Dark Souls 3

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
Are any of the boss souls items worth it? I am at Irithyll City and playing a str/pyro/lightweight build. I got Havel's Ring from the Stray Demon wannabe and it's great, but the other stuff seem lackluster. Got also 1) the Black Serpent pyromancy from Wojnir (sp?) and it's horrible, slow casting time and short range, also not much of a damage upgrade from Fire Orb and 2) the Scholar's Candlestick, sword that works as a catalyst too, but low damage, might be worth it with high Int.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Scholar's Candlestick isn't a boss item, it's just a random drop (and one of the vendors sells it). You don't cast spells with it either, you put your court sorcerer staff in one hand and the candlestick in the other, and the candlestick gives +20% damage to all your sorceries.

P.S. You don't even need to meet the reqs to equip it to still get the damage bonus.

As for boss souls, pretty much just buy the spells and rings if you care about trophies, grab the crystal rapier because it has a +50 item discovery buff and that's really about it. You can make a build around some of the weapons, but they're more gimmicky than actually powerful.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
Yeah, just checked it, it's not the scholar's candlestick I got, it's the cleric's candlestick (item you can get from the Deacons of the Deep soul) - I guess it can be useful for a sorcery build but I am not going that way.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Cleric's candlestick is like a half-assed version of Dark Souls 2's Blue Flame. And by half-assed, I mean literally the only thing they kept from Blue Flame was the ability to cast sorceries with strong attack. All the stuff that made Blue Flame an interesting and often ideal choice is gone.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Beat the game today. I actually didn't think the Prince fight was that bad once you figured out how to dodge his big overhead magic slam attack. The last boss wasn't terrible either despite having a ton of hitpoints. My final build was awful though since I tried making Sorcery work and never bothered to reallocate my stats to correct that mistake.

It was good but I'm not going to try and rank it. My biggest problems with it are:

The aggression: Enemies are just way too aggressive. I said this before but there are times where I have no idea when I'm supposed to be able to retaliate let alone heal. Champion Gundyr and the Dragon Armor guy were some of the worst in that respect.

Linear: The game is VERY linear. In previous games you could end up in areas you, clearly, weren't meant to be in and the world felt very open. Not so in this one. It wasn't as bad as a hallway FPS game but I always felt that I there wasn't a ton of exploration in the game even with the optional areas.

Sorecery: Ever since the DLC from DS2 it's obvious that they didn't like how Sorcery worked. In DS3 Sorcery felt worthless to me.

Overall it was a good game but it definitely had some problems. Instead of doing a NG+ I'll probably start a new game up to fix some of my issues and get the better endings.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Nameless king wrecked me a dozen times as well. Key was getting to phase two with most of your Estus flasks. Great boss though, really satisfying.
After my first attempt I don't think I ever used more than maybe 2 on the first phase. It was just something about his move set in second phase, for some reason I couldn't time my rolls right and then he effectively 1 shot combod me. He just hits really hard, is hard to dodge, and has a ton of hp.

It's funny because on about my 3rd attempt I had him down to about 2-3 hits and with full life and he fucking just wrecks me.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Beat the game today. I actually didn't think the Prince fight was that bad once you figured out how to dodge his big overhead magic slam attack. The last boss wasn't terrible either despite having a ton of hitpoints. My final build was awful though since I tried making Sorcery work and never bothered to reallocate my stats to correct that mistake.

It was good but I'm not going to try and rank it. My biggest problems with it are:

The aggression: Enemies are just way too aggressive. I said this before but there are times where I have no idea when I'm supposed to be able to retaliate let alone heal. Champion Gundyr and the Dragon Armor guy were some of the worst in that respect.

Linear: The game is VERY linear. In previous games you could end up in areas you, clearly, weren't meant to be in and the world felt very open. Not so in this one. It wasn't as bad as a hallway FPS game but I always felt that I there wasn't a ton of exploration in the game even with the optional areas.

Sorecery: Ever since the DLC from DS2 it's obvious that they didn't like how Sorcery worked. In DS3 Sorcery felt worthless to me.

Overall it was a good game but it definitely had some problems. Instead of doing a NG+ I'll probably start a new game up to fix some of my issues and get the better endings.
Yeah I went full melee. Sorcery has always been pretty terrible on first run through in dark souls, I'll probably give it a shot in NG+ to see if it's any good

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Went through and killed dragon Armour today, only took a couple tries. Pretty easy.

I hit 50str finally so tossed on my FUGS. Absolutely fucking worthless. The damage is terrible for how slow it is and it's requirement of 50str. Feel like I wasted levelling str so high but I guess it helps for my dark sword.

Two main bosses left and a few side bosses. Just gonna finish the main ones and go back after. Unfortunately dragon boss was spoiled for me so I'll probably one shot him.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Finished up Archdragon Peak, watched a video of the bosses and saw I did the first boss completely wrong. It took me probably 20 minutes fighting that boss on the stairs not even noticing you could run off for the trick. I was two handing fume though so at least the head/tail hits were easy on him. Final boss of the area is probably the most amazing of the soulsborne games. Really loved this game as a whole and debating between doing NG+ to get the hidden ending or doing a whole new build from scratch. Anyone else get a really big Demon Souls World 1 vibe from Lothric castle, especially the final approach to the twins?

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Fuck, thought we were pretty careful to not spoil that fight because it's pretty cool.

And yeah, lothric gave off a Demon's Souls vibe. The terrible framerate further contributed to its authenticity.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I enjoy the aggressiveness of the mobs and bosses, especially after BB.

No boss in the game has really pushed my shit in, but that might be because at this point I'm a veteran. I'm immediately starting a ng in demon souls after this as I never beat it.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Looking around the sky gave me more of a Bloodborne vibe on the roofs before princes. Its been forever since i played demon's souls though.

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
Did anyone else feel like the game was rather short? I wondered after I finished my first playthroguh if it was even finished--the weird overlap between darkmoon and blue sentinel, all the hollowing stuff feels tacked on, etc. Maybe I just expected more out of the third and final installment in the series, but it didn't feel nearly as large and complex as vanilla ds2.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its shorter than the others, with fewer bosses. Especially compared to DS2.

Hopefully some DLC will help correct that.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Stay away from the Pontiff bonfire on PC. Some guy is hacking and getting people softbanned and streaming it.

PSA: If you get invaded by Malcolm Reynolds, suicide or disconnect to avoid softban. : darksouls3
Soft banning in DS3 - YouTube

Hits them with a dagger that adds souls to their account, anti-cheat system detects modified game files and insta-softbans them. At least thats how I believe it works. They get summoned to his world, he turns invisible and teleports to them, then it's as simple as hitting them once and they just disappear. Really sad.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
We don't know yet for a fact that he's getting people banned but yeah. Not worth the risk obviously.

He's been live streaming that shit for like 7 hours now.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah, the one aspect that I felt was short was the rush between some bosses at the end. Pointiff to Aldrich was a mere 3 areas, one of which you just rush through because fuck dragonslayer archers, Aldrich / Dancer back to back, Profaned Capital felt really short as well.

Lothric Castle and Grand Archives at least were really long again.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Went through and killed dragon Armour today, only took a couple tries. Pretty easy.

I hit 50str finally so tossed on my FUGS. Absolutely fucking worthless. The damage is terrible for how slow it is and it's requirement of 50str. Feel like I wasted levelling str so high but I guess it helps for my dark sword.

Two main bosses left and a few side bosses. Just gonna finish the main ones and go back after. Unfortunately dragon boss was spoiled for me so I'll probably one shot him.
Fumes was good back in the beta, but they nerf hammered mega hard since then unfortunately. If you're mega invested in str your options are mostly great axes on the current patch. Dragonslayer greataxe is legit as fuck.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Doing NG+ and god I hate the Farron keep area. Not because it's hard, just annoying as fuck