Dark Souls 2

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Plus you know there's probably one hidden mimic chest that doesn't have the chain set right.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I always hit every chest before I looted it. I never knew about the chain.

I like the games because they force you to learn otherwise you die. Once you do learn it's a fuck yeah moment which very few games do for me nowadays. It doesn't help that 98% of games now are faceroll easy.

I certainly hope they don't dumb down these games because I love them the way they are made now. Being dumped into the game with very little hand holding is a breath of fresh air and makes for a better experience and is what made these games so popular in the first place.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Be prepared to be disappointed. Their language may not explicitly say it, but from what I've read so far, what they're really saying is "yep, it's going mainstream full-retard for more sales."

Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised, but the almighty dollar will likely win again.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well there's a few ways they can do it that wouldn't ruin the franchise. One very simple one would simply to have an easy mode where you can herpderp and still beat shit due to more healing, less dmg, doing more dmg and stuff like that. Wouldn't detract from anything as long as normal(or hard whatever they call it) is still the same, while it'd make it a lot more accessible. You know with that shit where they ask you if you wanna switch to easy if you die a dozen of times on the same boss. Hopefully a popup that only appears once and not every 10mins like in KoA, fuck I hated that shit, and it was preselected on yes too.

Mofist

Trakanon Raider
Be prepared to be disappointed. Their language may not explicitly say it, but from what I've read so far, what they're really saying is "yep, it's going mainstream full-retard for more sales."

Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised, but the almighty dollar will likely win again.
This is the first awesome gaming news I've had in months and now... shit, I'm just hoping they don't dumb this game down.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I honestly wouldn't worry about dumbing the game down too much.

Remember, they're a Japanese game developer. It's still going to be full of ridiculous shit and they don't throw around the terms "accessibility" like Western developers do.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've played a lot of games, especially lately. One thing that is blatantly obvious is how much they hold your hand. I've enjoyed a lot of the games, but there's always so much tutorial stuff and NPCs pointing shit out so you don't have to think so much.

That's why Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are just great games...they give you the control scheme and say "come at me bro".

I do hope they get rid of the rag doll corpse thing though, nothing like running around with some dead guy wrapped around my ankles.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saying "It's not a bad port if you had the equipment" is a bollocks statement. You can circumvent some of the shitty-ness by using a wired controller, but it doesn't detract from it. Had they ported a game from the PC to the xbox, kept all of the tips and tutorials geared towards a KB + Mouse setup, and had resolution set for something that didn't jive with your console of choice, we'd probably hear more bitching.
Come on, this is straight up bullshit. Of course you'd hear bitching about a shitty port to the 360, because it's a fucking console and modding a console is impossible, illegal, or just straight up retarded. The fact of the matter is that Dark Souls on the PC is the single best way to experience the game right now, bar none, period. If you play it on another platform, you are playing an inferior product. Yes you need to mod it, and yes you still need to use a controller, but that doesn't mean it's not better.

Well there's a few ways they can do it that wouldn't ruin the franchise. One very simple one would simply to have an easy mode where you can herpderp and still beat shit due to more healing, less dmg, doing more dmg and stuff like that. Wouldn't detract from anything as long as normal(or hard whatever they call it) is still the same, while it'd make it a lot more accessible. You know with that shit where they ask you if you wanna switch to easy if you die a dozen of times on the same boss. Hopefully a popup that only appears once and not every 10mins like in KoA, fuck I hated that shit, and it was preselected on yes too.
Alternatively, they can take the idiotic westerner idea of multiple difficulties, shove them up some idiot casual's asshole, and deliver us a more refined product than ever before, just like they did with Dark Souls from Demon's. If anything gets more streamlined it's the lore of the game, which while the lore presentation of Dark Souls is phenomenal and probably the best out of any game ever created, it's not a huge deal. Of course, the real kicker to your suggestion is that it already exists -- God created the Drake Sword for a reason and it wasn't because it looks pretty going up the asshole of a Gargoyle. I just completed a no shield run not too long ago, what difficulty level are we putting that at now? Expert? Master? I want Baller status, man, how do I get the Baller trophy.

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
I've played a lot of games, especially lately. One thing that is blatantly obvious is how much they hold your hand. I've enjoyed a lot of the games, but there's always so much tutorial stuff and NPCs pointing shit out so you don't have to think so much.

That's why Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are just great games...they give you the control scheme and say "come at me bro".

I do hope they get rid of the rag doll corpse thing though, nothing like running around with some dead guy wrapped around my ankles.
But carrying around spiders from Blighttown all the way into Demon Ruins and beyond was hilarious! Also, combat rolling into corpses and sending them flying around was entertaining for a bit. I highly concur about the difficulty curve being both based in knowledge, as well as a lack of introduction into things other than "Press B dodge, hold to run, etc.". I loved figuring out how to cut off the tails of bosses (and boy did I feel dumb killing the Red Dragon only to find out his tail was an epicly good weapon for how early you can get it), why to not go to Sif at level 10 on a fresh playthrough (backdooring via Master Key wewt), and that anything but 2H's +10 or greater with CMW kinda suck on NG++. I still haven't picked up DS:pTD, hell, haven't even patched the fucking game from the retail disc client, but it's on the list.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
For those who responded to my post, you either cannot read correctly or you are just being intentionally obtuse because you want to bitch. Apparently I rustled your jimmies though.

I never said it wasn't the best experience; it's absolutely the best experience. When Demon's Souls came out, the way the gameplay was made it absolutely mind boggling that it wasn't also on PC. It's understandable I guess, considering who made the game and the fact it was an exclusive for PS3, but I digress. A lot of people (myself included, because RPGs like Demon's Souls/Dark Souls where you spend a shit ton of time cautiously investigating every little thing seem to be perfect for "solitude" gaming at the PC - headphones on, sound turned up, go fuck yourself if you bother me while I figure this shit out) thought that it was a missed opportunity not being on PC.

When Dark Souls came out, there were rumors that it would be brought out later on the PC, which were obviously confirmed later. So, now they're making good on all of the people who prefer those types of games on PC.

The issue at hand is not "Is this the best experience" because most of us know that the majority of games tend to be far better experiences on PC, whether it's for resolution/graphics, controller/KB+ mouse setup, or even something like load times. The issue is, those games should have been on PC to begin with. Not a huge deal that they weren't, but it was definitely a missed opportunity. They fixed that. What they did however, was make it a shitty port, so you're spending 50 bucks on something that was fucking slapped together so they could sell more copies. The salt on the wound is that the things that sucked were easily circumvented with a bit of work with mods and using a different control setup. That's it.

I really don't understand how you're missing that point. For 50 bucks, you deserve to have something that looks like it was made for PC, even if it was a port. I can use a controller, I can mod the game, and I can obviously get a much better player experience than I had on a console, but for my money, that should have be done already.

I'm not saying the game sucked on PC, I'm saying it was quite obviously a failed attempt to make it worthy of the PC. Using a controller does not change the quality of the port; it just doesn't. It would be like adding tabasco to an MRE. Does it change the quality of food? No, it still fucking blows, but now it's edible at least. Sort of. Analogies suck, what am I doing.

Way to miss the gee dee point, guys. Was it still worth the money? Absolutely, but don't take that shit sitting down. If you're going to spend money on a game, expect them to put some fucking effort into it; hold them to that standard. Don't be apologists for them.

On topic: As Pyros said however, since this time it is releasing for PC at the same time as other platforms, there is a good chance my 50 bucks are going to go towards a game that looks like it was made with the PC in mind. Here's hoping it's still the dark souls that I love though, and not some watered down version to appeal to the masses. Also, I have to agree that Pancreas post was right on. It's almost what I was saying in the DnD thread; you have these encounters that are difficult, or just brutal, but with some paying attention, using a few skills, and mostly just learning your way through the game, hard scenarios become increasingly easier. Rewarding your players for using brains over brawn is one of the most satisfying ways to play a game. And Dark Souls emphasizes this well.

Edit: Also if you think that's mad you must think everyone is yelling at all times. It was simply matter of fact.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Alternatively, they can take the idiotic westerner idea of multiple difficulties, shove them up some idiot casual's asshole, and deliver us a more refined product than ever before, just like they did with Dark Souls from Demon's. If anything gets more streamlined it's the lore of the game, which while the lore presentation of Dark Souls is phenomenal and probably the best out of any game ever created, it's not a huge deal. Of course, the real kicker to your suggestion is that it already exists -- God created the Drake Sword for a reason and it wasn't because it looks pretty going up the asshole of a Gargoyle. I just completed a no shield run not too long ago, what difficulty level are we putting that at now? Expert? Master? I want Baller status, man, how do I get the Baller trophy.
Not sure what's your point there, Dragon Sword or not, the game stays fairly hard. It's harder without a dragon sword, or at SL1, or if you use a shitty non upgraded club, or if you play with one hand, or with a powerglove linked to an USB port that simulate mouse movement or whatever other fucking idea you can decide, but that doesn't change the baseline difficulty of the game, you just make it harder on yourself. Having an ez mode with simply less dmg taken more dmg dealt doesn't require any noticeable dev time, it wouldn't affect the quality of the game regardless. So maybe your issue is that some other guy who sucks at video games can now finish the game while you have to work harder? But doesn't that contradict the point of you doing a no shield run for example? Did you feel it was less of an accomplishment because a lot of people did use a shield and shields largely trivialize a lot of encounters? Or did you feel actually a better player because you could do this no shield run? What difference then if you play the "true" difficulty mode and some random people you probably don't even know finish it on carebear eating rainbows mode?

At the end of the day I don't care wether or not they add an easy difficulty, but it's the safest way for them to cater to casuals to sell more games without actually ruining the game. Better that than them "carefully balancing" stuff so it's "more accessible". Cause that just means making the easy mode into the baseline. And then even without a shield it'll be boring as shit.

As a side note, no shield isn't very hard, especially if you use strong 2H weapons. I started a Zweihander 2H run before I stopped playing, and it was one of the easiest playthrough I did actually. Hardest was Bow only. Couldn't beat the 4 kings with it because I found out the area where you fight them is actually a closed room with invisible walls, which made kiting retarded as at some seemingly random point(since there's no visual indication of where you are in the room and the bosses move in odd patterns) you'd hit the wall, try to roll against it, not move and still get hit.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I wouldn't be too fearful of enormous changes, because they still have to produce it for the Japanese market.

If they do water it down too much, you can bet they'll probably come out with a "Director's Cut" edition or something.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Adding another difficulty level is stupid. Dark Souls already has a difficulty level, it's called levelling. It's just like a final fantasy game... can't beat the boss? Go kill some stuff in the forest for a couple hours until your stats are up and you have better equipment, it is as old as videogames. I don't think you should changeanythingin the formula, for me apart from a couple of untuned spots it's the perfect game. Just like in EQ, despite the flaws the whole is greater than its parts, from exquisitely crafted animations and combat, to the dark fantasy setting to the nuanced story.

Btw Pyros if my memory serves me right James doesn't just want to win, he wants others to lose
wink.png

wink.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I really don't understand how you're missing that point. For 50 bucks, you deserve to have something that looks like it was made for PC, even if it was a port.
I disagree. Whether I have to spend an hour applying 3 sets of user-created mods to the game to configure it correctly or not doesn't significantly impact my enjoyment of the game.

Obligatory burn: If you want your hand held when you install a game maybe Dark Souls isn't for you.

Vithe

Hardcore Casual
Anyone who gamed during the DOS/Windows 3.1 days knows what sort of bullshit you would go through to try to get a game to function on your 386. The fact that i have to take 10 minutes to apply some patches to Dark Souls (PC) to make it more of an enjoyable experience for me doesn't matter.

Even if you don't go back that far and go back to the Quake or Doom days of installing WAD files or mods to play the game, was a lot more work then this, and really nobody complained.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The problem isn't how long it took to apply the patches, it's how long you had to wait after buying the game to have the patches. Didn't take that long but still that's the annoying part, you buy the game when it releases but then you have to wait for patches, fanmade too, for a couple of days/a week before you can actually have the superior experience. Before that it's worse. That's why I don't know about buying the game on PC right away, if it's the same deal that means you have to wait a few days before you can really play and that sucks.

Anyway we'll have to wait and see for the previews and shit and see if they do plan on making a real PC release or what. If they just have the DS fix shit incorporated in the new game at launch then it makes sense to buy the PC version.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Having an ez mode with simply less dmg taken more dmg dealt doesn't require any noticeable dev time, it wouldn't affect the quality of the game regardless.
Get this shit out of here, of course it requires dev time and of course it affects the quality of the game. Pumping out e-z mode bullshit for entitled idiots that can't stomach the fact that they suck giant ballsack absolutely makes the game worse in every measurable sense. Every single game pandering to this crowd of idiots and badge lovers is undeniably worse in every single area because it turns otherwise good developers into drooling retards concerned about whatever other bullshit you just spewed forth here. I don't know what crawled up the assholes of these idiot western developers (*cough*Blizzard*cough*), but they can't create anything worth half a shit because they're all concerned about poor Little Timmy who can't beat the game and see that uber epic CGI they developed
frown.png
frown.png
frown.png
. It's bullshit, and anyone even remotely promoting that point of view in game development is an asshole, an idiot, and should be fucking fired. Idiot game players accepting this lowest common denominator bullshit being shoved down their throats can go fuck themselves with a rusty spiked dildo for all I care.

Dark Souls is the last bastion of an RPG that refuses to fuck around, and you're sitting here trying to make people think it's OK to change that. Fuck that, I say.

frown.png

frown.png

frown.png