Dark Souls Movie

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Okay, before everyone goes crazy - disclaimer:there is no official announcement for a Dark Souls movie. I made the thread here instead of the Movie House or DS2 thread so as to not completely derail the DS2 thread or put it in a subforum with people who might not even know what the franchise is.

I'm curious to see how people would feel about turning the Demon's/Dark Souls franchise into a movie. Who would you cast, how would the story play out, is there a solid enough backbone cinematic wise in all aspects to actually have a film of substance, etc.?

Personally, I think the world is absolutely perfect for a movie - the problem would be a completely silent protaganist and the actual objective of storytelling - Dark Souls for instance, when you get all through the way to the end, actually seems like it would hold up well as a script with a few tweaks. How would the protaganist work? Who would you trust to write the dialogue, if any? Would it work as a completely silent protaganist?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I would only like it if it had no writing and had a complex enough plot that to understand it you needed to see it multiple times. They'd also have quizzes on the plot every 15 minutes and stole your clothes then kicked you out of the theatre if you failed the quiz.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
It could be like those interactive movies they had in the 70's and 80's except if you choose for the protagonist to go right instead of left in a hallway the usher punches you in the solar plexus and fucks your girlfriend.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
? Would it work as a completely silent protaganist?
rrr_img_50209.jpg

Tol_sl

shitlord
I'm curious to see how people would feel about turning the Demon's/Dark Souls franchise into a movie.
Curb your foolish enthusiasm, you know Uwe Boll: The Destroyer of Dreams, would just end up with the rights to it, and we would all be sad.

Szlia

It would be tough to make it work. At least if you want to preserve the mood, pace and narrative style of the game.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
So the movie would involve wandering around aimlessly until a barrel rolls down a set of stairs and fucks you up. Thanks for coming folks!

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
So the movie would involve wandering around aimlessly until a barrel rolls down a set of stairs and fucks you up. Thanks for coming folks!
You get firebombed, knifed, eaten by a rat, shotten with a crossbow, speared and fucked up by a huge ass black knight before you even make it to the barrel.

See? Plenty of action here.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
A movie where the 'hero' dies in about 5 mins into it?

Yeah... not very interesting

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Direct it like Memento, but in reverse sort of. Show him kicking ass all the way to the end, with flashbacks that show him dying to the myriad shit before. Have the entire movie be harsh breathing/grunts/curses as the only real spoken words, until he comes across like 1-2 characters (The sun knight guy and the first dude at the fire at the Firelink Shrine at most) which do the majority of the talking. Then have it finish with Gwyn's death, a monologue about his choice, and then leave him standing there before the altar as it cuts to credits.

Grats, movie.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
The games pretty much act like a movie, especially Dark Souls. Some of the boss fights alone are fairly cinematic in nature.

If they decided to make an actual movie, it would need to be CG and the game studio should have strong oversight.

Maybe the studio could just do some short cinematic films themselves, in the same nature as their commercials.