_3292478180924769127_n.jpg

More pics to come. At work so need to get back to it. But I'll post more later if you are interested. But behind this wall was one of the ammo closet areas Henrik was talking about. I wonder if this was his bunker. Doubtful, but kinda cool to think about.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Thank you for pics, would love to go there myself someday. I’m glad you enjoyed book I read the first one straight through and then did so again with second.

They did leave me feeling somber just thinking of the humanity of it all. Couldn’t help but feel much of the death comes across as the US postering to the Soviet Union .

Also I would like to do some more research on the Russians defectors being handed over after the battle. I don’t recall if that was book 1 or 2

• 1Solidarity

Sulrn

Deuces
Utnayan Utnayan may need to get with you at some point in PMs about how August worked for you.

Was supposed to do Bletchley Park -> Normandy -> Brussels -> Bastogne -> St. Vith -> Berlin -> Berchtesgaden -> Freedom Trail -> Barcelona this past summer, but the DoD kind of crushed my schedule. Luckily I didn't book anything so I'll just shift right to next year.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Utnayan Utnayan may need to get with you at some point in PMs about how August worked for you.

Was supposed to do Bletchley Park -> Normandy -> Brussels -> Bastogne -> St. Vith -> Berlin -> Berchtesgaden -> Freedom Trail -> Barcelona this past summer, but the DoD kind of crushed my schedule. Luckily I didn't book anything so I'll just shift right to next year.

For sure. I have lots of tips. And how to save Cash and spot bad deals. Bertchesgadan was awesome. :)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Just bought part 2 of this series. First one was awesome. Reading the 2nd part now.

Good stuff! It's amazing they talk about not expecting Amphibious tanks, and how they were amazed at incidenery satches that would basically set everything on fire - up to and including the tanks that shot fire. :)

• 1Like