Dark Souls 2

kalissan_sl

shitlord
baiting havel outside the door works for casters too. You can deadangle him into attempting to attack through the door and just poke him with soul arrows til he dies.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The PC port is hilarious. Was there any patch released so far?

Even the installer appears to be a generic Visual Studio background.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
The port is half-assed, the game still pretty good. Get the graphics fix, plug-in a gamepad and enjoy. Seriously, do not play this if you don't have a gamepad, i can't imagine anyone playing Dark Souls with a keyboard and mouse.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the game kinda ended for me now that I died once to the abyss demon and now the door won't open a second time. Will bother with spoilers tomorrow at work, but game has a good first impression, besides the super shaky camera and the menu that feels like something from the early 90s

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The port is half-assed, the game still pretty good. Get the graphics fix, plug-in a gamepad and enjoy. Seriously, do not play this if you don't have a gamepad, i can't imagine anyone playing Dark Souls with a keyboard and mouse.
It play fine with a keyboard/mouse if you get the mods that fix it. And you should also get the mods that unlock the fps and rendering limitation.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Played Dark Souls not too long after it came out and it instantly became one of my top favorites across all genres and platforms. I probably went through Dark Souls four or five times and have tons of hours put into it, so I'm fucking stoked for 2.

I never bothered picking up Demon's Souls for no good reason and since it just became free on the PSN+ store I downloaded it yesterday and holy shit. I think I love it more than Dark Souls. I think the graphics are on par, if not strangely better, and the cinematics and characters don't seem so lifeless. It's always strange to step back in a series and find your experience improved. Anyone else partial to Demon's? Also there seems to be a shit ton of people online playing it now that it went free, which is cool.

Hinadurus_sl

shitlord
I started playing Demon's Souls for the 3rd time a few days ago. My previous times were attempts. I think I was not in the right mindset previously, I was able to defeat Phalanx but anything further was just way too difficult to me. This time around I got Phalanx, Tower Knight, Fool's Idol, and Armor Spider.. So my progress this time around is much better. I have a better understanding of the combat, stats, and gear and it has increased my enjoyment a lot. I knew it was a game I didn't want to give up on and I'm glad I didn't because now I've seen some really cool creatures, heard some cool music, and explored awesome and creepy environments. This game world is very unique.

I look forward to completing this game as I have heard very good things about Dark Souls.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Demon's Souls was definitely better for the multiplayer. Personally I believe they are about even. Neither game is better than the other overall.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've always felt that Demon's Souls was a far better game. The only real improvements made in Dark Souls were getting rid of world tendency, adding in an actual jump button, and the redesign of crystal lizards. And, admittedly, the DLC closed the gap a fair bit too.

I can see where some people might like the connected world thing better than a hub, but I did not. If From wants to keep making open world games I wish they'd call it King's Field V instead, and take Dark Souls back to its roots.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Meh, I greatly preferred Dark Souls. Played them both within a few weeks of each other and Dark just felt more polished and tight. Great Scythe +15 and tons of dexterity ftw!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Since you bring it up by mentioning the great scythe, my biggest complaint was the weapon redesign in Dark Souls. Demon's Souls may have had fewer options, but imo it had a lot moreviableones, and the unique weapons had a lot more flair to them. There was nothing in Dark Souls that remotely compared to the mirdan hammer; DkS' great scythe wasn't even in the ballpark. Nor was there any weapon like the BBS at all, and using BBS+Moon Uchi was by far my favorite setup in Demon's Souls. In fact, dual wield was just completely gutted to the point of uselessness, in favor of everyone using shields instead (and then all the popular ones were nerfed in the mega-patch). The only weapons I really enjoyed using in DkS were the Moonlight Greatsword and the Obsidian Greatsword--which wasn't added until the DLC and was incredibly difficult to get.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Since you bring it up by mentioning the great scythe, my biggest complaint was the weapon redesign in Dark Souls. Demon's Souls may have had fewer options, but imo it had a lot moreviableones, and the unique weapons had a lot more flair to them. There was nothing in Dark Souls that remotely compared to the mirdan hammer; DkS' great scythe wasn't even in the ballpark. Nor was there any weapon like the BBS at all, and using BBS+Moon Uchi was by far my favorite setup in Demon's Souls. In fact, dual wield was just completely gutted to the point of uselessness, in favor of everyone using shields instead (and then all the popular ones were nerfed in the mega-patch). The only weapons I really enjoyed using in DkS were the Moonlight Greatsword and the Obsidian Greatsword--which wasn't added until the DLC and was incredibly difficult to get.
Yeah I discussed that when I was replaying Dark Souls, there was very little variety in viable weapons. I made a dagger only char and you had so little choice, and even the choice you had was terrible, you needed to wait until you killed the lady in the painting to get the "ultimate" dagger, which was just a high base dmg dagger and that was it. No poison based daggers(which is like the very very obvious way to make a dagger "unique") and like 5daggers total, one of which was the starting shit dagger for sorcs and the other was a parry based dual wield dagger. Also as you said Dual Wield really had no point.

I hope they add more varied stuff for Dark Souls 2, and revise the combat a bit. Dual Wield should be viable somehow, parries are cool but you can parry with a shield too if you use one of the smaller ones, so there is no real advantage. Should at least open new moves(I think you can use both weapons if they're both katanas but that's it) or give a passive bonus to attackspeed or something similar, which is the easy band aid fix but still decent enough. Shortbows should maybe have combat moves too like other weapons instead of all bows mostly being the same other than stats.

Edit: Checking the wiki quickly, I see they added a dagger with the DLC, but that's still 6 total, one of which is the cursed weapon to hit ghosts with in New Londo, one is the sorc starting weap which is awful, one is the Bandit Knife which is basically what you use the whole game until you get DLC or Priscilla and the last one is the parry dagger.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Demon's Souls wasn't even all that difficult though, outside of Maneaters.
They each had their own upsides.. I would still say that DaS was the better game, regardless of how much i still think DeS is amazing

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It play fine with a keyboard/mouse if you get the mods that fix it. And you should also get the mods that unlock the fps and rendering limitation.
What mods fix it? I have a 1.7 something that lets me choose 1920 1080 but it still gives me A B X Y and >start button references in game

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
mouse is a lot better now thanks for those links.

Not knowing that merely activating a bonfire doesn't make it your save point is one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in years

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Everyone hates dark souls for the first 3 or 4 hours, then the game opens up, you learn the systems, and you can't get enough. I personally loved the rapiers as my weapon of choice.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
There were tons of good viable weps in Dark Souls. Uchi, Great Scythe, ML Greatsword, Estoc, Claymore, etc. If anything the area that needed improvement in BOTH games was ranged (xbow/bows). The system was clunky and it is next to impossible to do a full playthrough on NG+ w/ just ranged. I hope they open it up a bit more.

Shields are also not necessary at all - Just beasted a playthrough with only 2h Great Scythe and Smoughs armor and raped everything (while looking awesome as fuck). I seriously hope they stay true to their roots in the next one - best game I've played on PS3 to this day.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There were tons of good viable weps in Dark Souls. Uchi, Great Scythe, ML Greatsword, Estoc, Claymore, etc. If anything the area that needed improvement in BOTH games was ranged (xbow/bows). The system was clunky and it is next to impossible to do a full playthrough on NG+ w/ just ranged. I hope they open it up a bit more.

Shields are also not necessary at all - Just beasted a playthrough with only 2h Great Scythe and Smoughs armor and raped everything (while looking awesome as fuck). I seriously hope they stay true to their roots in the next one - best game I've played on PS3 to this day.
You just listed a bunch of swords. Having many types of swords doesn't make it that interesting. You also said shield wasn't necessary if using a 2H, which I completely agree with, but the point was that shield was way superior to dual wielding, not that shield was necessary.

I probably didn't make my point clear enough, I didn't mean there was a small amount of weapons that were viable, but a small amount of weapon types. There was no whip progression, no good unarmed combat, daggers weren't very good or interesting, bows were boring and only useful as a secondary weapon(I did a playthrough as an archer, it was fairly horrible and it was basically retarded to beat the 4kings with a bow only because of the room having invisible walls). It felt like there was a lack of options to have very different playstyle when it came to weapons. You still had the shield+1H, 2H, pyro, mage and priest routes which is a decent amount, but I disliked the fact daggers and bows were so crappy, or that some of the styles weren't deep enough like rapiers+parry dagger duellist type build.

To illustrate my point. There are 6 daggers in the game, 5rapiers. There's 13swords, 13greatswords, 5ultra greatswords, 7curved swords, 4katanas, 3curved greatswords. That's quite a disparity in the styles imo. Even if you consider curved/katanas to not count as normal swords, there's still twice as many swords. Now I understand swords tend to be the iconic weapons and stuff, but when you have a small number like 6daggers, and then some of them are token weapons that can't even really be used as your main weapon(dagger, parry dagger, cursed blade), that severely limits the viability of the weapon type as a whole. For example if you look at 1H axes, there's only 6 of them, yet there's no completely useless weapons there, there's a progression and various options, not counting the fact you can also use greataxes too.

I'm just saying in Dark Souls 2, I hope they make daggers, dual wielding and possibly ranged more interesting. Playing the game using swords is awesome, but using daggers it's really not quite as much. I did 4 playthroughs of the game back when it was released, first one as pyromancer+quellag, second as dagger, 3rd as archer and 4th as Zweihander only. The first and 4th were very fun, the dagger one was ok and the archer one was painful.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I don't see how that makes it not as good as Demon Souls. I found the weapon customization way better in Dark Souls and of course you aren't even listening Halberds, hammers, great hammers and spears. DS has a huge huge variety of weapons, not just swords heh. Your complaint seems to boil down to "yeah, there are lots of weapons but not daggers/bows", which is a valid complaint but to imply that Dark Souls didn't have a huge variety of weapons is offbase. They just didn't emphasize your particular favorite.