Dark Souls 3

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dark Souls is Dark Souls. If you enjoyed but didn't beat 2, that's fine. You'll enjoy and (possibly) not beat 3. But if you didn't enjoy and it felt like you were just beating your head against a wall? Stay away from all 'Souls games. Simple as that, really.

DS3 is really fun imo. I haven't had much time to play it since school is ramping towards finals for me, but what I've seen I've definitely liked. And I really wish I didn't become used to cutlass attack speed/range, because trying to use other items is a stark contrast now~
Yeah, I'll probably pass then. Just not my type of game. I did like the class system, but it just felt like such a slog, and I wasn't getting excited for passing a hard area, and was just annoyed that 5 minutes later I was up against yet another difficult enounter. Whether that was a boss, or just most of the time a couple dudes that would wreck me over and over. Maybe I'm like that dude on reddit, and every encounter seemed like an epic fight. Nothing was easy in the game to me, but that's kind of how it was made, so I understood.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Champion Gundyr can kiss my ass. I've finally met my match in my hyper aggressive playstyle - a hyper aggressive boss.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, I'll probably pass then. Just not my type of game. I did like the class system, but it just felt like such a slog, and I wasn't getting excited for passing a hard area, and was just annoyed that 5 minutes later I was up against yet another difficult enounter. Whether that was a boss, or just most of the time a couple dudes that would wreck me over and over. Maybe I'm like that dude on reddit, and every encounter seemed like an epic fight. Nothing was easy in the game to me, but that's kind of how it was made, so I understood.
I do remember your posts in the DS2 thread, sounded like you struggled quite a bit. I'd say it gets easier (it does) but this game ramps it up quite a bit right in the beginning. If you have trouble with regular mobs, the first boss is going to eat you alive. And he shows up about 3 minutes in.

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Two options if you like to play but suck at Souls:

Git Gud or Embrace the cheese.

You can cheese all difficult parts by abusing range attacks, the level geometry, mob AI, etc.

Easy start to DS3: play as knight, upgrade your longsword with raw, level vitality (hp) first to at least 27, upgrade and use the longbow. Once comfortable start leveling str/dex to 30 and switch infusion for quality build. Enjoy the game.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
Best aspect of the Souls games: Boss fights and how they keep you at the edge of your seat.

Worst aspect of the Souls games: Itemisation progress, by mid game you are pretty much set up and then it's a matter of mopping up the rest of the content.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think the bonfire placement in DS3 is very wtf especially after some bosses. Light the boss bonfire and about 3 feet away is another one.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I've been enjoying the game quite a lot since switching my build, but boy did I ever struggle with Pontiff. I got him extremely low a few times before just running out of patience and doing it co-oop. Oddly, the co-op battle was super fun, whereas I hadn't been having any fun at all banging my head against him solo. I think it helped that the co-op player wasn't some uber god, he was basically a sunbro with the same kind of gear as me so the fight was still challenging but we also did it first time. Not hard, but just challenging enough to be fun.

It's the first boss in any Souls game I haven't taken down solo during my first playthrough of the game so I'll be looking forward to meeting him again when I play through again with a Pyro or Faith build.

I agree that itemisation is lousy near the latter parts of the game. Everything that isn't a Titanite Scale is completely useless to me now.

Funnily, I also figured out my own way to cheese the Knights in Anor Londo. I enjoyed doing that immensely just for payback on those little bitches knocking me off ledges and shit in the past.

Good times.

P.S. I know there is a sit-down way of cheesing Pontiff but I don't look at any meta-content for my first playthrough of Souls games so I didn't feel like implementing that strategy.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Still sitting at only 30 int or so on my sorceror playthrough, but I'm wondering if I'm getting to the point where an int infusion might outperform my Raw ASS.

Any suggestions? Or just infuse a weapon with a good moveset?

Edit: tried tongue but hole. To no avail, alas.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
TBH Pontiff is just one of those bosses that if you don't learn to parry him you're going to have an exceedingly difficult time beating him.

I tried to go into the fight with my two hander and just wreck him like I do to most bosses and I think I took off 10% before he wombo-combo'd me down like the little bitch that I was.

I tossed a shield and found out he's extremely easy to parry, the window is huge on him (and believe me, I suck at parrying). Once I started parrying him, he was a piece of cake. There were even a few attempts where I missed the first parry and just started spamming the button and landed it on the next attack.

The only real difficult part was phase 2, but once you knew how to handle that it was cake too. Just stay pretty far distance from him and dodge the projectiles. When his clone jumps in the air, dodge that really quick and parry the Pontiff as he flies down.

I think I was able to kill him in 4 parries total with a Dark Sword+6

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I found out today that I could edit my own name and didn't need someone else to do it for me. Been a mod for like 16 months haha

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You probably want 60 int and a crystal/simple infused weapon.
Given that they didn't buff sorceries and also didn't nerf pyro in 1.06 (which still isn't up on Steam... wtf?), I'd probably invest in 30 faith to go with the 30 int instead. Unless he's dead set on being a sorcerer only, of course.

The combined B/B scaling of chaos and dark weapons is about the same as the S scaling of crystal and lightning, for the same amount of SL's invested.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Pontiff was my biggest struggle too, i didnt bother swapping to my anri straight sword at the time since it was only +2 and i was at 30 luck

That was a mistake, every hit did like 200 more damage even with thosw stats compared to a +6 raw astora's straight sword

Now im getting booty punched by nameless king lol

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've be dual-wielding the entire game and beat Pontiff just by rolling. It's a fun as hell fight. It took me about 20 attempts to beat him but once I finally got my rolling down it felt like such an achievement. Pontiff, Gundyr, and the final boss(finally got to him last night) have been my hardest fights so far. Gundyr and Cinder have shit in them that makes it pretty hard to roll. That fucking side kick and shoulder charge are motherfuckers.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Tonight I killed yhorm, Aldrich, and dancer. Think I had the most trouble with Aldrich, he has some bullshit damage.

Surprisingly dancer only took 3 attempts.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I one shotted Dancer not even knowing there was going to be a boss fight going into it. Just roll through his attacks and whack him a few times and repeat.

I don't know how you guys don't think nameless King is the hardest. That fucker took me like 15 tries, probably the only one that took more than 3 or 4. Last boss I think was on second or third attempt. Pontiff was kind of hard but you just gotta be patient. He doesn't have much health, just can't get greedy

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Tonight I killed yhorm, Aldrich, and dancer. Think I had the most trouble with Aldrich, he has some bullshit damage.

Surprisingly dancer only took 3 attempts.
Yeah outside of Nameless King, Aldrich was the hardest for me. And god damn...what a sterile nostalgia trip that area was. Disappointing as shit.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I one shotted Dancer not even knowing there was going to be a boss fight going into it. Just roll through his attacks and whack him a few times and repeat.

I don't know how you guys don't think nameless King is the hardest. That fucker took me like 15 tries, probably the only one that took more than 3 or 4. Last boss I think was on second or third attempt. Pontiff was kind of hard but you just gotta be patient. He doesn't have much health, just can't get greedy
Nameless king wrecked me a dozen times as well. Key was getting to phase two with most of your Estus flasks. Great boss though, really satisfying.