Dark Souls 2

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'm kind of glad i haven't played the DLC yet, it gives me an excuse to buy it again on the PS4 when it comes out lol

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
They can just keep pumping out solid DLC for titles like this.

XCOM just needs to bite the bullet and come out with the 50$ mega expansion pack for alien home world invasion.

This could do some crazy shit too and I'd be down.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Okay, so I picked this up for 15 bucks for my PS3. Getting ready to start playing it during my 2 week Christmas vacay.

Any recommendations on character builds purely for PvE? In Dark Souls I kinda just winged it, ran with a cleric-type build wielding a halberd and upgraded stats willy-nilly. I actually enjoyed the super long reach of the halberd and managed to complete the game withouttoomuch difficulty. I never got good at blocking, though. And as for the cleric/faith bit, the only miracles I used was the Heal and Heal II or whatever it's called. Was rather useless in battle but saved a lot of flask usage during regular exploring. Not sure if I want to repeat what I did before though, if it's even viable that is.

In Demon Souls I went with a caster build and just blew stuff up at a distance. Was really easy to cheese bosses IIRC. Is this a possible strategy in Dark Souls 2? (don't neg, just asking).

I feel like these games it's best to do some research before starting otherwise you end up with a gimp-ish character. Or, rather, miss out in creating something devastating. Of course I've done a web search and found some guides for various builds but I can't really find any that are rated. I want something that will allow for a somewhat non-rapey play through but doesn't require amazing controller dexterity.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
There are two weapons that make the game easy and that can be acquired right at the start: rapier and club. If you build around either of those (Dex/Str) you don't really need to get too technical with point distribution. Dark magic is still really powerful even though it has been nerfed; and lightning Faith build is also strong. Pyro is weak and magic is kinda meh. One thing you may not know - you can redistribute points in DS2 so if you fuck up it doesn't really matter; or if you find a new weapon you want to try you can change points also. Black Knight Halberd is also pretty awesome and not too difficult to play. None of the Boss Soul weapons are really worth it and armor is a total waste of time. Just go Fashion Souls and pick armor that aids things like + spells or +regen etc. There is absolutely no point in walking around in full Havel's. Get a 100% physical shield and you are good to go. You need to dodge in this game or you are going to die a lot. Have fun!

Edit: Some bosses can be cheesed with spells and some can be cheesed with melee. I don't think all of the bosses can be cheesed by the same thing. Rapier 2H destroys bosses. TBH the bosses in the main path are really not all that tough. Some of the challenge mobs (e.g. Smelter) are a little more tougher and you may end up passing those until over-levelled.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Magic of any kind is easy mode in the regular game, but is severely underpowered in the DLCs

Lenas

Trump's Staff
ShakyJake, your character will never be gimped in DS2. Worst case scenario, you use an item to reset all of your stats and reallocate them.

Start with whatever you think you'll like. If you don't end up liking it, it wont really matter.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Question: if a turned-in boss soul would yield a weapon that I would not use or is considered crap (i.g. Lost Sinner Sword), should I just consume it for the souls? Any reason to hang onto it?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If you aren't interested in a weapon or a spell, consume it. You can always use an ascetic to respawn the boss and get the soul again if you need to. Personally I like to get at least 1 of everything before I start "wasting" items. Especially because soul farming is so easy in DS2.

Needless

Toe Sucker
That ring is long overdue, shitty that you need to sacrifice a ring slot but at least it's something i guess

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh look, they thought Ganker covenant needed better rewards.

but will they finally fix all 60 FPS related bugs?

YxxAn_sl

shitlord
I can not believe that I didn't play this game earlier! Just finished DS1 last and DS2 and I am currently working on the last DLC. This series is easily on my top 5 list of games! I just wish they could release the Sins of the Scholar edition so I could play on the PS4 instead.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I picked up current base game during winter sale for $13 and don't have any dlc. now I'm not sure if I should even start or just wait and buy Scholar of the First Sin since it has all dlc and directX11 , and play that version. What do you guys think?

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I'd say wait since Scholar is coming out in April; Scholar also includes some new story content that's not in the current game iirc.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
rrr_img_89198.jpg

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I picked up current base game during winter sale for $13 and don't have any dlc. now I'm not sure if I should even start or just wait and buy Scholar of the First Sin since it has all dlc and directX11 , and play that version. What do you guys think?
I would wait for the update unless you're dying for more content. If the MP side of Dark Souls is your jam, I would wait, if you solo everything you may as well get it now. Reason being the update should bring a ton of people back into the game and the first 2 DLC areas don't have tons of summons on NG+ and up.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Played the free update today. The new NPC is pretty meh, the updated item descriptions don't really answer any questions, and the new final boss and new ending are both just pathetic. Figured that it would take a lot more to redeem this game.