Dark Souls 2

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It does if you spend a while reading the wikis and shit! And every item description. And making some small leaps in reasoning. And making some shit up to fit.

Darph_sl

shitlord
1.) Do any of you use a ps4 controller on PC?
2.) What's a good way to get sunbros maxed? I need Sunlight Spear and I think I'm near 10million Soul Memory..
biggrin.png

3.) Should I just start NG? I've +5'd and +10'd all of my gear and done almost everything there is to do.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Just drop your sign in front of the tough bosses. Smelter Demon is a really good choice because people have a hard time with him and will, almost always, summon to make the fight easier.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just drop your sign in front of the tough bosses. Smelter Demon is a really good choice because people have a hard time with him and will, almost always, summon to make the fight easier.
at 10m SM I think not even sunbros will help him get summoned in a NG...

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I've been going through the DLC area of Dark Souls and good lord is it tough to the point of absurdity. I saved the area for last (the only thing I have left to do in the main game is fight Lord Gwyn) so I'm "level appropriate." There are 3 bosses and all 3 are stupidly aggressive and stupidly unforgiving. For every 10 boss attacks you might get in 1 of your own attacks.

Playing through Dark Souls again (makes my 3rd time but the first with the DLC), all of the shine really has worn off. I think Dark Souls 2 was a bit on the easy side but some of the crap in Dark Souls has lost its charm long ago. I still maintain that Demons Souls was the best designed. The difficulty was very organic. Every death I was able to look back on and see exactly where I went wrong. That's simply not true in Dark Souls. There's simply too many "Fuck You" areas and some of the bosses are, quite simply, dumb.

OK... Ranting over. Just had to get it off my chest. I'm hoping to beat Manus tomorrow but I need to clear my head after slamming my dick in a drawer all evening.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Besides Kalameet (the dragon) the other DLC bosses are very much of the "if you screwed up you should be able to figure out why in a few fights" type of goodness from the game as a whole.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Manus is, easily, the most frustrating boss I've fought in a Souls game. I can reliably get him down to the 60% mark when he starts to use Dark Magic and then I die. I've learned how to dodge every single attack except the Dark Volley. As soon as he uses that, I'm fucked. The Pendant is worthless because the volley attack is too fast to block it for me.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's been a while but iirc correctly you can just dps race him with a 2h chaos blade and wearing whatever heaviest armor you have is, havels etc.

Vaclav

Manus is, easily, the most frustrating boss I've fought in a Souls game. I can reliably get him down to the 60% mark when he starts to use Dark Magic and then I die. I've learned how to dodge every single attack except the Dark Volley. As soon as he uses that, I'm fucked. The Pendant is worthless because the volley attack is too fast to block it for me.
Volley was a roll towards to avoid I thought? (and then a quick roll back because he's going to smack you otherwise quickly before you recover)

I didn't race him at all because I just pinged him to death with Soul Arrow.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Playing through Dark Souls again (makes my 3rd time but the first with the DLC), all of the shine really has worn off. I think Dark Souls 2 was a bit on the easy side but some of the crap in Dark Souls has lost its charm long ago. I still maintain that Demons Souls was the best designed. The difficulty was very organic. Every death I was able to look back on and see exactly where I went wrong. That's simply not true in Dark Souls. There's simply too many "Fuck You" areas and some of the bosses are, quite simply, dumb.
That's how I felt, too. DS1 is filled with too many intentional bullshit deaths. Once you know about them, the game is actually pretty easy (people complete it naked in a few hours) but the first playthrough was so boring and annoying that I never even bothered to do most of the stuff after the Lordvessel. I'd had my fill of unavoidable, unpredictable instant deaths that you have no possible way of doing anything about until you've had it happen to you and then you can just avoid it next time. I think the second playthrough is probably the best, especially if you didn't quite explore everything the first time around, because the game will still be mechanically difficult but you won't have to spend 50% of your time doing corpse run after corpse run from nonsensical, unreasonable shit that you can't do anything about when you don't know it's coming.

There's room for some of that, being a Souls game and all, but DS1 way overdid it and it made the first playthrough boring because of how long it often takes to get back to where you were. Of course, saying so makes you a target of that special brand of pretentious "git gud nub" Dark Souls fanboys who just thrive on opportunities to tell people they're bad at gaming if they don't think DS1 is the epitome of perfection in every conceivable way. The combat difficulty is the game's strength, and I think they kept most of that in DS2, but in DS1 the developers tried too hard to make the game hardcore by just designing it to randomly kill you every five minutes until you know which floors collapse and whatnot.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The solution to that in DS1 was to just play like a huge coward. I never died to stuff like the giant skeletons or other "assured" deaths because I went through those places at a snails pace hiding behind my shield because it was fucking terrifying and murdery.

I really want to play Demons Souls, but I just can't do it. It's so godawful ugly + 30fps on the ps3 that I can't stand it. Plus, there are so few people playing it now that world tendency is completely fucked/pointless so I can't even do a decent chunk of stuff, and the only multiplayer that happens is if you happen to be human you'll get invaded by super twinks until you're not human anymore.

Elerion

N00b
Also, Demon's Souls has by far the worst case of "fuck you and the 30 minutes you spent getting to this boss" in the series. Some of those levels are fucking loooong. It led to me spoiling quite a few of those bosses for me because fuck spending 15-30 minutes between each attempt while I learn wtf is going on.

I liked how in DS2 I could generally get back to a boss within 3-5 minutes. I had zero desire to spoil it then (although I did test the water by sunbroing a few of them).

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Right now I'm stuck on Kapra demon. I'm going to restart tho. a Knight with 2h axe is pretty rough for a first playthrough. I'm gonna be a bitch and go warrior with 1h+shield

Vaclav

Right now I'm stuck on Kapra demon. I'm going to restart tho. a Knight with 2h axe is pretty rough for a first playthrough. I'm gonna be a bitch and go warrior with 1h+shield
Capra Demon really isn't a blocking fight much at all (certainly not after the adds are dead).

Dodge on the way in, run to the stairs to funnel the dogs to you kill the dogs while he catches up, then have a relatively normal fight.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Kappa Demon is a nice little cock block until you realize as mentioned above-once you run past them all successfully its much easier when you can stand on the ledge and kill shit one at a time.
His AI will usually make him whiff an attack on the stairs, drop down-allowing you to do a falling attack for quite a bit of his health. rinse and repeat.

Elerion

N00b
1h+shield is good advice anyway. The ability to walk around with shield up is really strong when you don't know what is around the next corner.