Dark Souls 2

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
It wouldn't be that bad. A lot of times players will do two simultaneous playthroughs, one hardcore and one not. The not hardcore account will be used to master an encounter.

Consumables really help hardcore runs too. You can see it in this run:
That dude glitches in part 3 to skip from the Lordvessel placing to the end boss.

Solariss

Golden Squire
I really really just want the ability to join a friend's game. I know this isn't the route they want to take the game, and I haven't read much of this thread.. so maybe it was mentioned or is something they are considering. Even if it were like Demon's Souls where you could drop your stone in a spot and tell your friend where it was. My friend and I played a lot together and I had a lot of fun spending hours in Tower of Latria with him trying to figure out where the fuck to go

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Honestly yeah, fully fleshed out co-op features would be pretty fucking fantastic. This half-thing they have is just kind of weird IMO.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
You can only do this when you're not holding a weap with two hands, and every "offhand" has a variable window of time to get it done.
What you can do though, is trigger the parry (only works on weapon wielding humanoids not too much larger than yourself) and then switch your weapon to 2h. This will increase the riposte damage and shit all over your enemy. It's pretty cool being able to kill the black knights right from the start; once you get good at parrying, they just can't do anything to you.

MartyrDumb_sl

shitlord
If there is an easy mode. Their phantoms should be pink. The changes make me slightly apprehensive. I doubt they'd stray too far from what made the game successful in the first place.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Amazon and Best Buy are both selling Dark Souls for 13 bucks (Xbox and PS3, not PC) , if anyone out there somehow doesn't have this game and hasn't played it yet.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Maybe a slight derail, but any suggestions on a cheap controller to pick up to play the PC version of the first one? I got a copy as a gift and the world and the atmosphere look amazing, but the controls feel like they were designed by someone with 4 hands of 3 fingers each who'd just dropped a 10 strip of acid. Not sure wtf they were thinking but it's completely unplayable on keyboard.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I use the standard Xbox PC controller, mostly because it seems to work with just about any game. I've used a couple other controllers in the past, but they either didn't sync right or just felt wrong. Maybe the other companies out there just aren't good with game controllers versus Microsoft's already broken-in Xbox one.

You can typically find them anywhere for 30-40 bucks.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Can't go wrong with the tried and true xbox360 controller. Plug and play and I'm pretty sure the game is preset for it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just got Dark Souls 1 for christmas, what class should a total noob to the franchise start as? I've read Knight is really good, so might go for that. Otherwise I'm going for the one that starts in rags.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Doesn't matter because you can customize it as you go, but it mostly gives you something to aim for. A lot of it comes down to what you pick along the way to suit your combat style, and the weapons/armor/spells you use.

Most people put decent points into stamina/endurance early, with whatever points in strength/dexterity/faith/intellect they need to use certain weapons/armor/spells they prefer.

Your stats will decide what you can use, and of that, how your style changes. So say you put a lot of points in faith - you can use different miracles, and it would give you bonuses to Divine weapons. You can also change your combat style based upon what gear you wear to compliment that. So you could be a "holy man" of sorts, but you could wear cloth and dodge a lot while casting spells - wear heavy armor and a shield and tank - or go with medium armor to give you enough defense and agility to survive, yet swing a nasty 2hander.

The game is ridiculously customizable.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It doesn't use a class system so it doesn't really matter. Only thing you want to be sure to do is to get the master key.

How difficult the game is is entirely based on how much out-of-game research you do about where the items are, how the encounters work etc. So if you want to play the game like it was intended don't read about it or spoil anything. But if you get stuck you can definitely make things easier by doing some reading.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
How is the 360 version's framerate compared to the PS3? I have the PS3 version and the framerate is fucking horrible in Blighttown. Curious if the 360 suffers from this as well.

And, yes, great game. This and Demon's Souls will put hair on your chest.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
fyi framerate is 60fps on a PC. And it renders at high resolutions instead of 1024x720.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
i didn't have any frame rate issues when i played on xbox.

the only thing about dark souls that disappoints me is that there isn't much that sets the classes apart.