Da 5 Bloods (2020)

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
0.40 star(s) Rating: 0.40/5 5 Votes
Title: Da 5 Bloods (2020)

Tagline: A War Never Ends

Genre: War, Drama

Director: Spike Lee

Cast: Delroy Lindo, Jonathan Majors, Clarke Peters, Norm Lewis, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Mélanie Thierry, Paul Walter Hauser, Jasper Pääkkönen, Johnny Trí Nguyễn, Lê Y Lan, Nguyen Ngoc Lâm, Sandy Huong Pham, Jean Reno, Chadwick Boseman, Van Veronica Ngo, Nguyen Anh Tuan, Duc Luong, Quoc Tuan, Tran Minh Thuong, Hoang Sang, Thanh Van, Nguyen Bao Ngoc, Linh Huynh, Le Cuong, Nhu Thuc, Hung Cuong, Thuy Hong, Nhu Le, Ngoc Anh, Hawk Newsome, Adrienne J. Stowers, Tirina Simons, Kenda Roberts, Pernell Edward, Hanh Phuc, Chu Xuan Ai, Jordan Morgan, Alex Winters, Anton Patrynika, Casey Clark, Andrey Kasushkin, Suradet Dongthaisong, Nhut Linh, Phuc Pham Hoang, Quoc Toan, Xuan Thanh, Truc Linh, Nguyen Kim Dung, Nguyen Vu Truc Nhu, Taweesak Baoseehah, Surawan Satchukorn, Pichaiyut Jongjai, Chaiyos Chaiyosburana, Laersak Phusomjai, Amanda Nguyen, Devin Rumer, Rick Shuster, Alexander Winters, Mav Kang

Release: 2020-06-12

Runtime: 156

Plot: Four African-American Vietnam veterans return to Vietnam. They are in search of the remains of their fallen squad leader and the promise of buried treasure. These heroes battle forces of humanity and nature while confronted by the lasting ravages of the immorality of the Vietnam War.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I went into it thinking, hmm it has 3 things going for it.

1. Free on Netflix, with a 92% RT rating.
2. Interesting premise, with a platoon of Nam Vets returning to recover hidden treasure.
3. A big named director with a fat-Netflix budget.

This movie is fucking awful. My movie watching has been cut back in the past couple years, but only recent films that visually and mentally offended me as much as this have to be the last two Star Wars movies.

This movie is racist as fuck. But, it is made by a black director and stars black actors, so it's suppose to be "important", "powerful", and "celebrated"? I am just going to say, I'm confused... and leave it at that.

Delroy Lindo, hijacks the movie as an insane PTS'd war vet that hates everyone and everything (except Trump). Yes, they take every opportunity they can to pull you out of the story and back into the real world with political messages and geopolitical-ism. It is like Delroy is acting in a different movie than everyone else. All the other actors thought they were making Buddy-Adventure movie and Delroy thought he was making Apocalypse Now. The entire thing is over-acted like a SNL sketch, but sadly they aren't in on the joke. This shit is amateur-hour and embarrassing.

They do these horrible flash back sequences where Chadwick Boseman plays a 21'ish year old squad leader, but they use the 60+ year old actors in the same flashback scenes with him. They are cringe as fuck. Then they splash in some other flashback scenes with a narrator over the top like it is some documentary, but it isn't a documentary. It's a fiction-drama. The whole thing is totally uneven and will make you mentally nauseous like riding a herky-jerky roller coaster.

There are war sequences. The movie is quite violent. Again, it almost feels like a joke because you have these geriatric war vets hobbling around one minute, then going all Rambo and blowing people away the next.

The movie is bad. Avoid it at all costs.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
All I have to say is...
1592347207858.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Literally one of the worse movies I've ever seen. I couldn't even finish it. Lindos performance was utterly horrible. And its a shame because he is a quality bit actor, but trying to put him in such a prominent role in a serverly misguided narrative and plot was a disaster.

He was quoted saying " That's why I went to acting school, for a role like this". Fuck off.

And yea having Boseman alongside 4 geriatric black dudes is so jarring it takes you out of the realm of believability. They could of at least had them dye the fucking grey out of their hair and beards. Its like Lee wasn't even trying. Its pathetic.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database