Dark Souls 2

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
People are just in shock at how bad the default KBM setup is Sean. For gamepad I just wish I could flip the trigger/bumper controls. I did in DS1, but I was using a logtech dualshock that actually has a configuration utility. The workarounds for the 360 gamepad using x360ce/xpadder don't seem to work here. It flat out refuses to accept any alternate bindings on the triggers.

It's still your typical consolitis-laden port but nowhere near the level of DS1. Yes, their idea of kbm controls is amazing to behold. And graphic settings are still limited to things like "AA on/off." But at least we don't need a third party utility just to have 60 fps and textures that don't look like SNES era sprites.

I did have a hard time getting into the game at first though. Early on the game was just horseshit, even compared to the hardest parts of DS1. It got remarkably easier with the first 95% shield and the fire longsword. But the very first areas throwing shit at you like 3 mobs at once + archer plinking you from 5 miles away (I pulled them down the ladder) when you have a dogshit shield and weapon was painful. And it seems like monsters are faster, stronger and more varied than DS1 right out the gate yet your character is slower and there are less uber items within suicide run range to help with the early game. Swing recovery, stagger, and rolling all seem much less forgiving than DS1. The combination of faster enemies, and a weaker PC plus facing 2-3 at a time right from the start is a bit of a shock.

Anyway, once i actually reached the Giant it's all been remarkably easier. I've one shot the first four bosses. Pursuer was supposed to be hard? Pfft. Circle strafing like it's 1993.

axeman_sl

shitlord
You get more then enough souls to level by just playing. I think I finished around SL 130 after my first NG playthrough. You generally need far less souls to level in DS2 then you did in DS1.
If I take care not to lose any large chunks of souls to deaths, I'll finish a fully explored NG at level 160+, sometimes even the high 170s, without having stopped to deliberately farm souls. There's a few things I clear more than once, like the three dragon acolyes in Aldia's Keep who can drop petrified dragon bone, but I generally don't wipe out an area until it stops respawning. If one wanted to do that, I think level 200+ would be possible in NG (but quite pointless). It's really weird how low the stat softcaps are considering how high level you can get without even cheesing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I can't get over how peasants have somehow gotten used to not being able to sprint/dodge/useitems/switchshield/use while having control over their camera. I feel like I'm juggling, lol.

Can't wait to get my mouse in so I can hopefully ditch this shit.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Were sorc/faith builds castrated? I feel like im doing absolutely no damage still with 40 int and the sunfaith staff or whatever the hell its called that you get from the hex guy lol
felt much stronger on my 360 character just rocking a sunbro sword +10

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can't get over how peasants have somehow gotten used to not being able to sprint/dodge/useitems/switchshield/use while having control over their camera. I feel like I'm juggling, lol.

In combat, there's lock on, so right stick isn't camera control it's 'flick to change targets.'

Out of combat, who cares? I would never give up analog movement to have any of those other things in a third-person game.

Were sorc/faith builds castrated? I feel like im doing absolutely no damage still with 40 int and the sunfaith staff or whatever the hell its called that you get from the hex guy lol
felt much stronger on my 360 character just rocking a sunbro sword +10
Hex/faith is still the way to go, because practically nothing resists dark and only a handful of things resist lightning. Sorcery/pyro were rather poor to begin with, and then the handful of decent spells got hammered in the patch.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord

People use a shield in dark souls?

Needless

Toe Sucker
In combat, there's lock on, so right stick isn't camera control it's 'flick to change targets.'

Out of combat, who cares? I would never give up analog movement to have any of those other things in a third-person game.

Hex/faith is still the way to go, because practically nothing resists dark and only a handful of things resist lightning. Sorcery/pyro were rather poor to begin with, and then the handful of decent spells got hammered in the patch.
Yeah i completely underlooked dark orb, almost nothing is resistant to it so i've started using it over most sorceries now, ended up buying the game this afternoon and got up past the smelter demon.
Definitely loving the PC version more than the 360, just for the fact that it runs way smoother, and i can use my good headphones to immerse myself in the environment more~

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They learned nothing, what a horrible port. Can't even map mouse buttons without stupid keyboard bind workaround.

Shield Blocking is gone? Can't find a key for assigning that

and Kreugen is spot on, the left right single double click thing is pants on head retarded.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Does having some comedic troll build kill you once make you rage throw your controller or something? haha
I'll never understand the need to play offline to avoid pvp, its not even common in DS2 compared to DeS and DS1

--

If you burn at a bonfire to get the area to NG+, can you only summon people in NG+ then? I just realized the skele lords on NG+ give a ring that has 55%+ increased casting speed.. that shit sounds OP

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I binged hard after picking this game up yesterday and I'm loving it.

The controls felt clunky at first even with a 360 controller (PC), but I've gotten used to them. Just finished the rat boss and holy titties that was hard, but also one of the most fun boss fights of any game I've ever played. Im a str melee build (soon to be faith hybrid) and I tried 3 separate weapons to find one with the right swing for the occasion. Position was everything.

I'm not entirely sure where kreugan and I differed because I didn't find the early game overly hard. Of course I started cleric and having a heal spell early game is AMAZING.

I still can't decide what weapon to use. I'm still mostly using the mace I started with. It's the tits in PvP. Oh BTW joining the bell tower covenant = back to back invading others with a huge advantage and 1 titanite chunk per win. I have like 15 chunks and got 150k souls in maybe an hour doing that.

Anyway I have a large club and greatsword, but can't decide what to use. I'm slight leaning toward greatsword because that RB attack basically hits everything on screen.

For once I'm playing this game blind. Err well I looked up what first 2 areas to go to so I won't repeat my mistake in DS1 of spending 2 hours dying repeatedly to respawning skeletons. And the player messages everywhere are super helpful. OK so I'm not playing blind at all, fuck you

DavivMcD

Peasant
I'm mostly okay with playing online and getting invaded, even killed, once in a while. But Belfry Luna....wtf? Invaded 5 times on the way to the boss, all within 15 minutes. And I killed every single invader, but they don't give any fucking souls and I was left with no flasks for the boss. Yeah that's fun... why are gankers rewarded so well in these games while actual skill gets zero recognition?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
They learned nothing, what a horrible port. Can't even map mouse buttons without stupid keyboard bind workaround.

Shield Blocking is gone? Can't find a key for assigning that

and Kreugen is spot on, the left right single double click thing is pants on head retarded.
"Attacking" with the hand your shield is in is shield block. Strong attack is bash/parry.

In other news, this has got to be one of the most boring games I've ever played. It's obvious the new guy doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.