Dark Souls 3

khalid

Unelected Mod
Beat the game something like 15 times now. It isn't a matter of wanting caster alternatives so the game is easy.

Fuck off with the git gud crap in relation to balance.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
When a game's AI is nearly incapable of dealing with ranged attacks, the only way to balance offensive spells is to nerf them into complete uselessness. Or take the Bloodborne route and remove almost all of it.

I prefer the latter myself, since I think it's pretty clear that Miyazaki and co. don't have much interest in making magic a legitimate playstyle.

khalid

Unelected Mod
It was a joke khalid, I didn't realize how emotionally invested you were in this game

15 times.. yikes..
Sorry bro, didn't realize you were joking! Just got a bit irritated that everytime you talk about balance issues in the DS3 community, you have a certain portion of people that act like you are asking this because you can't beat the game or handle the difficulty.

As for the 15 times... First I beat it with curved greatsword, then I wanted to try a strength build. Then was like gotta try sorc, that sucked, so tried pyro. That was cool, but wanted to try UGS. Got pissed I died to Pontiff a few times during my last playthough, so did a parry playthrough. Then thought great axes might be fun... It never ends.

Okay, I might have a problem.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Sorry bro, didn't realize you were joking! Just got a bit irritated that everytime you talk about balance issues in the DS3 community, you have a certain portion of people that act like you are asking this because you can't beat the game or handle the difficulty.

As for the 15 times... First I beat it with curved greatsword, then I wanted to try a strength build. Then was like gotta try sorc, that sucked, so tried pyro. That was cool, but wanted to try UGS. Got pissed I died to Pontiff a few times during my last playthough, so did a parry playthrough. Then thought great axes might be fun... It never ends.

Okay, I might have a problem.
What STR weap did you use?

khalid

Unelected Mod
What STR weap did you use?
For my first str playthrough, was Glaive to Gundyr's halberd. Gundyr's Halberd is probably my favorite weapon in the game. Awesome moveset, great damage, great reach, looks badass.

Glaive is good enough to beat the game with also, so it isn't like you are gimp waiting to get Gundyr's. Just make sure to send Greirat on his first pillage and you can get one as early as right after the great oak. Can also get winged knight one early if you want to farm the fat knight.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd question whether or not you found anaccuratedamage calculator if it's claiming that katanas are in any way OP. My experience with a 40/40/40(luck) build is that they are decent but nothing special, and both straight swords and curved swords leave them in the dust.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Man, found a damage calculator, and Katanas are always so friggin OP in these games.
Are you talking about this one?

spreadsheet with full AR calculation : darksouls3

Katanas definitely don't look overpowered, and having played through with them, the only Katana that feels really strong is the washing pole. Curved and straight swords are superior to anything but the washing pole's crazy range.

The thing that always stands out being OP is the Dark Sword. Seems whenever I'm using that spreadsheet to try and figure out what will be good for a build, the Dark Sword with some infusion is always near the top. When you add in its sweet range, its just hard to justify using other things sometimes. Fuck it though, I hate it.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord

Katanas definitely don't look overpowered, and having played through with them, the only Katana that feels really strong is the washing pole. Curved and straight swords are superior to anything but the washing pole's crazy range.

The thing that always stands out being OP is the Dark Sword. Seems whenever I'm using that spreadsheet to try and figure out what will be good for a build, the Dark Sword with some infusion is always near the top. When you add in its sweet range, its just hard to justify using other things sometimes. Fuck it though, I hate it.
Can attest to the claim that the Washing Pole seems better than other katanas. Used it through most of my first playthrough as a dex build and it was the only weapon of its type that performed as I'd hoped. It doesn't seem much slower than other katanas (itisslow, but so, inexplicably, are smaller katanas) and its reach made a lot of really annoying enemies (hi2u, jailers) a lot easier to deal with. And its bleed effect, particularly when resined, put out some ridiculous damage on several bosses.

The only other weapon I liked as much (through that playthrough, anyway) was Anri's. Never tried the Dark Sword.

radditsu

I am thinking in PVP, I seem to get BTFO when im trading licks and I am using my Sunlight Straight sword. I may have just been tired and cranky last night.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Well, in pvp you are going to be facing washing pole after washing pole, so yeah that sucks.

I don't pvp that much (just when I get invaded), but seems that estoc wins against washing pole? I dunno, faster and also has a big range.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
If you're pvping you really ought to try ultra greatswords. With astora greatsword I really easily dominate washing pole users, 99% of the time theyre predictable fucks and do the running attack to try and poke you with its range. Use your range and time attacks to stomp straight sword users. The only times Ive really lost is making dumb mistakes like getting greedy getting the finishing blow on someone or another good player with a glaive/big sword.

Estoc is easy to counter as well. If you know how to use hyper armor properly and keep an eye on your stamina theres nothing that can beat an UGS.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Took a lot of tries on dancer and Gundyr but I am almost done with my low level pvp silent assassin twink. Level 25 raw astora +2 and bandit dagger + 2 with a buckler and grass crest shield, hornet ring, slumbering dragon ring, cat ring and chlor ring. Right now I'm just dried fingering in people to fight around the undead settlement but eventually I'll farm 10 tongues for the rosaria ring to replace the chlor ring and call him good.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Try taking someone down with fireballs or soul arrows at lvl 20-40 1v1

Hitting them while they are engaged with a mob is another story. Or forcing them to roll to deplete their endurance while fighting a mob. Or keeping them busy while a fast/aggressive mob is on them and poking with spells.

If you're invading just throw all that fair and honorable "bow first" shit right out the window and quit being a knuckle head!

Now... if you're being invaded by some estoc spammer at those level ranges and have to 1v1 while mobs help them... heh yikes, summon a phantom (part of the game)

Diemess

I prefer the Chaos Blade. Dope blade to use for a dex build. I used that blade for pretty much the whole game. Can't infuse it but it scales rank S.