Dark Souls 2

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My understanding was that it bumps you an NG+ level, so HP should be increased along with the damage dealt.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It could be.. with a broken as fuck short sword it takes me about 6-8 light swings to kill those dudes in the forest (at the beginning). Not sure how they are without that covenant as that's all I know.

Balin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Kind of funny how this franchise of games have so many features that I want added (back) to MMOs.

No maps, no hand holding, death penalties and risk vs reward. Rewards and punishes exploration equally as well as giving actual feelings while playing it, both "Noooooooo!" and "Yeeeeeeeeees!".
How amazing would it be to have Souls-style combat in an MMO? There'd be big differences like ~6 people beating on one mob, and client-server latency would sometimes blow. But still. I'd be all over it.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Kind of funny how this franchise of games have so many features that I want added (back) to MMOs.

No maps, no hand holding, death penalties and risk vs reward. Rewards and punishes exploration equally as well as giving actual feelings while playing it, both "Noooooooo!" and "Yeeeeeeeeees!".
That's a pretty apt description of how I've felt about MMORPGs for the last six years. They've all left me completely indifferent, because while the mechanics have improved, the substance of the games has gone to shit. It has become such a hollow, apathy-inducing genre.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The moment when I ran into the room, saw Capra Demon and somehow killed him with one shot was something I doubt I'll experience in any other series of games. Literally shot off my couch screaming "YEAHH!!!" and my wife had a wtf look.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is the convenant you guys are talking about the one at the top of the hill behind the cave in the town with the emerald woman? If so, I would like to know how to unjoin that shit.

My biggest issue is that they really seem to have shrunk the hit boxes of the monsters a ton in this one, which is one way to make it harder I guess. The item degrade rate is stupidly fast, too, but I guess since there is a campfire every two feet that is ok. Game is fucking gorgeous on a PS3, though. Not having to go half the game to access travel is also a major plus. The enemy AI seems a lot more refined, as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think when I joined it it was at the top of a hill and you talked to a statue or something to join it. For all I know I joined an easy mode covenant and I just suck even worse than I thought.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ugh. Got the flu and am supposed to leave for Turks and Caicos in 16 hours..... but this just came in through Gamefly so I guess there are always silver linings. Hardly have the energy to turn on the PS3, but I don't care. Somehow I feel this is going to be a rather painful experience.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ugh. Got the flu and am supposed to leave for Turks and Caicos in 16 hours..... but this just came in through Gamefly so I guess there are always silver linings. Hardly have the energy to turn on the PS3, but I don't care. Somehow I feel this is going to be a rather painful experience.
I'm in the process of being snowed in by what will hopefully be the last winter storm of the season, and the fucking mailman just walked right past my house without leaving anything.
frown.png
I guess GameFly wasn't able to ship it to me from the shipping center in PA and I have to wait for it to come from CA or TX instead.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not to give you false hope but sometimes in adverse conditions or otherwise heavy mail days, they will give all the packages to another person who will only deliver packages.

Source: My wife is a mail carrier for USPS.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I used about two hours last night as a total throwaway just to run around and get a feel for the game. Amazon Prime pulled the old "promise by Wednesday at 8:00 PM; have it at my door when I got home from work Tuesday night," so that was a pleasant surprise.

Starting up a new character tonight and encouraging my wife and kids to disappear for a few weeks/months. Maybe it was the beer, but I found it really hard to figure out what the stats were on items in my inventory vs. what I currently had equipped (particularly the shields).

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Not to give you false hope but sometimes in adverse conditions or otherwise heavy mail days, they will give all the packages to another person who will only deliver packages.

Source: My wife is a mail carrier for USPS.
This gives me hope as the assclowns at Amazon who promised release day delivery didn't, and the package rests in the hands of my local USPS. I just saw the mail guy go by, but sadly no package was delivered.

The bad news is my town near Cleveland currently looks like Siberia. I'd bet I don't get it until tomorrow. On the good news front, Amazon gave me 20 dollars in credit, so I'm somewhat mollified.

I almost never preorder games, but next time I'll nab it from a local store.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This gives me hope as the assclowns at Amazon who promised release day delivery didn't, and the package rests in the hands of my local USPS. I just saw the mail guy go by, but sadly no package was delivered.

The bad news is my town near Cleveland currently looks like Siberia. I'd bet I don't get it until tomorrow. On the good news front, Amazon gave me 20 dollars in credit, so I'm somewhat mollified.

I almost never preorder games, but next time I'll nab it from a local store.
Yeah usually I order from Amazon because I work everyday and it's easier, but if it's a game I definitely want as soon as I'm home I go local.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
It could be.. with a broken as fuck short sword it takes me about 6-8 light swings to kill those dudes in the forest (at the beginning). Not sure how they are without that covenant as that's all I know.
I went through the tutorial (Which I missed at first because I was scared to go through any type of fog whatsoever) and got a dagger - which did well (and fast) until I got my regular short sword.

Have you gone through the initial tutorial? Lots of decent starting goodies in there that can help.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
UPS sucks dick where I live and I didn't get my copy until 6:30pm last night. Tuesday being "new release" day is always like that for me. Other days UPS will be here by 2pm but not on a Tuesday with high profile releases.

Anyway... The Pursuer sucks ass. I've only been stuck on him for about an hour and needed a break. On one hand I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one struggling with him, on the other hand it looks like I'll have to suck it up and summon people in. The Last Giant didn't take me too long to figure out and I didn't think it was all that bad (except for one attempt where he pinned me in a corner and proceeded to have his way with me).

Also, for as long as I've been playing, I haven't been invaded once. Luck?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I went through the tutorial (Which I missed at first because I was scared to go through any type of fog whatsoever) and got a dagger - which did well (and fast) until I got my regular short sword.

Have you gone through the initial tutorial? Lots of decent starting goodies in there that can help.
Yeah I did the tutorial. I might reroll anyways because I hit "x" on character creation before even setting up my character beyond Deprived class. It would take me 4 minutes to catch up to where I am anyways.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Damn I kept assuming that the Heide knight in the giant forest and the one in bastille would speak to me after completing other objectives, but I guess you just kill them? I was wondering where the Heide sword people kept talking about came from.