Darkest Hour (2017)

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Darkest Hour

Genre: Drama, History, War

Director: Joe Wright

Cast: Gary Oldman, Lily James, Ben Mendelsohn, Kristin Scott Thomas, Richard Lumsden, Stephen Dillane, Samuel West, Jordan Waller, Ronald Pickup, Charley Palmer Rothwell, Hannah Steele, Nicholas Jones, Philip Martin Brown, Brian Pettifer, Hilton McRae, David Strathairn, Jeremy Child, Mary Antony, Tim Ingall, Tom Ashley

Release: 2017-11-22

Plot: A thrilling and inspiring true story begins on the eve of World War II as, within days of becoming Prime Minister of Great Britain, Winston Churchill must face one of his most turbulent and defining trials: exploring a negotiated peace treaty with Nazi Germany, or standing firm to fight for the ideals, liberty and freedom of a nation. As the unstoppable Nazi forces roll across Western Europe and the threat of invasion is imminent, and with an unprepared public, a skeptical King, and his own party plotting against him, Churchill must withstand his darkest hour, rally a nation, and attempt to change the course of world history.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Saw a screening for this. I love the history and all but it was just so eerie how Gary Oldman nailed everything. The movie dwells on some of the lesser-known moments in Churchill's tenure like the "Are we beasts" moment, and it's really hard to imagine anyone else doing it better.

It pretty much bumps up Gary Oldman as the greatest character actor alive today.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
that looks good, and i don't typically like this sort of movie.

and DAMN what a makeup job on oldman if you didn't know it was him, you wouldn't recognize him.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oldman gave the performance of his career here. At least the Oscars got this right.

• 1Like

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Oldman gave the performance of his career here. At least the Oscars got this right.

Agree. Was free money if you bet on Oldman to win this. The film was basically a concerted effort to win best actor.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
You can do an oranges to oranges comparison with Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln. Although Lewis was undoubtedly superb, Gary Oldman is just on a whole other level.

My opinion: Gangs of New York - Bill the Butcher - Daniel Day Lewis - single best acting in any movie, ever, in the history of cinema.

• 1Picard

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Love Gary but I liked John Lithgow's version of winston better.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
is this really a fun/interesting movie to watch or is it purely "watch gary oldman act his ass off"

i watched I, Tonya the other day and it was interesting enough, not sure anyone deserved any oscars for it though

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is more a Gary Oldman movie than anything else, but...

If you like WW2, you will find the rest of the set-piece and story to be a fun watch. Most people don't realize how close to the brink of disaster Britain was when Churchill came in and told Hitler to get fucked. Fact remains, if Hitler had put the same amount of men and resources into invading UK that he did into Eastern Front, then the war turns out very differently.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I saw this movie yesterday. I really liked it, it was interesting to see how alone Britain was at a point in time on WW2. I have never read the whole speech and I was really moved by "the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old world"

It was a very diplomatic way of asking america for help, but without losing face and respecting America's decision of not joining so far. It was more of a "when you are ready to join. well be here fighting."

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Well to be fair, England (and France) basically let this escalate by allowing Poland (by Nazis) and then Finland (by Nazis and Soviets) to get rolled without sending any of the reinforcements they promised and then doing dick about it. And yeah, Hitler had every opportunity to decimate GB but just didn't make the right moves.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database