Dark Souls 3

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I wonder if DS3 will have mechanics against just running past every single enemy
I think it's one of the good things about the game, the first time around you'll kill stuff to figure out where to go, where the loot is, if the mobs drop special items and what not. After you've wiped a bunch of times on the boss and had to redo the same section though, being able to just run past useless trash is great. In fact DS2 had even a built in system for that where shit outright stopped spawning after you killed them enough. Arguably a very shitty feature though since it prevented you from farming efficiently in some cases, without having to bump the difficulty of the zone by doing the bonfire upgrade shit, but it's fairly obvious they understand that shit can and will be skipped, and they're fine with it and even encourage it.

It's not like it's a valid first time strategy in most cases. When DS3 releases, if the first thing you do is rush through the level trying to avoid stuff and get to the first boss(real boss, not tutorial area boss assuming they follow that pattern), I can guarantee that a) you'll die to trash on the way because of getting lost/stuck/not knowing monster attack patterns as you run past them, b) you'll die to the boss because you're level 1 with your starting weapon and unless you know the boss pattern fairly well or have decent stats, you'll get owned. You could keep running past shit until you learn the boss and kill it at lvl 1, but that wouldn't be shorter or easier than doing it the "normal" way. It's great when you replay the game though, which the entire + system is about.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Noticed a nice couple little touches in the gameplay video. The estus flask icon starts full orange and every swig the player took the flask icon got a little emptier/greener and whenever the praying mobs noticed an agro mob coming near they kind of hid in an ostrich sort of way. I'm sure there are tons more but that was all I saw and don't really want to watch anymore due to discovering the layout of the world independently when it launches.

Column_sl

shitlord
Way late to this party, but just played through my first Souls game, and wow what fantastic game.

I did feel that the bosses after Smough were kind of easy tho, but may have to do with me being over leveled at that point.

The smough fight took me like a day, what a pair of cheesy bastards. Since I did it solo, and I messed up tons of shit in the game like not leveling up pyromancy while the vendors were still up the last boss could have been easier.

On to Dark Souls 2

rrr_img_106158.jpg

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I've beaten DS2 and Bloodborne but never DS1 or Demon's Souls, the controls just feel so stiff in comparison.

It probably doesn't help that I play the game like a retard, last time I did DS1 I got the Uchi by killing the merchant, killed Havel then went all the way back and ran down the back side of that dark/wooden area to kill the giant spider chick as my first boss.

DS3 looks great so far, the trailers seem like we'll see more monster type bosses and fewer humanoid/knight bosses so that will be nice.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If you kill Gwyn with any method other than 4-5 parries in a row you're doin' it wrong.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
What's wrong with a 5 second Gwyn encounter using darkbead? Get funny reactions doing that as a phantom.

Column_sl

shitlord
If you kill Gwyn with any method other than 4-5 parries in a row you're doin' it wrong.
I tried that method a couple times, I would get a good parry string going then I would miss one, and all hell would break loose. Probly because I used DSfix unlock at 60fps, makes the game do strange stuff.

Ended up just kiting him around that stone in the front, was pretty easy.

Started up Darksouls 2, it's pretty good so far.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
There are only like 2 or 3 challenging bosses in the base Dark Souls 2 game. But fuck the DLC bosses. They are just dumb.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm trying really hard to bring myself to beat Bloodborne, and I can't. The game is just so unsatisfying for me compared to DS1/DS2.

I think part of the problem stems from the fact that the TV I play my PS4 on is at an awful height. (I played DS1 and DS2 on PC.) When I sit down, it's too high so I have to crane my neck up, but when I stand up, it's too low, so I have to crane my neck down (and while I do like to play games while standing up, it does get tiring during long sessions).

Aside from that, I guess I just don't like the setting at all. I've just defeated the Vicar and am making my way down the alley of crazy women, and it's just not satisfying to me. I might try hooking up my PS4 to my computer monitor and playing it at my computer desk, maybe I'll enjoy it more like that.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Bloodborne doesn't change much throughout the game so if it's not the TV issue I wouldn't see your opinion changing much. Part of it could be the increased enemy density of Bloodborne which makes each individual encounter feel comparatively less meaningful than it does in DS1/2. Bloodborne also felt like the easiest game so far outside of the deeper Chalice Dungeons.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Bloodborne is easy compared to Demon Souls / Dark Souls. There's only one or two bosses in the entire game that are remotely difficult and they are optional (Ebrietas being #1), so that is probably why it feels unfulfilling.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I feel like a majority of the games I've played are easy compared to Demons Souls/Dark Souls...

Maybe even a vast majority.

Column_sl

shitlord
I feel like a majority of the games I've played are easy compared to Demons Souls/Dark Souls...

Maybe even a vast majority.
Maybe in diffculty ,but not in quality.

I could name a dozen platformers that are harder then Dark souls doesn't mean they were better. Dark Souls is a work of art

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I wish I could be like you and reliving all those Souls game for the first time.
smile.png
I just started Scholar of the first sin. I did DS2 with all the expansion but I never really played the master quest version. It feel fresh so far. I love how it play with how I remember Dark Soul 2. My issue with DS2 SotfS is that you seems to level way faster than vanilla DS2. I usually finished the game at level 70-75(no DLC) and I'm already level 60 and I just finished no man's warf.

Column_sl

shitlord
Yeah, that is happening to me as well. In Dark Souls because I made a lot of mistakes I felt pretty weak up until the halfway point then I started to get really strong.

In DS2 I feel pretty strong right away and levels are really easy to get. I am also just finishing up the wharf.

This could also be attributed to having experience playing these games now.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On Bloodborne's subhect, I'm actually going through it atm, it's pretty good but yeah I don't think I like it as much as Souls. Few things annoy me, like how seemingly mashing attacks can actually beat bosses because of the regen and shit. They made the combat faster paced and stuff and less reliant on blocks, but I haven't used a block build since demon souls anyway, I just find them boring and I always go like fast weapons(rapiers, daggers, scimitars etc) or big 2H, and I don't block shit other than arrows and what not. I feel like Bloodborne dodge has a ton more iframes though, so it makes it kinda easy, and then you wail on the boss and even if you get clipped by a small hit as the boss turns around, np you can heal that. Makes it look kinda easy, especially with fast flasks and a ton of them.

Another issue I have with the game is the lack of weapons. The weapons they have are kinda nice with the 2modes and shit, but the issue I have is they use the same system of weapons being accessible as you progress, however you don't have options for each weapon type early on. In souls, you can get a shitty(or the BiS) dagger right from the start, and a Zweihander, and an axe, and a hammer and a sword and so on, all from the start/within 20mins of the start. They're not the best version of the weapon type(most of the time), but they're accessible right away so you can pick your style and then have meaningful upgrades to that style as you progresss through the game when better versions drop.

In Bloodborne however, since there's only one weapon per style, it's possible to go through the game for an extended period of time without being able to use that weapon. I wanted fast skill based weapons, and your options are really limited for this unless you kill a NPC early on(which I did). And once you have the weapon, there's basically no upgrade in sight, that's what you're using for the rest of the game. You can modify the weapons obviously, but that's not different than souls upgrade systems other than giving you more freedom to customize them. And the weapons having 2 modes isn't really much different than having 2 different weapons in Souls. Sure you can also have 2 weapons in Bloodborne, but a lot of time it feels kinda useless to do so because your main weapon probably covers both aspects you'd want anyway(fast hits and slow hits, with different reach so you can "aoe" or single target efficiently, most weapons do these 2).

And then they killed magic builds entirely. There's a little bit of magic, but very little really, and it's not class defining at all as far as I could tell. In Souls, you ended up with 3 fully unique magic builds(4 maybe in souls 2, I don't remember if curses and shit could make a full build). Arcane mage, Fire mage and Holy mage(simplifying). And you could mix and match these with weapon types to make stuff like paladins, right from the start. Bloodborne basically removes that aspect entirely, so that feels even more limiting. Ranged weapon builds also seem pretty much not viable until the later parts of the game as far as I could tell. Not that ranged builds were particularily viable in souls either, but I think they were still a bit better.

So yeah I hope they stay closer to Souls game for DS3, they can definitely implement some shit from Bloodborne, but not too much would be fine. Stuff like the weapon upgrades with "gems" you can put in and remove is pretty great for example, since Souls had a way more rigid upgrade path. I guess potentially adding firearms would be pretty ok too, as long as they don't replace bows and crossbows. And weapons that can change forms would be nice too for some of the high end weapons.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I've been replaying through DS1 again with friends, the one thing i want from DS3 is a reliable way to play consistently with friends hnnngghhhhh. Some times it takes us like 15 minutes of dropping signs to fucking find each other, it's mad annoying.

Also, forgot how easy DS1 is lol

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've been replaying through DS1 again with friends, the one thing i want from DS3 is a reliable way to play consistently with friends hnnngghhhhh. Some times it takes us like 15 minutes of dropping signs to fucking find each other, it's mad annoying.

Also, forgot how easy DS1 is lol
I think they mentionned it'd be easier? Doesn't bother me since most of the time I play offline anyway, but yeah it probably wouldn't hurt. Kinda trivializes a lot of fights, but that's an ok choice.