Dark Souls 2

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pursuer, Last Giant, Dragonrider so far for me - but only probably put in ~4-5 hrs so far. (And that includes a reroll because I got irritated at losing 30k souls right after Last Giant from being too cocky while I'm still readjusting)

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Since you've beat the sentinels, is there any way to get to them without using a fragrant branch of yore? And if I do, am I gonna get it back from a treasure in there?

Also anyone know what's behind the stone statue in the way from Heide's to No-Man's Wharf? Yes, I am stingy with my fragrant branches.

EvilLurker_sl

shitlord
Since you've beat the sentinels, is there any way to get to them without using a fragrant branch of yore? And if I do, am I gonna get it back from a treasure in there?

Also anyone know what's behind the stone statue in the way from Heide's to No-Man's Wharf? Yes, I am stingy with my fragrant branches.
I haven't been in there, but I foundthis:

You can find the next chard (sic) in the tunnel leading to No-man's Wharf from Heide's Tower of Flame, where you have to pick the elevator till the bottom and turn left in the main hallway. Use Fragrant Branch on the petrified statue you will find at that point and beat the Mastodon Knight: the shard is on the dead body he is guarding.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord

It's an estus shard. I'm using my branches as I get them. If it turns out I was supposed to be stingy, I'm fucked =p

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
There were more branches in the initial title than you could use by 1 or 2 I thought.

And most of them, once you used one, there was a new one past that point to replace it, if i remember correctly.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord

Sorry for replying twice to the same quote - I think you can drop through a window on the other side of the building in lieu of using a branch. I'd forgotten about it though and used mine. Iirc that 5-soldier rush is hard to deal with using that shortcut though.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There were more branches in the initial title than you could use by 1 or 2 I thought.

And most of them, once you used one, there was a new one past that point to replace it, if i remember correctly.
They added a bunch anyhow - you can buy one off vendor that starts in Fallen Giants too - so it's likely amped way up in drop rate too.

And it does seem "optional routes with a blockage" tend to be estus flasks now, was that way for the one in the newbie yard too.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
They added a bunch anyhow - you can buy one off vendor that starts in Fallen Giants too - so it's likely amped way up in drop rate too.

And it does seem "optional routes with a blockage" tend to be estus flasks now, was that way for the one in the newbie yard too.
Up to Ancient dragon and giants/dlc now.

There are far more branches available in this version of the game, and they also come as rare drops from enemies in the later zones. Currently I think I have 3 on me, and the only statue I haven't unlocked so far is the one you can skip in the area after the white misty forest, where you can jump from the bridge over to the other side. That area now also has two+ more statues.

As you said, there is usually a flask shard behind them, though some also block new items (at least items I never got before).

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Sunbro or gtfo

Also i feel like im doing something wrong in pvp. Ive only won once out of the 7 or 8 times ive been invaded. Maybe its just a get gud situation.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sunbro or gtfo
Did they change anything about covenant rewards? Felt like the biggest issue with covenants to me was that Bellbros gave you free titanite chunks as a regular reward while other covenants such as sunbros gave you fuck all on both the regular rewards or the rank gains

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Sunbro or gtfo

Also i feel like im doing something wrong in pvp. Ive only won once out of the 7 or 8 times ive been invaded. Maybe its just a get gud situation.
If Soul Memory still exists in the game, that can probably make a pretty significant difference based on how many souls you've lost with dying too often.

The way it worked, from my understanding, was that all souls you acquired counted towards the Soul Memory level, so if you're inefficient and dying a lot without recovering souls, I think that can lead to a pretty strong differential in outcomes from someone who spends those souls on levelling up instead.

But I dunno if they removed that mechanic. I thought they tuned it down in a patch in the old version.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If Soul Memory still exists in the game, that can probably make a pretty significant difference based on how many souls you've lost with dying too often.

The way it worked, from my understanding, was that all souls you acquired counted towards the Soul Memory level, so if you're inefficient and dying a lot without recovering souls, I think that can lead to a pretty strong differential in outcomes from someone who spends those souls on levelling up instead.

But I dunno if they removed that mechanic. I thought they tuned it down in a patch in the old version.
It's still in. Also shit you buy with souls counts, weapon / armor upgrades you don't use count and so on. So someone who never buys any shards, and for example farms bellbros for all chunks he ever needs, never upgrades any weapons and armor sets but the ones he actually uses and never loses a soul puddle will have a considerable level advantage compared to players who don't play this nonsense at his SM range.

The amount of souls you can sink into upgrading weapons and armor if you also purchase the titanite for it is insane.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
For some reason DS2 isn't as fun after Bloodborne. I got SOTFS for PS4 with the intent of going for the platinum trophy and after a few hours I just don't have the desire to play. Also, durability bug for the lose.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thanks for all the replies about the statues/fragrant branches of yore. I had a hell of a time in No-Man's Wharf with only 2 estus since I missed the one on pursuer's platform, that extra flask will be very nice to have.

Column_sl

shitlord
For some reason DS2 isn't as fun after Bloodborne. I got SOTFS for PS4 with the intent of going for the platinum trophy and after a few hours I just don't have the desire to play. Also, durability bug for the lose.
Really? this is my first time playing DS2 on the PC, and I'm liking it more then BloodBorne. Maybe it's just the Fantasy setting, I don't know.

The controls are just as responsive as Bloodborne was, I had no problem just dropping in and playing.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Sunken King DLC was torture with all the poison and bleed lol. Only had issue with the second boss. Working on Iron King DLC now (much cooler setting)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was watching a Dark Souls 2 stream of an all bosses speed run on PS4 and I remembered the one thing that really annoyed me about this game. Why do enemies/bosses seem to have overhead lazer tracking on you? I mean when a boss/mob attacks and you side step, the boss/mob follows your character almost 180 degrees if they have to. I don't remember that in DS1, and it's certainly not in Bloodborne