Dark Souls 2

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Just make sure you do your first playthrough with minimum guidance, unless you're absolutely stuck IMO. This is one of those few games still around that I think still has an "experience" to offer. When you beat it you start a New game + mode and can tweak the hell out of your guy then.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
You're only considering them full-blown classes because of a preconception. They didn't include "classes", they just offer different starting points.

Hope they don't actually add full-blown classes in DS2. One of many ways they could fuck this one up going more mainstream or whatever... sigh.

nurdi_sl

shitlord
I feel like I'm a very small minority to who disliked the first one. Everyone I talk to about it thinks it's one of the best games ever. I couldn't disagree more. Perhaps it's just differing tastes.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Started it last night. Did the first area and boss pretty easily and was like "hmm, this isn't so bad I guess." Then the next major area I just died a fuckton. First I went down to the water and there were some ghosts that wrecked me in 2 hits. Then I went some other way down and was getting destroyed by some obviously higher level monsters. Finally I went up to a graveyard, and although I feel I could've taken down a few of those skeletons after awhile, there was a group of 4 just demolishing me every time I tried. I found my way up and into an area that was much more manageable.

I got up to the Taurus Demon before I quit for the night. Died on him about 5 times until I figured out the trick, but I'll have to do that later today. People were right when they said you'll be dreaming about what you need to do next. I literally went to bed wondering how I could beat the demon and dreamed up my own strategy of jumping off the sniper tower onto his head a couple times. I think that will work, but I guess I will try it today. He has about 10k souls on him that I kept losing.

It was funny that instead of going up the tower towards the Taurus demon, I first went down the tower. Whatever monster was down there raped me in my ass nearly instantly. I really enjoy how there are a lot of different pathways and certain ones are definitely not the ones you should go into. Instead of locking doors and stuff, they just put monsters that put their dick into your ass without lube. Great game so far. Usually after a couple hours I start to get antsy and stop playing for awhile, but this game has addictive gameplay.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I feel like I'm a very small minority to who disliked the first one. Everyone I talk to about it thinks it's one of the best games ever. I couldn't disagree more. Perhaps it's just differing tastes.
I know for myself, at first, I fucking hated the game (Demon Souls). It wasn't that it was "too hard"...it was kind of a combination of things like the getting used to the controls and having to start all over again when you died. Then, as I started opening up shortcuts, the game kinda clicked with me. I absolutely love how the game world's areas are interconnected.

The thing with Demon/Dark Souls is that is mostly memorization. Mobs are static, they don't roam, so once you learn an area you know exactly what's up ahead. The two games aren'tthatdifficult unless you intentionally go with play styles that are inherently more difficult than others.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Started it last night. Did the first area and boss pretty easily and was like "hmm, this isn't so bad I guess." Then the next major area I just died a fuckton. First I went down to the water and there were some ghosts that wrecked me in 2 hits. Then I went some other way down and was getting destroyed by some obviously higher level monsters. Finally I went up to a graveyard, and although I feel I could've taken down a few of those skeletons after awhile, there was a group of 4 just demolishing me every time I tried. I found my way up and into an area that was much more manageable.

I got up to the Taurus Demon before I quit for the night. Died on him about 5 times until I figured out the trick, but I'll have to do that later today. People were right when they said you'll be dreaming about what you need to do next. I literally went to bed wondering how I could beat the demon and dreamed up my own strategy of jumping off the sniper tower onto his head a couple times. I think that will work, but I guess I will try it today. He has about 10k souls on him that I kept losing.

It was funny that instead of going up the tower towards the Taurus demon, I first went down the tower. Whatever monster was down there raped me in my ass nearly instantly. I really enjoy how there are a lot of different pathways and certain ones are definitely not the ones you should go into. Instead of locking doors and stuff, they just put monsters that put their dick into your ass without lube. Great game so far. Usually after a couple hours I start to get antsy and stop playing for awhile, but this game has addictive gameplay.
If it makes you feel better, most players have been raped by the graveyard skeletons, the ruin ghosts, the fat knight at the bottom of that tower and had a hard time with the taurus demon.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Yeah the undead burg should be sort of smooth for you...compared to some of the things ahead. This is making me want to start a new character.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The undead burg was easily the most frustrating part for me. That and the part with the winged bat creatures and the black knight archers.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Haha damn, different parts for different people I suppose. Yeah... the part where you run down a ramp in Anor Londo and theres the 3 demon spear guys with those two javelin shooting assholes.

Everyone says the had trouble with the four kings, but I got them on my first try. I think the hardest boss for me was Ornstein/Smough. I had no humanity left so I had to go solo. Those two guys can go right to hell. Praise the sun.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The four kings are all about having DPS and knowing when to dodge vs when to just eat his attack (50% of the time he'll use an attack that does trivial damage)

Ornstein/Smough was one of my favorite boss fights, maybe because I heard it was full of rape and was mentally prepared for it. If you spend the time memorizing the attacks it becomes pretty easy.

The toughest boss fight I had was the bell tower gargoyles. Even after beating it I don't have a good idea how I could've had a clean victory against them with the character I beat them with.

I never even used or figured out how to summon the sun dude.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If it makes you feel better, most players have been raped by the graveyard skeletons, the ruin ghosts, the fat knight at the bottom of that tower and had a hard time with the taurus demon.
I remember reading Pyros' post about not knowing which way to go in the beginning, so I was sort of prepared for it.. yet I still went every wrong direction possible. I actually made it away from the guy at the bottom of the tower. He left me with about 1% health after one hit and I was able to run away.

The best part about the Taurus Demon is that after dying I have to run through the same area over and over again and got it down to a science. Run out, kill archer to the straight right but watch out for the guy coming up the stairs. Run across the planks into the room with the shielded guy and a few easy guys with him. Run out and up the stairs to kill the pack of 3 with the one guy throwing some fire bombs at me. Run up the tower to kill the archer. Back down kill the 3 guys with shields. Go up the staircase and kill the one dude with a shield. I could do it in about 2 minutes after the first death. Of course, I feel like a noob because everyone has beaten it, so you've probably all had identical scenarios to this.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I remember reading Pyros' post about not knowing which way to go in the beginning, so I was sort of prepared for it.. yet I still went every wrong direction possible. I actually made it away from the guy at the bottom of the tower. He left me with about 1% health after one hit and I was able to run away.

The best part about the Taurus Demon is that after dying I have to run through the same area over and over again and got it down to a science. Run out, kill archer to the straight right but watch out for the guy coming up the stairs. Run across the planks into the room with the shielded guy and a few easy guys with him. Run out and up the stairs to kill the pack of 3 with the one guy throwing some fire bombs at me. Run up the tower to kill the archer. Back down kill the 3 guys with shields. Go up the staircase and kill the one dude with a shield. I could do it in about 2 minutes after the first death. Of course, I feel like a noob because everyone has beaten it, so you've probably all had identical scenarios to this.
That's pretty much how the game works, you die, redo the same content again, and again, and again until you can skip most of it or do it very efficiently. That's why other playthroughs are a lot faster and easier cause you already know everything and unless you give yourself handicaps it becomes too easy in comparison. Also I've found that I probably died a lot more early game, like during the first 2 areas(castle and sewers) than most of the rest. Once you get used to the combat, timing and such it becomes a lot easier to beat enemies you've never fought before and progress. I remember dying A LOT in that specific part you're talking about but I don't think I died nearly as much for the double archer bridge or sen fortress as a whole for example.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
While not particularly difficult, I really despised the two hydra fights. Trying to melee the attacking heads was annoying due to having to fight the camera.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Ornstein and Smough fight has consistently been the worst for me. I've beaten it, but I always feel lucky that I managed to do so, and without Solaire it feels like a struggle. Its weird, because I handle most other fights no problem, but that one has always been trouble. I even managed to work shit out differently for fights like Seath because I typically go 1hander + shield, and everyone else's strategies didn't work for me. I just fuck up Ornstein/Smough though.

The whole "trial and error" thing and memorizing patterns reminded me of the old Ghost n' Goblin type games. lol

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The first thing I did when I played(and didn't look anything up) was work on killing Havel when you go down in that tower instead of up. Took me maybe 3-4 hours to finally learn his patterns and kill him that early in the game with shit all for gear or health. Basically had to be able to kill him without getting hit. His ring is a lifesaver though, was so glad I had it through basically the entire game.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game is fun but why can't I open some locked doors in the first area even though I have the Master Key?